Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > A petition worth signing...

A petition worth signing...
Tesselator
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2008, 03:10 PM

A nice way to ask Apple to include a GeForce upgrade option for us Mac Pro 1.1 and 1.0 users.

A call for a GeForce 8800 GT for "the rest of us." Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]

Spread the link.

Richard Richard
Jan 14, 2008, 03:26 PM

rob art ( from barefeats ) posted the link at apple discussions and got banned !

so much for free speech , eh ?
mac 4 evaah

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Richard View Post
rob art ( from barefeats ) posted the link at apple discussions and got banned !

so much for free speech , eh ?
Well he broke the rules of the forum, so its not surprising. He accepted those rules when he signed up to apple discussions and he posted something he shouldn't have. Free speech has nothing to do with it. We're not talking about a government restricting speech, but rather a company owned forum that is specifically for tech support.

btw, I think these online petitions are virtually useless. They have 0 ability of making any changes.

edit:
by the way their heavy-handed approach is one reason why I don't go over there

newtech
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2008, 05:13 PM

Even in a "free" society "free speech" is seldom "free".

Also free advice is often worth what you pay for it.

PaperNotes
Jan 14, 2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by newtech View Post
Even in a "free" society "free speech" is seldom "free".
Especially when you have to pay money to sign a petition. Count this as my signature.

Tesselator  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2008, 11:53 PM

You don't have to pay to sign. Just go there and enter Name & Email (both can be bogus if you like). I believe that
specific service counts your IP and will tally only one vote per IP address but you can comment multiple times under
different names or something like that.

As for that guy getting banned I do believe the fault (100% of it) rests squarely on the shoulders of the apple site,
its policies, and its staff! Manners override rules everytime and in common sense! It's when they don't that people
holler "unfair". Web manners mandate that such a small infraction or mistake be met with a warning and perhaps
accompanied by a post removal first - before any such actions as banishment be enacted. I think the mods are
acting from and like the power structure that has gripped our society (read police state) for far too long.

Anyway, all the more reason to sign their petition IMO.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 01:06 AM

Probably more effective to go to Apple's site and give them some feedback. (link copied from BareFeats.com).

newtech
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2008, 01:15 AM

Probably more effective to sit on a mountain top contemplating ones intestines.

I forward the view that all the negative feed back about video cards, in the past, meant nothing to Apple. They only upgraded cards for the new line as the old cards are all EOL.

Richard Richard
Jan 15, 2008, 03:47 AM

maybe they'll listen to the drop in pro sales - that this will no doubt have

the internet IS a very powerful method of communication , never underestimate it's influence on purchasing decisions

when people go on forums and ask about this machines so called upgrade potential and then find that something as basic as a video card isn't upgradeable , i'm sure they'll have second thoughts

whats to stop the same thing happening to the NEW 2008 mac pros in 2 years time ????
mac 4 evaah

Tesselator  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2008, 04:15 AM

Well we might get one new video card from petitioning, sending feedback, or even sitting atop
a mountain but I doubt we will change Apple's basic marketing strategy. Their strategy has
always been to severely limit both functionality and upgradability in general and offer tailored
almost mission critical systems that plot a very short segment of technology advancement and
ability.

Just look back over the years at all the "power mac" systems they released. This one can't
record movies, this one can, this one is limited to 320x200, you need a whole new system
for 640x400 - etc. etc. and for many of the various key features that are marketed to us
as being desirable. PeeCees do this too of course but the tech intro segment and the native
abilities are ever so slightly longer and broader. It's a game and most of what we're getting
is pretty ancient considering where technology actually is.

I don't think this petition's aim is to change any of that nor could it affect such - unless we
were ALL (100% of us) willing to boycott all hardware offerings until such time as change
occurred . Rather I think it's just directed at getting a single card offering (the NVidea
8800) up and working in the MP 1.0 and 1.1 models.

That there isn't one that can is just a little bit too narrow and short as I'm sure most of us
will agree.

Tesselator  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2008, 04:38 AM

maybe they'll listen to the drop in pro sales - that this will no doubt have
Doubtful - unless the drop is so severe that it nearly drives them out of business.
There are just too many sheeple that buy mac for no other reason than that it
sports the Apple logo.

My gawd, did you watch the the 2008 Keynote address last night? Their biggest
announcement was a laptop with less features, less ability, more flimsy, and with
a higher price. I was tracking the stock (which reacts minute by minute) as the
Keynote was delivered and it dropped 13 whole points from the start of the
keynote until the end. It went up just a tad when they first displayed the LapTop
but by the time they had finished telling everyone what it had or rather what it
didn't have, it dropped another 3 points. LOL

The point is that this will likely have no affect at all on the direction they're
going in nor on the price/demand of current offerings. Enough sheeple are
buying a style ( a fashion) that it just doesn't matter much. As long as it can
play movies&music and send/receive email that's all they need after the marketing
is finished.

Petitions (and feedback) /can/ work cuz it just might reach the eyes or ears of
someone that "feels" the same way and who has the decision making abilities
to enact it and/or promote the idea.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
Petitions (and feedback) /can/ work cuz it just might reach the eyes or ears of
someone that "feels" the same way and who has the decision making abilities
to enact it and/or promote the idea.
The problem with petitions, at least online versions is there are a gazillion of them for any given product. Why should apple bend or reverse its decision on the GPU based on this petition when its' probably presented with tons of petitions all of the time.

I think the better solution is for same people who chose to sign the petition to go to apple's feedback page and post their dissatisfaction there. I recall when the first beta for osx 10.0 was released and there was no finder or apple menu. Apple incurred so much feedback they put them back (yes I know the apple menu is a shadow of its old self). My point is you'll get more progress from posting to their feedback forum then to some online petition.

edit:
here's a for instance. I just googled Macintosh petitions and it returned 282,000 hits. While not are all directed towards apple but companies wanting support for macs. You get my point this one little petition is a needle in the proverbial haystack and its message will be lost amongst the other petitions.

Tesselator  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2008, 09:01 AM

I guess...

Just different ways of looking at it I guess. But whatever. Maybe we can all do both
and increase the chances of either having an affect. Yeah?

Tesselator  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2008, 06:44 PM

Richard Richard
Jan 20, 2008, 03:09 PM

looks like it was a very big needle in a very small haystack..
mac 4 evaah

Tesselator  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2008, 10:07 AM

looks like it was a very big needle in a very small haystack..
I'm just happy that they're now going to allow all of us to spend nearly $400 on a $200 card!
Man, I love having options!

Forum Links
Forum Rules