Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac, recovering files from time machine.

New iMac, recovering files from time machine.
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2021, 05:23 PM

My new iMac arrived last Friday and I mistakenly did the set up prior to obtaining a USB C>USB A dongle. I have home videos on my time machine from the old iMac that were not on it due to the hard drive dying and getting replaced with an SSD. I transferred what was on the old iMac to the new one. I fired up the migration assistant and it wants to replace the existing account with the time machine account. How can I do this without losing my emails and other data that is on the new iMac?
45/47

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2021, 07:19 PM

If its just the pictures and videos you want, best bet is to manually copy them from the TM backup I'd say.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2021, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
If its just the pictures and videos you want, best bet is to manually copy them from the TM backup I'd say.
Thank you, that is what I am doing now. I have a 1TB HDD I am copying the videos to it. I have iCloud so my photos and documents are in cloud. It's over 650GB of video from my old Hi8 and mini DV. Many are iMovie and Final Cut projects. I have over 256GB on the cloud that also reside on the new iMac. I need to go through and comb through it all and see what can be deleted.

I plan on reformatting the 8TB drive after I make sure I have what I need, then use it for video/music storage, and use the 1TB as a time machine backup. I need to get a dock with more USB a ports. The one I bought has only two, and I have two external drives and a Blu-ray burner that are USB A 3.0. Now that I thing about it, I can use the NAS port on my Gigabit router.
45/47

reader50
Administrator
Jul 19, 2021, 08:59 PM

Using the 8TB drive for media storage, and the 1TB for Time Machine? Sounds like the media files will have no backup. Perhaps the other way around - 8TB TM volume, 1TB extra media drive?

Forum Links
Forum Rules