Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Escoteric audio choices - phono carts.

Escoteric audio choices - phono carts.
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2014, 06:31 PM

I have no idea what level of audio types visit here, and no idea if I should trust the opinions....but...

I have a few choices. I have a Grace F9e super phono cart from the late 1980's. the stylus is worn out. I can have a new cantilever made from ruby with a lots better stylus swapped in for $350. I also have a Stanton 681eee, with similar wear, and a new cantilever/stylus for $250. AND..... I have a DB Systems preamp I bought used and abused, and for $200 I can have this low distortion preamp upgraded to current specs. What should I do? I do listen to vinyl. I have over 4000 LP's and many have only been played a few times. The rest of my audio system is fine, but I would like a replacement woofer for my 2nd set of KEF 104aB's, but they are like finding hens teeth, and they cost about $200+.

The possible outcomes for whatever I choose:

upgraded phono carts - I can listen to my LP's as if they were almost new.
Preamp upgrade I have a back-up to my primary preamp of the same type, which is one of those super low distortion jobs.
Fix my second pair of KEF's - I get to use 2 pairs in my main listening room with 3dB louder playback, or as back-ups to my primary pair.

I know, but this is the kind of stuff I do in the winter, Listen to music on my really nice stereo.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2014, 07:21 PM

I use mostly Clearaudio carts, their Talisman is an excellent performer in the midrange of the MC market. I do like the Stanton 681EEE MK3, I needed a cart for my dad's Denon TT and I saw it at Guitar Center for $150. It has a very clean sound for a MM, so maybe just get a new stylus?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2014, 07:41 PM

This is where I buy parts for my turntables: Needle Doctor

Give them a call perhaps, they have given me excellent advice.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2014, 08:35 PM

Partial to the Denon DL 103R.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2014, 08:40 AM

I used to work at a store dedicated to phonograph carts and have been able to listen to many. I too like Denon 301 and 103D, but their is something special about this particular 681eee body. I'll most likely send both my Grace F9e and Stanton(both stylus) to be re-done. I'd LOVE to hear some of the ClearAudio carts, but nobody in the DC area has them. A special cart is the Decca Gold too. Unlike any other cart as far as sound. I'm regretting the trade of my MicroAcoustics 2002e these days. I hear they still work great, even with replacement cantilevers!

Forum Links
Forum Rules