Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB1400cs Can't find System

PB1400cs Can't find System
AlanMitchell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2005, 07:40 PM

Here's one for oldies but goodies... I'm trying to help a buddy resurrect a PB1400cs. It is flashing a question mark in a floppy icon. I can get it to boot from a floppy with 7.6 on it. Have loaded Norton Utilities 3.5 on the machine and it fixed a few problems, but it still won't boot from the HD. He doesn't have system disks, but disk images of 7.5.3 were on the HD, so I reinstalled the software (Saving a copy of the old folder.) Still the flashing question mark.

Now what?

Thanks for any suggestions.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2005, 03:15 AM

Couple thoughts:

Older system versions could get confused by multiple system folders.

remove the finder from the old system folder to "de-bless" it.

then pull Finder from the new system folder and drag it back in to "bless" the new system folder.

See if that helps.

StonedRose
Apr 22, 2005, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by AlanMitchell
Here's one for oldies but goodies... I'm trying to help a buddy resurrect a PB1400cs. It is flashing a question mark in a floppy icon. I can get it to boot from a floppy with 7.6 on it. Have loaded Norton Utilities 3.5 on the machine and it fixed a few problems, but it still won't boot from the HD. He doesn't have system disks, but disk images of 7.5.3 were on the HD, so I reinstalled the software (Saving a copy of the old folder.) Still the flashing question mark.

Now what?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Can you select the internal HD via the startup disc panel off the floppy? Does the folder show that it is blessed (happy mac face on folder icon)? Aloha.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2005, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by StonedRose
Can you select the internal HD via the startup disc panel off the floppy? Does the folder show that it is blessed (happy mac face on folder icon)? Aloha.
Not in 7.6.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

AlanMitchell  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2005, 12:14 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Found an old Troubleshooting guide on-line and their first suggestion was: Zap the PRAM. I did and it decided it's not a toaster after all. Everything has been fine since.

Thanks to all!

Forum Links
Forum Rules