Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Conservative Christians and the ME: Armageddon hopes?

Conservative Christians and the ME: Armageddon hopes? (Page 2)
Kevin
Baninated
Jul 30, 2006, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy
I guess what bothers me most about the supposition lodged here is the assumption that Christians want the end of the world and will influence global government to end it when and how they see fit. I would tell such Christians that they cannot hasten the actions of God and that no man will tell the day or the hour. Actually, I'd probably question their Christianity first to be honest.
BING! This man is correct.

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
AGAIN quit a few people in here still doesn't know what Armageddon is.

And Brussell, it's just not the conservative Christians waiting Jesus's return. The lefties are as well.
Are you sure about that? I don't doubt that literalism with respect to that concept is popular, but there are many who don't believe in that concept as a prophecy of some kind of "Left Behind" type of event, and instead like Luke 17:
Being asked by the Pharisees when the Kingdom of God would come, he answered them, “The Kingdom of God doesn’t come with observation; neither will they say, ‘Look, here!’ or, ‘Look, there!’ for behold, the Kingdom of God is within you."

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 12:56 PM

guess what bothers me most about the supposition lodged here is the assumption that Christians want the end of the world and will influence global government to end it when and how they see fit. I would tell such Christians that they cannot hasten the actions of God and that no man will tell the day or the hour. Actually, I'd probably question their Christianity first to be honest.
I agree ebuddy, but I'm not convinced your view is dominant here.

And there's something deeper here: My problem with the "Left Behind" approach to religion is the morality of it. What kind of people believe in a religion that allegedly tortures and burns everyone except -- well except you and those who agree with you, who get eternal rewards? And how does this view color your perception of the world? Whether people view it as "just happening" or as something to be actively encouraged is a rather minor issue, in my view. It's the basic view that this is true, that it's the way the world works, that I wonder about.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell
I guess I'll be tortured for eternity in a lake of fire, along with the 4 billion other Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, agnostics, and Presbyterians, while you enjoy an eternity in God's reward.
Correct as all get out! You had the chance...
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell
I agree ebuddy, but I'm not convinced your view is dominant here.

And there's something deeper here: My problem with the "Left Behind" approach to religion is the morality of it. What kind of people believe in a religion that allegedly tortures and burns everyone except -- well except you and those who agree with you, who get eternal rewards?
To be short, one with justice. Yes God is loving and full of grace, but one can't take certain facets of him and decide to focus on those. He is also full of justice and wrath, which are very evident in certain parts of the Bible.
This isn't about 'us' and good things for those that 'agree with us,' but for those that have admitted that they've sinned against God and repented for that.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
To be short, one with justice. Yes God is loving and full of grace, but one can't take certain facets of him and decide to focus on those. He is also full of justice and wrath, which are very evident in certain parts of the Bible.
This isn't about 'us' and good things for those that 'agree with us,' but for those that have admitted that they've sinned against God and repented for that.
then...here it comes...why do bad things happen to good people?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2006, 08:08 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules