Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Watch: Who's getting one?

Apple Watch: Who's getting one? (Page 7)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2015, 11:05 AM

No, probably never.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2015, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
On launch day? No, indeed.

If every review on the planet is glowing, and if a few months of use has every Apple Watch owner singing its praises, I'll consider the possibility.
This is pretty much where I'm at... only I'll skip the first generation.

If you look back at all of their recent new products, the first one is always pretty crappy compared to the second gen.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2015, 11:21 AM

If you live near an Apple Store, and intend to get the device, waiting is just depriving yourself.

Apple is very free and easy with instant replacements for defective product.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 7, 2015, 11:51 AM

I don't think they're worried about defects, more function and the improvements that v2 will have.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2015, 11:52 AM

I'm not talking about hardware problems, I'm referring to just not being that good compared to what's to come.

The iPad 1 wasn't so great compared to the iPad 2. Same goes for the early iPhones and the first Macbook Air. The watch is so new, I think they're going to need a few years to really figure out what to do with it.

It's also a lot of money for what it does. I'm interested in the $400 model, and even that feels about $200 too expensive to me.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2015, 11:53 AM

Well... if you can wait a year, I posit you don't really want the product.

The 1G iPhone and 1G iPad sucked a back of dicks, but I wanted them.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
sucked a back of dicks
Even more disturbing than the traditional bag of dicks insult.....well played sir
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2015, 12:14 PM

I don't really want this product, and I don't think Apple has done a very good job of explaining to me why I would want this product either.

I think I've already explained this (probably in this very thread) but there is a part of me that finds a smart watch incredibly appealing on that gee-whiz Jetsons level... but another part of me that says, what am I really going to use this for?

I don't actually get that many notifications, they definitely do not overwhelm me. I cannot even begin to imagine what sort of thing I would find easier to do on a 1.5" watch screen than I do on my 4.7" phone screen that is ALWAYS with me.

That said, it looks like a fun thing to dink around with.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2015, 12:27 PM

I'm so accustomed to checking my smartwatch for notifications and setting reminders, I couldn't go back to not having one.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2015, 01:06 PM

Well... if you can wait a year, I posit you don't really want the product.

The 1G iPhone and 1G iPad sucked a back of dicks, but I wanted them.
Not being stupid about spending money != not "really wanting" a product.

I knew immediately that the iPhone was the phone I'd be using in the future, the minute it was unveiled. It made sense to wait until UMTS support, since that was inevitable, and since my contract would still be going for a while. Once that expired I switched carriers to "park" my contract for six months until the next phone release - the 3GS.

From the Wired article, it seems like a no-brainer that the Apple Watch would fit nicely and actually solve a problem in my life.

Before I spend 1200€, though (space grey steel is mine), I'd rather have a slimmer version that is more closely informed by where the platform is going (which nobody can really predict right now, similar as with the iPhone).

Rumor
Apr 7, 2015, 01:08 PM

Meh, I have no desire for one. It seems to be more of a status symbol than anything else.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2015, 01:43 PM

as much as I hate the idea of buying one I will be, for my wife.
She says keeping the phone at her desk yet having the watch on will make it easy for her to get messages without having to pick up the phone. She feels it'll help her keep in touch with the world (and me) - as it is now, if something were to happen to me at say 8:30am, she wouldn't know about it until noon or so, at best. When you're running guns and drugs for the mafia, you need to think about these things.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2015, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Not being stupid about spending money != not "really wanting" a product.

I knew immediately that the iPhone was the phone I'd be using in the future, the minute it was unveiled. It made sense to wait until UMTS support, since that was inevitable, and since my contract would still be going for a while. Once that expired I switched carriers to "park" my contract for six months until the next phone release - the 3GS.

From the Wired article, it seems like a no-brainer that the Apple Watch would fit nicely and actually solve a problem in my life.

Before I spend 1200€, though (space grey steel is mine), I'd rather have a slimmer version that is more closely informed by where the platform is going (which nobody can really predict right now, similar as with the iPhone).
So, you really wanted it, except for the part where it's too slow...

And the people who actually bought one didn't want it more...

Riiiiiight.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2015, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
When you're running guns and drugs for the mafia, you need to think about these things.
Yeah...

Wait, what?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2015, 02:14 PM

Can be tracked having the phone on you.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2015, 02:24 PM

Samsung needs to make a burner watch.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2015, 02:37 PM

Samsung needs to make a burner watch.
The Wire 2016

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2015, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The Wire 2016
How would they get Daniels back from Homeland Security?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2015, 04:53 PM

So, you really wanted it, except for the part where it's too slow...

And the people who actually bought one didn't want it more...

Riiiiiight.
Ah, I see the misunderstanding:

I really wanted <product>, but wasn't in a rush to get <particular model> just yet. It seemed inevitable that I would own one soon enough.

I have lived without an Apple Watch for 42 years. I'm not in a hurry. I've got more urgent priorities that require my financial attention. I'll own one eventually.

This perceived inevitability, to me, is even stronger than "really wanting" one. It's just tied to the platform/product line, rather than this year's model.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2015, 05:26 PM

Yeah, it's weird sometimes being an adult.

I do want an Apple watch. I could go out and buy myself one and wouldn't even notice a blip in my finances unless I bought it in a month where a lot of expenses were piled on top of each other... but you eventually learn to hold back. You have to.

I remember when I was younger I would want something, and I would scrap and save and move money around to be able to eventually get it.

As much as it stunk, things had a lot more value to me back then. Now I can walk into a Best Buy and honestly say to myself, I don't even give a crap about any of this stuff. I don't care. I don't need any of it and I'm just fine.

My 25 year old self would never believe that my 40 year old self would feel that way but I do.

My son is funny. He really wants a Wii U and I always tell him that it's just too much money and we can wait. So one day, he was talking about how we didn't have enough money for a Wii U and I had to let him know that, actually, we do have enough money for a Wii U, we just were not going to buy one. He just couldn't even wrap his head around that concept.

I was discussing the price of an Apple watch and Apple products in general on another forum and I said "If an American really wants something that costs $400, they can find a way to make that happen." That's true for probably 99.5% of the population. Apple stuff is expensive, but it's not THAT expensive. It's luxury within reach. Just about anyone can afford it if they really try.

I think I'm just rambling at this point. I'm not even sure what I'm talking about now...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2015, 05:42 PM

Well, there's a difference between having money to spend, and having money to spend on that particular thing.

When I was growing up, we used to have a rule that if you wanted something badly, you should probably try waiting as many days as it costs in DM/dollars/Euro, and if you STILL want it after that time, then go ahead and buy it, if you can afford to.

Where it gets weird is when you're at the intersection of hobby and job tool. It's nice being able to justify a "want" as a "need" or a business expense to your internal finance minister.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2015, 06:36 PM

When I was growing up, we used to have a rule that if you wanted something badly, you should probably try waiting as many days as it costs in DM/dollars/Euro, and if you STILL want it after that time, then go ahead and buy it, if you can afford to.
Cool idea. Bet it wouldn't work in Japan though.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2015, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Cool idea. Bet it wouldn't work in Japan though.
We had it per ¥100 when we lived there.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2015, 10:24 AM

I think we need a poll.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2015, 10:25 AM

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2015, 11:45 AM

Ah, I see the misunderstanding:

I really wanted <product>, but wasn't in a rush to get <particular model> just yet. It seemed inevitable that I would own one soon enough.

I have lived without an Apple Watch for 42 years. I'm not in a hurry. I've got more urgent priorities that require my financial attention. I'll own one eventually.

This perceived inevitability, to me, is even stronger than "really wanting" one. It's just tied to the platform/product line, rather than this year's model.
I'm contrasting this with the 1G iPad. Even though it was heavy and under-spec, it changed my life and how I relate to computers. By getting one at launch, I had a whole year of life-altering benefits from it.

If the watch had this potential, I think you'd be on it now.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2015, 12:07 PM

The iPad has literally changed my life. It has made a while new mode of business feasible for me. But I didn't buy one until I got an iPad 2 at a heavy discount.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2015, 12:24 PM

The iPad has literally changed my life. It has made a while new mode of business feasible for me. But I didn't buy one until I got an iPad 2 at a heavy discount.
So, that's a year+ worth of potential you missed out on.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2015, 12:36 PM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2015, 02:35 PM

So, that's a year+ worth of potential you missed out on.
That potential didn't come to fruition until the year after I bought the iPad, as I didn't start using it in a game-changing way until the jobs came along that forced the issue.

Effectively, I missed out on a year and a half of amusing plaything, which I certainly wouldn't retroactively justify having spent upon three times what I did at the time. I didn't buy until the offer was good enough to be impossible to refuse just for the sheer potential.

And the original iPad would not have lasted NEARLY as long as the iPad 2 did, which is STILL getting updates and living a useful life as my daughter's internet and gaming device.

So: had I jumped on the 1st iPad, I would have spent about twice what I've spent so far, and I'd probably be far less happy with my gear than I have been, as I'd probably still be on an iPad 3 or 4, now. (I'm currently on my second iPad, an iPad Air 2, and couldn't really ask for more.)

Nope: Math works differently on my planet than on yours, and gear lust is tempered by basic sensibility.

OreoCookie
Apr 8, 2015, 04:33 PM

I think anyone expecting Apple Watch to do as well as the iPhone will be disappointed. But I have a hard time thinking of a product like the smartphone that is a must have for almost everyone on planet earth.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2015, 04:46 PM

I'm pretty sure the iPhone is the most successful consumer product of all time, so anyone expecting anything to ever do that well is pretty optimistic.

I think the watch will have a big weekend and then go cold. It's not going to be a huge flop or anything, but will probably remain a niche product in Apples lineup. More of an accessory than a major product pillar.

If it sells even half as well as the iPad, I will be surprised.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2015, 06:59 PM

That potential didn't come to fruition until the year after I bought the iPad, as I didn't start using it in a game-changing way until the jobs came along that forced the issue.

Effectively, I missed out on a year and a half of amusing plaything, which I certainly wouldn't retroactively justify having spent upon three times what I did at the time. I didn't buy until the offer was good enough to be impossible to refuse just for the sheer potential.

And the original iPad would not have lasted NEARLY as long as the iPad 2 did, which is STILL getting updates and living a useful life as my daughter's internet and gaming device.

So: had I jumped on the 1st iPad, I would have spent about twice what I've spent so far, and I'd probably be far less happy with my gear than I have been, as I'd probably still be on an iPad 3 or 4, now. (I'm currently on my second iPad, an iPad Air 2, and couldn't really ask for more.)

Nope: Math works differently on my planet than on yours, and gear lust is tempered by basic sensibility.
subego: The iPad changed my life... in fact, even the janky iPad 1 changed my life.
SH: The iPad 2 changed my life, a year after I got it, therefore I live on sensible math planet.
subego: What the actual goddamn **** are you trying to argue here?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2015, 07:59 PM

Not getting something immediately does not mean that one doesn't "really" want it, nor does it diminish the importance an object might have to apply some sense into planning its acquisition.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2015, 10:36 PM

What implies someone doesn't "really want it" is the claim whatever model isn't/wasn't good enough. Whether someone bought it immediately doesn't even enter into the assessment.

Buying immediately is a separate issue. It's wholly related to Apple's business model. With very few exceptions, Apple EOLs old models when the new model gets released, and the price remains constant throughout the life-cycle.

The earlier in the life-cycle you buy the product, the more utility you get out of it. Maximal utility is reached if you buy at launch.

If you never buy the product during the life-cycle, as was the case with you and the iPad 1, this has no bearing.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2015, 01:06 AM

Balancing utility against cost gives a very different calculation.

I may have got some more utility out of having bought an iPad 1, or I may not. In my case: probably not. The tools I use it with weren't even available at that point, and its technical limitations severely impeded its utility over time.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2015, 11:29 AM

subego: if you don't buy it, then the above calculation has no bearing.
SH: I didn't buy it, so your calculation is incorrect.
subego: AUUUUUUUGGGGHHH!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 9, 2015, 12:16 PM

Confirmed MIL will be preordering hers tomorrow.

andi*pandi
Apr 9, 2015, 12:25 PM

My daughter is still using our ipad1 for internet and games. while there are some that obviously won't run/install, it is a solid machine and still rocks.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2015, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Confirmed MIL
Is that like a "confirmed bachelor"?

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2015, 01:39 PM

We're hours from the preorder.

I want one, both as a fan of tech and a developer.

As a user, I'm starting to doubt it, so I've got two halves of my brain arguing.

So, I think I'm going to get one. The cheapest one. use it for development (trust me, not everything works in the emulator), and if I don't like it I can always dump it on eBay.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 9, 2015, 01:59 PM

Is that like a "confirmed bachelor"?
He dropped an F. He was talking about his wife.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2015, 08:37 PM

I've decided to get one. Having been through hell for most of the last 8 months, I deserve to treat myself, and the money, not to sound arrogant, will be insignificant to what's coming my way.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2015, 01:17 AM

Nope. I want to upgrade my iPhone 5 and iPad 3 before I even think about purchasing an Apple Watch

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Rumor
Apr 10, 2015, 02:24 AM

I have an Apple Store a couple blocks away. When I walked down there an hour ago, there weren't people in line.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2015, 03:06 AM

Now that you can actually preorder...

Yes, you can order the $10k watch with the cheap band.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2015, 03:24 AM

Never said anything about online orders, I was talking about in an Apple B&M store, if you'll recall.

My wife stayed up to order her Edition, sight unseen, I did too but mine was steel.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2015, 03:20 PM

Exclusive: Google is close to making Android Wear work on the iPhone | The Verge

Yeah, I'm probably doing this instead, especially if the new 360 comes out without the flat tire.

Thorzdad
Apr 10, 2015, 06:35 PM

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2015, 10:17 PM

Preordered my 42mm Steel with black classic band right at midnight so I'm in the earliest round of shipments. Can't wait.

Forum Links
Forum Rules