Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Current PB Battery orders shipping are Rev 1?

Current PB Battery orders shipping are Rev 1?
jmelrose
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2001, 06:32 PM

I just recieved my extra battery for my new Powerbook G4/667, which is quite a tease since the unit itself is nowhere to be seen yet. Anyway, my order was for a part number ending in /B. Two days ago, it was changed to the same part number, but now ending with /A. It seems to me that most likely the inventory boys at Apple said, "Lose the old batteries before giving out the new ones, guys!" and therefore gave everyone a complimentary "downgrade" to the older 50V models instead of the 55.3V ones.

Anyone else have this experience? I have read of one other person who also ordered through the education channel who has had the same thing happen, but they thought that it was the NEW model. Having just recieved the battery today, I can say with a great deal of certainty that it seems to be the old revision.

One, am I worrying about nothing? Is there really a difference?
Two, anyone else have this happen?
Three, if I should return it, how much of a fuss you think Apple would make? I mean, there's not a voltage rating on there, but when I clicked on the "buy" box it was with the understanding that it was a 55.3 Volt-something battery.

Sigh...
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

Current rig: 15" MBP i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 1TB Flash Drive

PBG4 User
Senior User
Oct 26, 2001, 06:47 PM

The rating is 55.3 Watt hours versus 50 Watt hours. Basically it is a determination of how much energy the battery can store. Since the new battery holds just over 10% more energy, it should be able to provide 10% more life. Remember, these new batteries have to power the hungry new 667's and get the same battery life as the poky 500 with the old batt.

What this probably means for you is the battery you just received will have about 10% shorter life than the battery that comes with your new Ti. If it was me, I would try and get the battery swapped.

I have the 500, so I want to get the new battery since it will mean longer battery life for me.

I hope the Westfarms store has the new ones, guess I'll find out tomorrow.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

appleseed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2001, 07:34 PM

This issue is currently being covered at www.pbzone.com, where your suspicions about this being a case of old inventory clear out will be confirmed unfortunately.

schmoe
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2001, 09:55 PM

Ack! Yes I just spoke with an Apple order support person and he confirmed that the battery I recieved is an old one. He said that the new batteries would not be shipping until late November, and that is why they shipped the old ones.

Forum Links
Forum Rules