Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > basic questions: iMovie and utilities

basic questions: iMovie and utilities
th3champish3r3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2008, 07:40 PM

As a new mac fan and a future user of macs I am now working on doing my research so I am somewhat familiar with the operating system upon starting. I have 2 questions that I am sure all of you life long mac users will know. I am very impressed with imovie. Do you think i could figure out how to use it by messing around with it over time? Or will I need a more in depth lesson? I am also very impressed with the mac tutorials people make on youtube, is this done in imovie? If so can you give me a little run through on how its done?

Another thing is, I am aware that the newest version of mac os x has many features built in that in past versions you needed software to do. For example mac os 10.5 does not need stuffit expander. Is there any freeware programs as far as utilities that are not needed? I have been looking at clamxav, mac janitor, cache out x, preferential treatment, and anacron. Do you guys think im headed in the right direction? Is there anything im unaware of? Also what kind of utilities do you guys use to keep your mac running nice and smooth? Thank you very much in advance, sorry for the long post and go mac!

newtech
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2008, 09:20 PM

iMovie has a fairly intuitive user interface and online help. There are also a few books that hold your hand to get a bit more advanced quicker. Some of what you see on YouTube is done on the more powerful Final Cut Express.

mr. burns
Senior User
Jan 15, 2008, 10:38 PM

a mac virus checker.... lol.

you don't need to run maintenance. it's all done behind the scenes in leopard.

as far as cleaning cache, and 'preferential treatment': those are things you might need IF you are having problems. pretty unnecessary otherwise.

http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...on-intel-macs/

not all who wander are lost.

Tesselator
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2008, 03:39 AM

Oh.. there's two of these...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2008, 05:15 AM

Completely unexpected advice if you're coming from Windows, but:

Use the Help menu.

Excellent introductions to the software, written by technical writers for NON-ENGINEERS. You have a pretty good chance of finding all the information you need and actually UNDERSTANDING IT.

Really.

Apple's Help files are great.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2008, 11:01 AM

You can also go here: Apple - Mac

And in the second block on the right you see a section "View hundreds of tutorials". That will get you started with iMovie and all the rest.

As for utilities: I'm not arguing against ClamXav. Do a virus check on files you get and send if that makes you feel comfortable. But don't bother with all the other "maintenance" utilities. The chances you mess up your Mac with one of those is higher than they doing something goog. Leopard is self-maintaing. You don't have to do anything at all. And that includes "repair permissions". Don't.

th3champish3r3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2008, 11:13 PM

woww this is great guys...u know i used to be so against apple. But they have come so far and progressed so much in the last few years. Every time i look into something that i think will be an issue on the machine it turns out being more suitable for my needs. Any way thats alot for the answers guys and if i have anymore questions ill be sure to post up with them.

th3champish3r3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2008, 11:33 PM

what do you think about adobe reader? Is that necessary in leopard?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2008, 11:49 PM

Preview displays PDF documents and generally provides the better Mac experience in my opinion. Depending on what you do you might encounter documents that require Adobe Reader (form fillout within Safari, fancy content like 3D objects and stuff like that). If you deal with those regularly you have no choice but to use Adobe Reader, but if you don't I wouldn't even install it.

The current version of Adobe Reader isn't fully Leopard-compatible by the way, but Adobe promised an update for January to fix this.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2008, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by th3champish3r3 View Post
what do you think about adobe reader? Is that necessary in leopard?
Absolutely not.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by th3champish3r3 View Post
woww this is great guys...u know i used to be so against apple. But they have come so far and progressed so much in the last few years. Every time i look into something that i think will be an issue on the machine it turns out being more suitable for my needs. Any way thats alot for the answers guys and if i have anymore questions ill be sure to post up with them.
To a certain degree, that's *always* been true.

There's been an awful lot of complete paranoia-induced idiocy spewed over the last twenty years (on both sides, actually).

To a degree.

Forum Links
Forum Rules