Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pepsi's evil empire

Pepsi's evil empire
Dougmc
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2004, 09:23 AM

I've not been what I would call a "Pepsi drinker". I have always sought my caffeine high from Coke Cola.

However, when Pepsi started giving away free songs via iTunes, I thought that I'd play along and try to score some new tunes.

At first, it was going great. It seemed that nearly every Pepsi I pulled from the machine at my office was a winner�well ahead of that 1:3 chances of winning that they advertised.

But that only lasted about a week. Now the well seems to have run dry. It's been a solid 12 days since I last won a song! Now, I fear I'm addicted. I have a problem.

Like a crafty crack dealer�giving the first "taste" away�they have suckered me into thinking it will always be as good as it started out.

What gives? Did they load up the first few weeks worth of bottles with winners so that we would get the impression that winning is easy, only to pull the rug out from under us once they got us hooked?

Well, it is a game, afterall. So I can't be too upset. But, I'm coming up a loser.

However, I win the game when I go to the store and have a chance to tip the bottle and peek under the cap before I buy. So, what comes around, goes around I say.

D

p.s. - Yes, I'm still giving them a try, and having just bought another bottle, have lost again!

p.p.s - This post is meant to be light-hearted. I'm not complaining, because I know they're playing by the rules they established.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 24, 2004, 11:46 AM

You can just look before you buy, you know. Although my last purchase, I looked through at least 12 bottles without finding a winner, and finally just grabbed one that I hadn't checked. I won. Lucky me.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
You can just look before you buy, you know. Although my last purchase, I looked through at least 12 bottles without finding a winner, and finally just grabbed one that I hadn't checked. I won. Lucky me.
I think he said he was getting them from a machine. I took it as a vending machine, so he can't see the bottles beforehand.

I've bought 2 so far and have won 0 times.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 12:18 PM

Unfortunately, it's not like the math gods smile upon you every third bottle you buy. Each purchase is an independent event, so you buy 33, 333, 333 bottles and never win (although highly unlikely).

Hmmm... now I'm wondering, are there 66, 666, 666 winners or 66, 666, 667 winners?

Matt Fahrenbacher

fromthecloud
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2004, 12:57 PM

I want to be a math god.
chown -R us:us yourbase

Dissent is not un-American.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 01:15 PM

God bows to math.
I, ASIMO.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 24, 2004, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
I think he said he was getting them from a machine. I took it as a vending machine, so he can't see the bottles beforehand.
Oh, oops, missed that.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 01:52 PM

Oddly enough I saw the contest Pepsis at my college just a week after Super Bowl but have yet to see them since.

Won 2 songs in the short time though.

Dougmc  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2004, 03:50 PM

Yep, can't peek at them in the machine.

Although, this machine has an all-glass front, so I could try tipping the whole machine onto it's side�I might be able to get a glimpse under the cap then.

Of course, that would be illegal, afterall, there's a huge sticker on the front of the machine warning me of the potential fatal results of tipping a machine. Or does that only apply to people that look like stick figures?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2004, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Dougmc:
Of course, that would be illegal, afterall, there's a huge sticker on the front of the machine warning me of the potential fatal results of tipping a machine. Or does that only apply to people that look like stick figures?
Nope.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 04:58 PM

in the beginning i too won a lot, and the past 5 bottles i have bought have had 1 win.
i drink pepsi, so i don't really mind. i got my 13 or so free songs, so rock on.

Shinigami
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2004, 08:34 PM

I got like, 5 out of 6 wins.

One more thing -- Vending machines are satan. I want my money back.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2004, 09:52 PM

I don't think that Pepsi is an evil empire. I have found the song give away to be a lot of fun!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Dougmc  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2004, 10:03 PM

I use the term "evil empire" in jest. It's only a game. I'm well aware of that. And, I know that Pepsi doesn't owe me anything�I got what I paid for, a bottle of pop. And on occasion I walked away with the bonus perk of a 99� song for free.

All in all, iTunes rules. Love it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules