Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Lieberman

Lieberman
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2006, 03:33 PM

He's being challenged in the Democratic primary in CT by Ned Lamont, and is leading by just 6 points, 46-40. Considering that primaries have low turnout, and only those most energized get out to vote, there's a very good chance he could lose. The primary is Aug. 8.

Lieberman has a 49% approval rating among Democrats but a 66% approval among Republicans.

So Lieberman announced today that if he loses the Democratic primary, he will run as an independent but remain in the Democratic caucus.

I supported him in the 2004 Democratic primary for president. It's too bad if he loses, but he's just been too big of a suck-up to Bush. In the end you've got to be accountable to your constituents. And if he runs as an independent, I hope he loses.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell
He's being challenged in the Democratic primary in CT by Ned Lamont, and is leading by just 6 points, 46-40. Considering that primaries have low turnout, and only those most energized get out to vote, there's a very good chance he could lose. The primary is Aug. 8.

Lieberman has a 49% approval rating among Democrats but a 66% approval among Republicans.

So Lieberman announced today that if he loses the Democratic primary, he will run as an independent but remain in the Democratic caucus.

I supported him in the 2004 Democratic primary for president. It's too bad if he loses, but he's just been too big of a suck-up to Bush. In the end you've got to be accountable to your constituents. And if he runs as an independent, I hope he loses.

I've heard this kind of thing before. WHat has he done that has made him a suck up?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
WHat has he done that has made him a suck up?
He dares not to follow his party like a lemming.

His willingness to go against his party and even switch parties is testament to his conviction. He is more of a "real" person than most of the Democratic or Republican parties.

BRussell, If he is such a Bush "suck up" then why not switch to the Republican party? He could have done that long ago.
( Last edited by smacintush; Jul 3, 2006 at 03:57 PM. )
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2006, 04:00 PM

Lieberman is in the wrong party. He should join with the Republicans, because that's where his heart is.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 3, 2006, 04:13 PM

Lieberman is NOT a toe-the-line Liberal. That's why most brainwashed Liberals don't like him. He's a very intelligent person. Gore was wise to have picked him as a running mate when he did.

I could easily be convinced to vote Lieberman for president if he ever ran.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Lieberman is NOT a toe-the-line Liberal. That's why most brainwashed Liberals don't like him. He's a very intelligent person. Gore was wise to have picked him as a running mate when he did.

I could easily be convinced to vote Lieberman for president if he ever ran.
QED

V

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush
He dares not to follow his party like a lemming.

His willingness to go against his party and even switch parties is testament to his conviction. He is more of a "real" person than most of the Democratic or Republican parties.

BRussell, If he is such a Bush "suck up" then why not switch to the Republican party? He could have done that long ago.
Yes, you're right, he's quite liberal and a good Democrat on many issues. But I think it's fair to say that the war in Iraq is the fundamental question of this period of political history, and, unfortunately, he's followed Bush like a lemming.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2006, 05:08 PM

Yes, you're right, he's quite liberal and a good Democrat on many issues. But I think it's fair to say that the war in Iraq is the fundamental question of this period of political history, and, unfortunately, he's followed Bush like a lemming.

Not to veer off topic, but I bet that the next big issue will become the environment.

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Not to veer off topic, but I bet that the next big issue will become the environment.
This thread is now about lube.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2006, 05:43 PM

This thread is now about lube.

Yes, as it should be.

Did you know that WD40 is not actually a lube?

Do you remember wdlove? He named himself wdlove because he likes WD-40.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 3, 2006, 06:22 PM

Water Displacement, formula 40.

That is, forty attempts to get a penetrating oil-solvent combination.

Lieberman is a Liberal Democrat. He is. Yet he chose to support the War on Terror in Iraq.
Joe Wilson is reputed to be a Republican, yet he chose to reject the War on Terror and curry favor with Democrats in power.

Interestingly, if both of these people have gone with their conscience and knowledge in arriving at these decisions, then we simply need to ask who knows more information, rather than whose position seems to align with our own.

Is Lieberman in a position to know more intelligence information than Joe Wilson?
What leads Lieberman to support the War on Terror when his fellow partymembers are rejecting it for political gain?

Railroader
Banned
Jul 3, 2006, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
QED

V
I am NOT a Republican. I am simply 100% anti-abortion. You give me a bleeding heart liberal who is anti-abortion and I will campaign in my free time to get him/her elected.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2006, 08:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMeW6wNI1gM

Ann Coulter says it like it is.. for once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRLMLqwA92E

Liberman opens debate for the Republicans. He feels right at home and Republicans give him a petting like the good dog he is.

Schmuck.

V

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2006, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
I am NOT a Republican. I am simply 100% anti-abortion. You give me a bleeding heart liberal who is anti-abortion and I will campaign in my free time to get him/her elected.
Then why would you say you could vote for Lieberman, who is very pro-choice?

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks
Water Displacement, formula 40.

That is, forty attempts to get a penetrating oil-solvent combination.

Lieberman is a Liberal Democrat. He is. Yet he chose to support the War on Terror in Iraq.
Joe Wilson is reputed to be a Republican, yet he chose to reject the War on Terror and curry favor with Democrats in power.

Interestingly, if both of these people have gone with their conscience and knowledge in arriving at these decisions, then we simply need to ask who knows more information, rather than whose position seems to align with our own.

Is Lieberman in a position to know more intelligence information than Joe Wilson?
What leads Lieberman to support the War on Terror when his fellow partymembers are rejecting it for political gain?
Its either Faith, or one of them is a big sucker.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 3, 2006, 10:19 PM

Then why would you say you could vote for Lieberman, who is very pro-choice?
Ask yourself why I am would NOT vote for Lieberman. I could be convinced, if he was ant-abortion. Alas, I am stuck voting for the lesser of two evils.

Forum Links
Forum Rules