Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Aneurysm, aka My First Telephone Interview

Aneurysm, aka My First Telephone Interview
TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2007, 07:46 PM

Hey all. For those that don't know already, I'm a 2nd year student at the University of Arizona, working toward a double major in computer science and computer engineering. Subsequently, I'm currently in the market for a summer internship, and applied to numerous software companies in January and February (and even one or two more recently than that). I had a few interviews, but nothing panned out.

After four months of silence, I just received an email from an Apple University Relations recruiter, saying that I should expect a phone call from a "manager in software applications" some time this week for an interview. Problem is, I've never had a telephone interview before. I've sat down with engineers from various companies including Google and Microsoft in the past for a face-to-face interview, but never anything over the phone.

And so, I come to the MacNN community asking for any advice or suggestions you can give me. I would absolutely kill to get this position, and I want to make as good an impression as I possibly can.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2007, 08:01 PM

i would make a list of questions that you think someone would ask over the phone and write down the answer you think is best. you are applying for the job, so you probably know what kind of stuff the interviewer is looking for.
also, if he or she asks a question you haven't thought of, do say umm, or uhh (makes you look dumb) just be yourself and answer truthfully

alex

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2007, 09:13 PM

Don't expect different questions. Do remember that voice is the only option you have to communicate yourself - so no 'umms', and make sure that anything you might normally communicate verbally, like smiles, etc, you make sure are conveyed in your voice.

Atomic Rooster
Apr 14, 2007, 09:22 PM

Bullshet your head off.

...or dazzle them with brilliance if you have it.

alligator
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2007, 09:58 PM

Telephone interviews are used to screen out candidates who inflate their skills beyond what they put on a resume. We have our HR department screen out candidates that really don't fit what we are looking for. If you are what they need, you'll make it through without any problems. If not, then the job wasn't right for you anyway. Good luck!

anonymac
Baninated
Apr 14, 2007, 11:20 PM

Just be yourself and don't memorize anything. 'Member you're a benz baby, black-on-black, with 23" rims rolling down the highway. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2007, 12:43 AM

Tell em you would prefer to do a video iChat

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2007, 02:41 PM

Make sure that when they call, you've showered, dressed, gotten ready for the day etc. Also, don't do the interview on the couch or your bed. Sit at your desk or stand. Make sure you've had plenty to eat...

Seems like common sense stuff but you'd be surprised how many people talk about doing these things in their underwear. Phone interviews are usually just for screening purposes so don't sweat it too much. If you do one thing to prepare...have a GOOD answer for the question "Tell me about yourself."
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2007, 03:02 PM

Telephone interviews are pretty common now, they're used to cull the list so managers don't waste their time.
Michael

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2007, 03:14 PM

Have some good questions to ask at the end of the interview, to show that you are really interested in the job.

Good luck!
This signature is obsolete.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 15, 2007, 05:23 PM

Make sure that when they call, you've showered, dressed, gotten ready for the day etc. Also, don't do the interview on the couch or your bed. Sit at your desk or stand. Make sure you've had plenty to eat...

Seems like common sense stuff but you'd be surprised how many people talk about doing these things in their underwear.
Well, it is a telephone interview, after all. I’ve only ever had one such interview, but I conducted the whole thing in my underwear, waltzing back and forth between my bed and my desk.

I got the job.

Phone interviews are usually just for screening purposes so don't sweat it too much.
Depends. In my case, I was told at the end of the interview that I’d got the job.

If you do one thing to prepare...have a GOOD answer for the question "Tell me about yourself."

That, as well as the “Why are you applying for this particular job?” and “Why are you the best person to hire for this job?”

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2007, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Well, it is a telephone interview, after all. I’ve only ever had one such interview, but I conducted the whole thing in my underwear, waltzing back and forth between my bed and my desk.

I got the job.
It's still a mindset thing. Congrats on the job but there are a lot of factors so why take the risk?

Depends. In my case, I was told at the end of the interview that I’d got the job.
Note the word "usually."
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 16, 2007, 11:34 AM

It's still a mindset thing. Congrats on the job but there are a lot of factors so why take the risk?
Didn’t have much of a choice, really. I applied for the job online and, without any previous warning, they called me at 7:30 on a Saturday morning. She was nice, though, so apparently she didn’t hold it against me that she woke me up.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2007, 11:39 AM

All I can say is make sure wherever you're talking is quiet and has no distractions.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2007, 02:16 PM

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. I just wish she would have let me know when I should expect a call. All I know is that it'll be some evening this week. Better make sure I keep my cell phone charged...

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2007, 02:20 PM

ooo, the, in case you're "busy" will you take this call act.

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2007, 09:48 PM

Being natural is, without a doubt, the best policy. Strangely enough, all the random jobs I've seemed to apply for literally interview you on the phone when you apply. It's totally natural and painless, along with the bonus that you can't prepare for it. The thing I like the most about it is that it's quick and you don't leave feeling like you just got screened or interviewed; you leave feeling like you had a genuine conversation about the position you're applying for.

If you don't feel like you had a conversation, you probably tried too hard. Just relax and have fun.

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2007, 01:29 AM

Still no call, and one last question: should I be expecting to have to program over the phone during the interview?

alligator
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2007, 08:21 PM

Yes, get yourself a 2400 baud modem that you can hold up to your rotary phone. Then quickly code some genius code and upload it to apple via your phone and modem.

TheoCryst  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2007, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
Yes, get yourself a 2400 baud modem that you can hold up to your rotary phone. Then quickly code some genius code and upload it to apple via your phone and modem.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2007, 09:14 PM

You might have to code in your interview. This is often not the case, but Google makes you code in phone interviews for certain positions. By code, I mean that you write out an algorithm while you're talking about your thought process, and then you clearly describe the algorithm you've come up with. Or you might just have to answer a bunch of technical questions. Or neither, and they might just want to get a feel for your interests and experience.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

alligator
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2007, 09:36 PM

Oh, I guess you were serious. Sorry - I thought you were taking it to an extreme. They really make you code during an interview on the phone?

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2007, 02:10 AM

Tell the interviewer you're in a hurry, so "chop chop." Explain that you "gotta see a guy about some stuff." Then, after about 20 minutes, cut the interviewer off in mid-sentence and tell him or her that you've had about enough and best be going. And hang up. They'll be intrigued enough to call you back.

(Seriously, there's lots of good advice above. I just wanted to add some levity. Good luck! )
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules