Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macs Only claims 867mhz slower than 800mhz PB

Macs Only claims 867mhz slower than 800mhz PB
jmelrose
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2002, 11:00 AM

Ok, Macsonly.com posts benchmarks comparing the 800 and 867 mhz powerbooks. Their figures come out that the 867 is markedly slower than the 800, I'd be interested in people's opinions/feedback here after they go check out the article.

Jeff

Macs Only

Karim
Senior User
Nov 14, 2002, 11:06 AM

It seems silly they weren't testing each machine with the same amount of Ram. I read their explanation why but to be sure, they need to pull one of the simms out of the 800 and put it in the 867 and run the tests again. How hard can that be? Flip the keyboard and unplug.

As for the bug in the 10.21 build on the 867 why didn't they just update. Over broadband it takes about 5 minutes.

The machines differed in amount of Ram and the version of OSX. In my opinion, too much difference to make the numbers reliable.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2002, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by jmelrose:
Ok, Macsonly.com posts benchmarks comparing the 800 and 867 mhz powerbooks. Their figures come out that the 867 is markedly slower than the 800, I'd be interested in people's opinions/feedback here after they go check out the article.

Jeff

Macs Only
I'd say the test results are bogus. The 1 GHz simply blows away the 800 (as expected) with Xbench. Furthermore, 256 MB vs. 768 MB? How hard can it be to add in a stick of memory to do the test? Anyway, in the greater scheme of things, it does seem like the new PowerBook really is a minor design upgrade, so any changes shouldn't have a dramatic effect like that.

It's always possible there is a bug in the battery performance settings or something, but 1 GHz results posted here would suggest otherwise. Maybe they just set the system prefs incorrectly.

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2002, 02:36 PM

ok, now can we have some serious reports please?
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

dajay
Nov 14, 2002, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by jmelrose:

Jeff

Macs Only
That benchmark is a complete embarrassment to their site. They don't even know the basics of benchmarking. What's the point in using two totally different set ups? They might as well run the test with the 867 completly turned off. "Oh look, the 800 mhz scores 340 points and the 867 mhz scores 0. hmmm"

Forum Links
Forum Rules