Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Problems with a lazy boss - WWYD?

Problems with a lazy boss - WWYD?
MrsLarry
Senior User
Jun 27, 2011, 11:57 AM

I know this isn't exactly art and design related, but it's about me, a graphic designer and my boss, my art director/designer - so I'd rather post here than get flamed out in the Lounge.

My in-house team is just three people: Brand Manager, my Art Director supervisor (really just a title, she's a designer too) and me. Lately, she has been pawning off a lot of her work on me. It's actually pretty surprising, because there is obvious transparency on the number of projects we're each working on to our BM, who she's told that her workload has been light the last week or two. Meanwhile, I've been steadily busy working on my own projects, and hers when I can. This week she's on vacation, and has once again left me in a lurch with unfinished projects, missed deadlines and a general lack of information (Friday she said "Should be an easy week for you next week, all my projects are wrapped up!" - Clearly not the case).

My husband says I should disclose all this in great detail to our BM (her boss). I say it's not a good idea to throw my supervisor in the fire. Typically, I subtly hint to the BM that things are getting done correctly, and she usually acknowledges this, yet, things persist. Yet another co-worker says I should address it directly with my supervisor, but how do you tell your supervisor that she's being lazy?

What say you, friends?

andi*pandi
Jun 27, 2011, 01:03 PM

You risk being blamed for her projects not being done if you can't juggle yours and hers successfully. That's how I would take it with the BM. Don't blame her or make excuses, just put it down.

Like so:

"Joe, I'm concerned that Projects B, C, and D won't get finished because Sue asked me to work on Project A. There is a lot more to do on Project A than expected. Which projects would you prefer I work on first?"

This doesn't accuse Sue of anything, protects you, and puts the decisions on the BM. You could have the conversation with your boss in a similar manner, but frankly she sounds like an airhead who is hoping you'll pick up her slack.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2011, 01:27 PM

I like that. It keeps it factual and focused on the projects.
If the BM isn't an airhead as well, she'll draw the right conclusions.

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
"Joe, I'm concerned that Projects B, C, and D won't get finished because Sue asked me to work on Project A. There is a lot more to do on Project A than expected. Which projects would you prefer I work on first?"
I'd suggest the same comment to the AD, not the BM.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2011, 07:23 PM

Ah, but she's out on vacation when said realization occurred to you and you though it best not to wait till she gets back.

OreoCookie
Jun 28, 2011, 06:48 AM

andi*pandi's suggestion is spot on: you should definitely communicate to your boss `I won't be able to get all the work done.' but don't try to blame your Art Director. Meaning: you don't feel like playing fire brigade every time your Art Director screws up, but don't put the blame on her. If you don't communicate that clearly, your business manager in all likelihood won't notice that there is even a problem (`as long as it works …').

The other thing is to say `no' to your Art Director whenever she tries to offload her work: `If I do A for you, I don't think I will be able to complete projects B and C on time.' This way, it's her decision, shares a large part of the responsibility and she is aware of the potential consequences. If there is a disagreement between the two of you and the Business Manager has to mediate, you're in a much better position.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2011, 07:00 AM

Honesty is the best policy. Tell them both exactly how you feel.

Thorzdad
Jun 28, 2011, 07:41 AM

Definitely communicate this issue with the BM (since the AD is gone). I'd start the conversation as a sincere request for prioritization for all of the projects. I would frame it as "I'm working on Project A and B, and was also given my AD's Project X. What's the priority on all of these?"

I would also have a talk with your AD once she gets back. It's not right, especially in such a small shop, that she's dumping her work load off on you. Unprofessional.

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jun 28, 2011, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Today, as usual, I had to put together a weekly status for the BM and I listed all the projects I'm currently working on for this week - all 15 of them. Then I added a section at the bottom (maybe this is bitchy and passive-aggressive, but so be it) with the heading "Overflow work from AD that didn't get completed last week", then listed the 5-7 projects AD left me with. Then I added "I'm going to have to do some strategic managing of any new requests that come in this with, because with all the projects I'm involved in, plus the overflow, it's looking like I'm practically double-booked for the week"

She responded sympathetically with an "Oh wow, I didn't realize there was so much going on, and AD is going to owe you BIG when she gets back from vacation"

Eh. It felt better at the time to get it out there, and like some of you have said I want to be sure the burden of responsibility is clear, if something should go wrong. I can't say I'm thrilled with the outcome, and I'd still like to have a chat with AD at some point once she's back in, but I know that's going to be difficult. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Thorzdad
Jun 29, 2011, 07:19 AM

Well, it's good that you got the issue out there for the BM to see. I'm not excited by their response, though. That's a response that tells me that BM has no opinion, really, about work loads and scheduling and it's up to you and AD to work it out.

andi*pandi
Jun 29, 2011, 08:31 AM

Well, it's good that you alerted the BM in some way, however you also sent the mixed message that you are handling it all. This will only encourage them to let this continue.

andi*pandi
Jun 29, 2011, 08:32 AM

heh, I started writing my post earlier and Thorzdad and I must be on the same wavelength.

Thorzdad
Jun 29, 2011, 08:40 AM

My mind to your mind...my thoughts to your thoughts...

OreoCookie
Jun 29, 2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by MrsLarry View Post
Then I added a section at the bottom (maybe this is bitchy and passive-aggressive, but so be it) with the heading "Overflow work from AD that didn't get completed last week", then listed the 5-7 projects AD left me with. ...
I don't think that was the right way to go about it: you write yourself `bitchy and passive aggressive.' Is your business manager a man or a woman?
She responded sympathetically with an "Oh wow, I didn't realize there was so much going on, and AD is going to owe you BIG when she gets back from vacation"
That means your BM still doesn't see this as a systematic problem, but as a favor of yours towards the AD, because she was on vacation. Now when she gets back, she'll be `surprised' to find out she owes you. From what you write, I don't think she thinks she owes you anything. And I agree with Thorzdad and andi*pandi, it doesn't sound to me as if the BM wants to get involved.

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jun 29, 2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Is your business manager a man or a woman?
Woman. Why?

Yeah, I don't necessarily think my sending that email was a particularly effective solution, I really just let my anger get the best of me for 5 minutes. Knowing the BM like I do, I suspect (90% sure?) that she sees what's going on - she's not dumb by any means. She's the kind of person that doesn't talk about other employees much, if she plans to say something to AD, she would never let on to me. She may also be trying to find the best way to approach the situation with AD, who's been here ~7 years. If she really is oblivious to the situation, well, I guess I'm just scrwed, eh?

I do plan to address it with AD when she gets back, just haven't figured how quite how yet. It will probably involve me doing about 20 "practice runs" in my car during my drive home.

OreoCookie
Jun 29, 2011, 03:31 PM

Woman. Why?
In my experience, men and women tend to communicate differently. Men, for instance, tend to have a lower tolerance for bitchiness and passive-aggressiveness.

andi*pandi
Jul 6, 2011, 02:33 PM

so is the boss back yet?

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jul 6, 2011, 04:43 PM

The boss is back. I think I'm going to wait for her to do it again, and bring it up with her on the spot. I feel like that might be more effective, rather than me sounding whiny.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2011, 04:51 PM

Just email her a link to this thread.

-t

Thorzdad
Jul 6, 2011, 05:23 PM

You should hand-back her projects. "Hi. Glad you're back. Here's your projects back for you to wrap-up."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
You should hand-back her projects. "Hi. Glad you're back. Here's your projects back for you to wrap-up. Needs more red."
Fixed.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Thorzdad
Jul 6, 2011, 07:05 PM

"Make the logo bigger."

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2011, 05:07 AM

<snip>
( Last edited by Andy8; Jul 11, 2011 at 05:21 AM. )

art_director
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2011, 07:08 PM

Before I was freelance I ran a creative department with several writers, ADs, and designers as well as traffic and production teams. This exact situation came about a few times. In the instances where the subject was approached as suggested by andi*pandi, I acted immediately to correct the problem and praised the individuals for their honesty and professionalism. When people acted out in the way you describe (intentional use of acted out) I let them suffer through it for their lack of tact, absence of professionalism and for pinging the pain-in-the-ass factor.

This may sound harsh but put yourself in the managers place for a moment. A CD, as I was, has to wrangle the client, account people, production, budgets, upper management, office politics of a higher order and needs to sometimes pinch hit on projects. Those working under a CD are there to support and aid the CD as well as the team. If they're getting political or undermining the team with petty personality issues they can find another job, AFAIC.

Sure, the AD dumped on you but your boss didn't need the backstory, just the facts about your workload. You and the AD can pee in each others' Cheerios® without troubling your manager.

Forum Links
Forum Rules