Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adobe CS3 available for download

Adobe CS3 available for download
mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2007, 09:34 AM

So is anyone purchasing CS3 from adobe and choosing to download it (legally)?

The web premium upgrade is over 2 gig and while its nice to have instant gratification I think I want the discs in hand.

I can get CS3 now from adobe (and download it) or if I order it from amazon I wait until the 20th but I have the discs in hand..
Michael

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2007, 09:38 AM

I think it might matter if you plan to resell the software at some later date. Otherwise, I don't think it matters. You will, of course, back up your download.

jmelrose
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2007, 12:28 PM

Anyone know if there is a difference between the download version and what you get on disc(s)?

I figure at 3.2GB, it might be much easier to backup to a DVD and be able to install off of just ONE disc as opposed to the 4-disc-shuffle a CS2 install currently entails.
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

Current rig: 15" MBP i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 1TB Flash Drive

mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2007, 12:51 PM

I would assume that the disc version of CS3 is on DVD
Michael

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2007, 12:57 PM

If the download version were a "license to download it again whenever you need to" then that'd be great.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2007, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by jmelrose View Post
Anyone know if there is a difference between the download version and what you get on disc(s)?
It has to be the same. How could it be different?

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2007, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by jmelrose View Post

I figure at 3.2GB, it might be much easier to backup to a DVD and be able to install off of just ONE disc as opposed to the 4-disc-shuffle a CS2 install currently entails.
Why would there be a difference?

jmelrose
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2007, 08:37 PM

Well, I don't know what's on the hard disc, but I just downloaded the full Web Premium Suite.

It comes as a set of disc images, and here is what the EDU Web Premium Suite comes with:
Creative Suite 3 Web Premium-Content.dmg
Fireworks CS3 Content.dmg
Dreamweaver CS3 User Guide.pdf
Installation Instructions.pdf
Flash CS3 Professional Content.dmg
Install CS3 Web Premium.dmg
Photoshop CS3 Professional Content.dmg
Illustrator CS3 Content.dmg

I backed everything up to a DVD, but it seems I can re-download whenever I need to. There's no listed limit on downloads, nor a "download by" date. In fact, all my old Macromedia downloads are still in my account, and list as being able to download today if I want to again.

I'm guessing the ability to re-download etc is a benefit of the activation process. Clearly it doesn't matter how many times I download, I can only run and install it so many times. Nice to know that besides my backup, I can get the suite from the Adobe servers. I wonder if, as the suite gets updates (X.01-type ones), the main download image gets updated as well as individual updaters/applications.

Overall, a smooth process. No problems here. Glad to have a Universal version of Acrobat!
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

Current rig: 15" MBP i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 1TB Flash Drive

mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2007, 10:53 AM

Well I just opted for CS web premium myself and the puppy is downloading. I guess my worries were allayed by the fact we don't seem to have any limitations on downloading and I also can burn it to a dvd

The last question I had regarding this was purchasing the upgrade flavor of CS3 and using the edu version of CS premium. It took two days for me to get a hold of adobe and countless transfers but they seemed to tell me my Education CS serial number will work. Not being an active student at the moment means I don't qualify I'm not a 100% convinced it will work, but once it finishes downloading I'll find out.
Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules