Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > wireless card for Power Mac 1.6 GHz???

wireless card for Power Mac 1.6 GHz???
gomeroh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2007, 07:03 PM

I have a 1.6 GHz Power Mac that does not have Airport Extreme installed. I'm moving the machine to a location that I cannot use ethernet to connect to the internet. I have a wireless router that I use for other machines so that part is covered. Does anyone have any suggestions for a wireless access point? I kind of remember that this early G5 used an external antenna when you had the Apple wireless card in it and I'm not even sure that there is a slot in here if it didn't come that way from the factory. I know there have to be other options (PCI or USB, etc) but if anyone knows of something cheap that works well, I'd sure appreciate being guided in the right direction!

discotronic
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 08:57 PM

I had a 1.8GHz G5 single (late 2004) model that shipped with the external antenna even though it didn't have the AE card installed. There is a place to plug it in at the very top of the row of connections on the back of the machine that is marked with the Airport symbol. If yours is the same and you don't have the antenna you can get one on eBay. Check here:

Apple Airport Extreme G5 Wireless Antenna A1066 CH New! - (eBay item 330180149323 end time Nov-03-07 19:54:24 PDT)

There is a slot on the board for the card. On the later G5 models the slot was taken away.

A refurbished AirPort Extreme card can be had for $29 plus shipping from the Apple Store in the Special Deals section.

Your system may be different.

gomeroh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2007, 09:42 PM

You are right. I found the antenna in my desk drawer, where I put it 3+ years ago. I'll go to the online apple store and pick up a refurb. extreme card! Thank you very much for responding.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 10:26 PM

Not a problem

Forum Links
Forum Rules