Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Was Delicious Library 2 at Macworld?

Was Delicious Library 2 at Macworld?
Tsurisuto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 10:03 AM

As I haven't seen many previews or news regarding DL2 recently.

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 12:20 PM

But..but..but.. you were so sure it would be released this Friday.

It's hard to preview vaporware.

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 02:55 PM

Even Sutffit was at Macworld. Was DL2?

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 02:58 PM

I guess the answer is "nope"

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4776304

Beta talks of DL2 since 2005...

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 03:11 PM

Rawketcato
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2008, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by -LD View Post
I guess the answer is "nope"

Delicious Library: Any news at MacWorld? - Mac Forums

Beta talks of DL2 since 2005...
Why..Why the hate? Did some developer touch you when you were a kid?

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2008, 01:04 PM

Ad hominems are fun. Anything to contribute?

Rawketcato
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2008, 01:23 PM

lol, You seem to be fairly angry at a company which I doubt you have any intentions on purchasing it's software. Yes, This daily is extremely excessive, but trolling them is not really going to help anyone. Because you think Delicious Library 2 is "Increasingly Irrelevant" doesn't matter. Almost all your post are bashing A company, Software or a Person. There must be an important reason why they are taking so long. Anyone thought of maybe iPhone support? Again Yes, We rather have it now and complete, but they must have a reason.

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2008, 02:48 PM

I haven't expressed any anger in my posts. I have been commenting on their inaction. That's quite different.

I am a DL owner. Have been for a couple years. As a paying customer I expect something from a company. I am not seeing that from DM. They have lost my business for DL2.

Feynman
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2008, 05:10 PM

I haven't expressed any anger in my posts. I have been commenting on their inaction. That's quite different.

I am a DL owner. Have been for a couple years. As a paying customer I expect something from a company. I am not seeing that from DM. They have lost my business for DL2.
That's just absurd. Paying customer? I think you mean PAID customer. Last I heard DM was not charging for their updates and their not a public company with the NYSE so it's not like you own stock.

What's this rush for DL2 to get out the door other than the fact that it has impressive features?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2008, 08:19 PM

I have a delicious library license too. Was just checking out dvdpedia. Not a pretty as delicious library, but has lots more functionality. It can even link to video files and has a frontrow like interface. Really nice. MIght be buying the license for DVDpedia.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Britonius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2008, 12:46 PM

I'm not sure DM or DL2 was at Macworld 2008 but it does mention that they won an Apple Design Award for their beta software in their most most recent DELICIOUS BLOG which says "But you should know that the top five new features in Delicious Library 2, the REALLY BIG features, the ones that won us the ONLY Apple Design Award EVER given to a beta piece of software (have I mentioned that before?) -- those were your ideas."

Worldwide Developers Conference 2007 - Apple Design Awards
Delicious Library 2 Wins Apple Design Award | Cult of Mac from Wired.com
Theocacao: New Entries for Apple Design Awards 2007

They also explain why there has been some delays on the Dec. 20th blog, check it out as well and be informed.

I am anxiously awaiting DL2 myself. I have looked at those other programs as well especially when they come up as special deals on MUPromo or MacZot, but have always passed in the end as I know DM will come out with something very soon. I saw one article where Wil was quoted as saying it would come out in February, so let's hope that is correct.
( Last edited by Britonius; Jan 25, 2008 at 12:59 PM. )

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2008, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
That's just absurd. Paying customer? I think you mean PAID customer.
True, paid customer. They won't be getting anymore of my money for DL2.

What's this rush for DL2 to get out the door other than the fact that it has impressive features?
Thing is, it doesn't have impressive features. It has features that already exist in other products, true. It has some pretty eye candy. That's about it.

What's revolutionary? They finally fixed the speed of their program? That's not "new", that's fixing a problem. It takes advantage of some neato new Leopard whizbang features? But what does that gain it in practice to the end user? It can catalog tools? Fantastic. It has HTML export? Welcome to the 21st century.

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2008, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Britonius View Post
They also explain why there has been some delays on the Dec. 20th blog, check it out as well and be informed.
Read it. He blames it partly on "major" updates for DL1. Of course, one of those was scanning, which they needed for DL2 anyway so that's reusable code. The second was the international version. So, uh, yay? Isn't that simply localization and connecting to Amazons other than US? Doesn't seem overwhelming. And again, that's portable to DL2 since they will need international support with Amazon as well.

His explanation is a BS snowjob. The point of his post was simply to try to get people to give him money since it's obvious the sales were dead while people try to wait for DL2.

I am anxiously awaiting DL2 myself.
Keep on waiting!

I have looked at those other programs as well especially when they come up as special deals on MUPromo or MacZot, but have always passed in the end as I know DM will come out with something very soon.
How soon?

I saw one article where Wil was quoted as saying it would come out in February, so let's hope that is correct.
I wouldn't bet on it. They said when Leopard was released. Mid-December. Mid-January. "Very close" back in December. 2 years ago.

I'm sure it will come out someday, I just don't expect it anytime soon.

agentsarah6
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2008, 03:20 AM

Little had I realised when I joined this forum just how much DL2 had turned into a piece of software of 3D Realms/Duke Nukem Forever proportions.

pdmarsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2008, 09:03 PM

As are many, I'm disappointed that Delicious Library 2 isn't out yet. I moved my home databases over to DL1 from FileMaker Pro because I liked the interface better, and it's super cool to scan in new books, movies, etc.

The only thing it was missing for me was an easy way to print out a listing of the database contents, so I could have a copy of my video library on my coffee table (for example) instead of having to visit my Mac. When I asked about it, DM suggested I import into Excel and print from there, which of course isn't a simple, or acceptable, solution. However, they promised to include this in DL2, so I've continued to use the product, which I admit I really like.

That said, I've been reading excuse after excuse on the "upcoming" release of DL2 for a long time now, and have come to have this queasy feeling that perhaps, just perhaps, the personnel loses they've been experiencing have placed the whole project in jeopardy. That's supposition, but feels comparable to that great deal you purchased at eBay, but after paying for it it never seems to arrive in the mail.

If DL2 does fail to materialize, I'll be sorely disappointed, and I certainly don't look forward to migrating thousands of records over to another program, which would certainly not be as cool. I don't need a lot of whiz-bang new features, but I DO need an acceptable printing solution.

I'm also concerned that they've committed to so many new features that the sheer complexity has overwhelmed their resources. Perhaps it's time to cut back (a-la Vista) to something they can actually get out the door, and shelve the other goodies until they have the resources to move ahead.

I think this disappointment is what is driving all the opprobrium. Delicious Library 2 IS beginning to feel like vaporware. While I'd like to encourage people to cough up their cash to keep DM working on the product, without regular blog updates on their progress I'm left to wonder whether they really are working on the product, or just siphoning the cash off from their initial success, while looking for new work elsewhere.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm beginning to lose the faith.
- Dave Marsh

pdmarsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2008, 11:01 PM

I watched the TUAW interview today, and it was just more disappointment. Mike Lee's reply to when it would be out: ...when it's finished...

They had a 25 minute interview with a large HD TV plugged in and showed nothing of note for average users. His most vaunted addition? Adding AppleScripts into the DL2 Menu structure...something I'll never use. Oh, and they added a fire animation for objects that are deleted. These are cool features, but certainly nothing to crow about after a year's delay, or three month delay if you limit it just to Leopard's release.

TUAW link: TUAW Interviews Mike Lee of Delicious Monster, looks at Delicious Library 2 - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)
- Dave Marsh

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2008, 11:42 PM

"Right now the private beta is scheduled to come out February 11. I don't know how many bugs the beta will find, so there's really no way for me to tell you when the final version will come out."

What a joke. Seriously. Pathetic. Any awards you've gotten for this app should be taken away.

anyrandomthing
Jan 26, 2008, 11:53 PM

well, i just spent 15 minutes writing up a post and seemed to have lost it. oh well.

Anyway, the gist of it was that I think these last few posts express how I feel, too.

Basically, Wil and Mike seem like cool dudes who like to do nice work, but it seems increasingly likely this program won't be out for quite some time, or possibly the entire project falls apart. I feel like we hear more about problems arising than problems being worked out.

I'm not going to attack the program, or say it's stupid worthless, etc. It's a great program, and I'm probably buying it no matter when it comes, but I have to agree with pdmarsh's post. The video from tuaw really seems to disappoint. I heard a lot of "crap your pants" talk about how amazing it was/is and really just see some flames where there should be a prompt, and some applescript support that I won't use. I'd like new, inspiring practical things, but I see superfluous jazz and features that should have existed a long time ago (backup, duh?). Time will tell.

anyrandomthing
Jan 26, 2008, 11:57 PM

MikeShayne, out of curiosity, where did you read this?

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2008, 12:07 AM

In Wil's comments in the latest Delicious blog update.

And I completely agree with you. All I want is to be able to show my collection in html. I don't give a crap about items bursting into flames or the ability to list tools. I just want to have access to my collection online like dvdaficionado or dvdspot. Shouldn't be that difficult. I mean, like was posted in another thread, look at Borders books new beta site. Why the hell can't we get that feature?

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2008, 12:37 AM

I don't know how many bugs the beta will find, so there's really no way for me to tell you when the final version will come out.
I thought they said there wouldn't be any bugs because their beta wouldn't come out until they resolved all bugs...

Tsurisuto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2008, 04:25 AM

I thought they said there wouldn't be any bugs because their beta wouldn't come out until they resolved all bugs...
Their beta wouldn't come out until they resolved all known bugs..

Feynman
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2008, 08:42 AM

I'm pretty sure the guys over at DM are working their asses off. At the same time I'm sure they're pretty damn stressed out. While I agree with the fact that they should not be adding more and more features that we don't need, someone will find use for them. We in this form are a minority and when this thing gets released, they will be releasing it to the majority, whom will find the features useful.

I'm betting on a June release.

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2008, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I'm betting on a June release.
Of what year?

KTM525
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2008, 09:56 AM

allways the next year

Sry, but the monster's have to living with some sarcasm :-)

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2008, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by MikeShayne View Post
"Right now the private beta is scheduled to come out February 11. I don't know how many bugs the beta will find, so there's really no way for me to tell you when the final version will come out."
If you get into the beta, the first you'll know about won't be until approximately February 14th.
Slipping again.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2008, 05:26 PM

Delicious Library 2 was at Macworld, but not for sale. We're planning on being there next year in an official way, but who knows.

Yes, we are working our asses off. Yes, we are stressed. Yes, we want to ship this app like nobody's business.

If you think it's funny to watch a projection slip by a couple of days, strap in. If Wil gets the flu, it will slip by a whole week or more. That's just how it works.

You should buy a piece of software based on how well it meets your needs. That's why we have a demo.

You should not buy a piece of software based on what it will do in a future version, nor on how long it took to produce.

pdmarsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2008, 05:37 PM

I haven't seen anything about DL2's printing capabilities. Is there anything you can share? I'm still looking for an easy way to print out a formatted listing of my movie library to use in the living room that doesn't involve an export to Excel, or another program. Just create the format, save it, select print report in that format from a menu in DL2.
- Dave Marsh

agentsarah6
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2008, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Delicious Monster View Post
You should not buy a piece of software based on what it will do in a future version, nor on how long it took to produce.
Yet people still do and I believe that it's ignorant to think otherwise. When people follow something in development for so long and do not perceive it moving forward then they lose faith and walk away from it. People are fickle and simply cannot be bothered if this is what happens.

What I have observed on these forums is a loss of faith. I may not have entirely lost faith but others have and that is a problem for your business.

Forum Links
Forum Rules