Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Interested in applying for a job...

Interested in applying for a job...
GSixZero
Mac Elite
May 5, 2007, 08:32 PM

So there's this company whose website I've kept my eye on regarding open job opportunities. They're a small adventure travel company who designs and sells different travel packages. I love travel and have been to 35+ countries on 4 continents, so I feel like I'm a great traveler and have a good sense of what people are looking for in travel. I went of one of their trips last year and it was fantastic!

Anyways, the job sounds awesome, almost exactly the kind of thing I'd like to get into. Problem is the posting asks for a bunch of qualifications that I don't have, basically someone who has a few years experience designing and coordinating trips, of which I have, very little experience.

I know it doesn't hurt to apply, but I'm pretty sure my resume will just be round filed. My question is: Should I spin the experience I do have to try to appear qualified? Or should I approach it as "I know I'm not your dream candidate, but here are the reasons why I think I would be a great choice" and then go on to spin what I've done into the job requisition as best I can?

Its seems weak leading off saying why I can't do the job, but it seems weaker to try to appear way more qualified than I am.

Thoughts?

ImpulseResponse

design219
Professional Poster
May 5, 2007, 08:50 PM

I wouldn't pad your resume, but since it is a long shot at a chance of a lifetime, I would put some effort into dazzeling them. Think of a creative way to cut throught the clutter. Maybe you could create a travel plan of someplace places you have been and really make it sound like the most fantastic trip in the world.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

anonymac
Baninated
May 6, 2007, 01:53 AM

Don't try to lie or exaggerate or explain away your inexperience. They will just think you are an idiot. If you are right for the job, they will hire you even without experience. If you are aren't, then you will have to look elsewhere.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2007, 02:33 AM

Yeah, I would respect them enough not to try and get one past them. But it's definitely in your interest to really explain why you feel uniquely qualified even though you're not exactly what they asked for. I wouldn't frame it as "I'm not your dream candidate," but more as you having different qualifications (which hopefully is how you feel if you believe you could keep this job once you land it).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

alligator
Mac Elite
May 6, 2007, 08:48 AM

You need to get past HR and to the real person making the hiring choice.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
May 6, 2007, 02:41 PM

Hiring for jobs that are worth having is usually very personal. If they like you and think you have passion for what you'd be hired to do, then that's a huge plus and does more than your resume can do for you. Good luck!
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

GSixZero  (op)
Mac Elite
May 7, 2007, 03:50 AM

Thanks for the good words. I don't think HR is a problem, as I'm guessing the company has 5-8 employees, so I'm guessing my resume will be read by whoever is hiring. At this point the best I can do is my best. I'll frame my argument as well as possible... hopefully it works out.

Thanks for your advice.

jd

ImpulseResponse

Forum Links
Forum Rules