Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Strange Permissions/File Sharing Issues

Strange Permissions/File Sharing Issues
dr.pepper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2009, 03:53 PM

Hey All -

I'm going a little crazy with a few Network issues.

I have 3 machines in question. A new Macbook Pro (10.5.x) an old Macbook (10.5.x) that runs kinda as a server (sharing two big drives) and an old G5 (10.4.x). They all share the same username and password. I've played around with permissions and have not gotten anywhere.

Issue 1) When trying to transfer a file from the Macbook Pro to the Macbook I get a message "You may need to enter the name and pw for an admin on this computer to change the item named "blah". Even when you enter the admin un/pw it doesn't copy... Can't seem to get around this, although the problem seems to be on the Macbook Pro, since the G5 copies to the MB fine.

Issue 2) When trying to mount the G5 on either MB the harddrive shows up shared very briefly (with the no write icon in the lower left of the window) then disappears and says "disconnected." Then the G5 disappears from "shared" entirely. The most bizarre thing is when I go to check in on the G5 file sharing is magically disabled! It's somehow turning itself off whenever accessed.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thx mucho,

Cody

Forum Links
Forum Rules