Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > g5 video card advice

g5 video card advice
Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2007, 08:33 PM

Hello all, I am going to upgrade my video card, and first of all I need advice between the Geforce 7300 GT, and the Radeon x1900 GT, I have grown to love Nvidia on both my macs and pcs and have had no problems with it and have been impressed with the quality of their processors, I haven't use ATI since 2001 in an older custom machine I built, I don't remember how good it was.

After I get that out of the way, I have another question, can I keep my old 6600LE inside the mac at the same time, to hook up 3 or 4 monitors?

I know that the mac is PCI, but does this old card require a x16 slot, or can it work with the new one in just a regular PCI slot?

Thanks.

My machine is a 2.0 GHz powermac, late 2005 with 2 GB RAM
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 1, 2007, 11:45 PM

You have PCIe slots, not PCI. You can put a compatible graphics card in any slot, up to 4 graphics cards & 8 monitors.

Forget about the 7300GT, it has firmware that's only compatible with the MacPros. Your choices are the 6600LE, 6600, 7800, or X1900GT. That, or investigate the flashing scene to see what other cards have been made to work.

You haven't told us what you want the new graphics card to do, so it's hard to recommend one card over another. If you just want multiple monitors cheap, pick up another 6600LE for G5 off ebay. If you want games or Core Graphics work, go for a 7800 or the X1900GT. Looking for in-between performance, but still fairly cheap? 6600 for G5 off ebay.

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2007, 09:15 AM

Sorry, I am going to be doing some mild gaming, something that 256 MB Vram could handle easily. I also do some heavy duty aperture work, which again, 256MB will be better than my 128 for performance in that app too.

So I guess my choice is the X1900GT, thanks for your help.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2007, 07:45 PM

Where would I find a list of these compatible video cards that people have gotten to work?

Forum Links
Forum Rules