Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Life as we know it must be an accident

Life as we know it must be an accident
Fred_Cokebottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 09:50 PM

I mean if there are over a hunderd billion stars in our galaxy...it just makes it more likely that it was a fluke, doesnt it?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2005, 09:55 PM

so start a thread about it.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 09:56 PM

From the Hitchhiker's Guide Wiki:
Many races believe that the Universe was created by some sort of god or in the Big Bang. The Jatravartid people, however, believe that the Universe was sneezed out of the nose of a being called the Great Green Arkleseizure. They live in perpetual fear of the time they call The Coming of the Great White Handkerchief. Theory of the Great Green Arkleseizure is not widely accepted outside Viltvodle VI.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 10, 2005, 09:59 PM

Whatever.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2005, 10:09 PM

Proud of you.®

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2005, 10:25 PM

So because there are lots of places where an incredibly infinitesimally small and unlikely event might take place, that increases the probability to a for sure thing? What if that just means that there is more land space for something impossible to not happen?
But of course... thinking this way would require you to think differently than the way you've already decided you were going to think. Sorry I thought we'd try and be rational for a second.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2005, 10:28 PM

here we go...

budster101
Baninated
Aug 10, 2005, 10:39 PM

If there is life elsewhere do you think it was an accident too?

A cosmic roll of the dice with odds in teh Billions? (Warning, overuse of the word 'teh' can lead to a serious attitude problem)

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2005, 11:03 PM

Life is everywhere.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 11:59 PM

thread title:
That's what your parents said.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 11, 2005, 12:07 AM

Ha-ha. Ahem. That was mean. :/

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2005, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001
thread title:
That's what your parents said.
Followed with, "That we've regretted ever since"

Cipher13
Aug 11, 2005, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
So because there are lots of places where an incredibly infinitesimally small and unlikely event might take place, that increases the probability to a for sure thing? What if that just means that there is more land space for something impossible to not happen?
But of course... thinking this way would require you to think differently than the way you've already decided you were going to think. Sorry I thought we'd try and be rational for a second.
1. He never, ever alluded to the idea that it became a "sure thing" - infact, he simply said that the likelyhood of such a fluke occurring increases with the number of places ("potential combinations of conditions") where it could occur. Which it does, naturally. Give up divination for statistics for a semester.

2. Impossible? It's quite obviously not impossible. You seem to have no concept of statistics whatsoever. If you roll a one-million-sided die once (one planet), what're the chances of it coming up money? If you roll a billion of them, what're the chances of one of them coming up right?

Anyway, the ignorance of this debate is that we don't know that there is no life elsewhere. We don't even *know* that there isn't life on Mars.

Sorry, I thought I'd be rational for a second.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 03:17 AM

This thread needs a theme song.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 11, 2005, 03:20 AM

I am a big fan of biogenesis.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 11, 2005, 04:08 AM

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 04:42 AM

Nah, I was thinkin more like this

budster101
Baninated
Aug 11, 2005, 05:03 AM

Railroader
Banned
Aug 11, 2005, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13
2. Impossible? It's quite obviously not impossible. You seem to have no concept of statistics whatsoever. If you roll a one-million-sided die once (one planet), what're the chances of it coming up money? If you roll a billion of them, what're the chances of one of them coming up right?
You think the odds of life evolving from bacteria as a one in a million chance? HA HA HA!!!

Oh, you guys kill me.

Has anyone here read "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson? I highly recommend it.
Amazon link.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2005, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
You think the odds of life evolving from bacteria as a one in a million chance?

Bacteria are alive.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2005, 07:02 AM

1. He never, ever alluded to the idea that it became a "sure thing" - infact, he simply said that the likelyhood of such a fluke occurring increases with the number of places ("potential combinations of conditions") where it could occur. Which it does, naturally. Give up divination for statistics for a semester.

Anyway, the ignorance of this debate is that we don't know that there is no life elsewhere. We don't even *know* that there isn't life on Mars.

Sorry, I thought I'd be rational for a second.
1) Oh... sorry I thought the word MUST in the title of the thread kind of implied an absolute thing... sorry me no speaky english so... wait... yes I do...

2) Ironically we did a bit of stats work specifically focusing on biology stuff in high school bio. And they had one method for figuring out how likely something was. Even before the billions they tend to simply say it's probably never going to happen and so you just work on that assumption.
Beyond that though, even for the rarer than me enjoying one of your posts chance that a bunch of carbons, hydrogens etc bond into a bunch of protein, and DNA, RNA, and other things required to have ONE working cell. Even if all that stuff that would be required for the simplest of cells were to happen (for the record a simple celll is still very complex). Even if all that happens, you still have a cell that is likely to die as soon as the sun comes up. And if not then, when the next big storm comes up, or the next big change in temperature.

Even if life did generate just out of the blue, odds are it would die right away.

xenu
Senior User
Aug 11, 2005, 07:07 AM

Even if life did generate just out of the blue, odds are it would die right away.
And if there were billions of the little buggers?
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

Cipher13
Aug 11, 2005, 07:18 AM

You think the odds of life evolving from bacteria as a one in a million chance? HA HA HA!!!

Oh, you guys kill me.

Has anyone here read "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson? I highly recommend it.
Amazon link.
You're an idiot.

Cipher13
Aug 11, 2005, 07:20 AM

1) Oh... sorry I thought the word MUST in the title of the thread kind of implied an absolute thing... sorry me no speaky english so... wait... yes I do...

2) Ironically we did a bit of stats work specifically focusing on biology stuff in high school bio. And they had one method for figuring out how likely something was. Even before the billions they tend to simply say it's probably never going to happen and so you just work on that assumption.
Beyond that though, even for the rarer than me enjoying one of your posts chance that a bunch of carbons, hydrogens etc bond into a bunch of protein, and DNA, RNA, and other things required to have ONE working cell. Even if all that stuff that would be required for the simplest of cells were to happen (for the record a simple celll is still very complex). Even if all that happens, you still have a cell that is likely to die as soon as the sun comes up. And if not then, when the next big storm comes up, or the next big change in temperature.

You're an idiot, too.

You're both complete, utter fools.

That is all I have to say on the matter. The educated in this thread have no problem with what I've said, and if they do, I'll kindly converse with them. Railroader and yourself have conveniently excluded yourself from any 'intelligent' conversation.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2005, 07:44 AM

Most people appear to be thinking that the default state for life is 'off', i.e the existence of life is the exception. It appears to me however, with life existing in the most inhospitable locations on this planet, that the default state for life is 'on'. Meaning that given half a chance, it does exist.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 11, 2005, 07:51 AM

You're an idiot.
So, you're saying that it is one in a million chance for life to be created and formed eventually into humans through evolution?

Those are better odds than the lotto!

And you call me an idiot?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2005, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Fred_Cokebottle
I mean if there are over a hunderd billion stars in our galaxy...it just makes it more likely that it was a fluke, doesnt it?
Naw I think under the right conditions life forms (with out the help of the bible) so I bet there are billions of worlds out there with life. Whats prob a fluke is the conditions staying ripe long enough to form Intellegent life, like Whales. God only knows to well we are mistakes lol
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

GranolaBoy
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2005, 08:45 AM

As for evolution of man from stardust by pure chance, the data available to support this hypothesis demonstrates there is a 99.9% chance that it is wrong. It is one of the more interesting ironies of the debate that, using their own standards, scientists would conclude we probably do not exist.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 08:49 AM

The Drake Equation is your friend.

Thats is to start a solid reflection on this topic.

Then, there is Bad Science, Worse philosophy
I believe that Foster, like most creation scientists, is lazy. He does not want to actually face the monumental complexity of the problem he has set out to solve. Indeed, everyone is actually unable to do so, for it is a task that would challenge and even elude the most brilliant biochemists. To actually calculate the odds of 'life' developing from inanimate matter, one must be acquainted not only with a vast arrangement of data and know how to estimate all the statistical relationships involved, but one must even know things that no one on Earth presently knows, or ever may know.
...and here is to "Highschool Statistics" also known to Salty as "Sunday School"...

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 08:50 AM

...And I am waiting for the Intelligent Design folks to creep out...

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2005, 08:51 AM

So because there are lots of places where an incredibly infinitesimally small and unlikely event might take place, that increases the probability to a for sure thing?
Haven't you ever heard of the lottery? Individual chances are usually one 1 in many millions, but someone always eventually wins due the sheer numbers of tickets sold. So yes, incredibly small probablilities for individual events go to 1 if you measure the probablility of at least one in an ever expanding group achieving the event. The more tickets sold, the more likely someone's going to become a dysfunctional multi millionaire.

Cipher13
Aug 11, 2005, 09:10 AM

So, you're saying that it is one in a million chance for life to be created and formed eventually into humans through evolution?

Those are better odds than the lotto!

And you call me an idiot?
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=example

Idiot.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2005, 09:43 AM

You're an idiot.
That's uncalled for, grow up.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2005, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by SimpleLife
Sorry, we're not here right now. Please leave a message at the tone.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2005, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
That's uncalled for, grow up.
Seconded.

Cipher13, calling people with a different opinion from yours names makes YOU the idiot.

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2005, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by GranolaBoy
As for evolution of man from stardust by pure chance, the data available to support this hypothesis demonstrates there is a 99.9% chance that it is wrong. It is one of the more interesting ironies of the debate that, using their own standards, scientists would conclude we probably do not exist.
People, if you don't understand scientific topics, nobody's putting a gun to your head and making you pull this stuff out of your ass.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

budster101
Baninated
Aug 11, 2005, 11:26 AM

Beeeeeep........ (Please hang up or try again)

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2005, 11:38 AM

Is this the young, hot, Asian, female model thread?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 11, 2005, 11:50 AM

You're an idiot.
You're an idiot, too.

You're both complete, utter fools.
Ah, I got my daily recommended does of pretentious condescending banter today.

Thanks.

Zenbone
Aug 11, 2005, 11:51 AM

I didn't make my coffee strong enough this morning.

aka BlueSky

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Is this the young, hot, Asian, female model thread?
All that, plus evolution, natch.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 11, 2005, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by saddino

She has waaaaaay too much clothes on.

Close though.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
I am a big fan of biogenesis.
Nice. I'm a big fan of steak, personally.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

budster101
Baninated
Aug 11, 2005, 12:10 PM

Add Tobasco.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2005, 12:10 PM

Followed with, "That we've regretted ever since"
Yes. That was the joke.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Zenbone
I didn't make my coffee strong enough this morning.
Time for a second cup!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by saddino
Ah, back before she started coming up with **** like "I am WOMEN" and "Fairyland" (yeah, fairy-land is right).

EDIT: Eh, I decided the thread was going to kill itself anyway without the evil photo.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2005, 12:14 PM

IBL. Thread, YOU'RE GONNA DIE !

-t

GranolaBoy
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2005, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
People, if you don't understand scientific topics, nobody's putting a gun to your head and making you pull this stuff out of your ass.
That's right, Chuckit. Leave the conversation to those of us who do.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2005, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by SimpleLife

The sheer idiocy of humanity pretty much precludes the possibility of intelligent design, as far as I'm concerned. If g*d so intelligently designed us, why are we such idiots?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules