Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Torchlight - Diablo 2.5 for $19.95, available now

Torchlight - Diablo 2.5 for $19.95, available now
moep
Senior User
Oct 28, 2009, 10:36 AM

Torchlight is a new Action-RPS by a bunch of pretty good people: The lead-designer of Fate as well three co-designers of Diablo and Diablo II.

There are only three classes: Destroyer (melee), Alchemist (caster), Vanquisher (ranger). Every player gets a permanent pet that helps during combat and also has its own inventory to carry items. The pet can also be told to run to the town and sell the entire inventory. It never dies, just flees (becomes invulnerable and stops attacking) when it is low on health.

No Multiplayer at the moment, a Free-to-Play MMO version is supposed to be be released within the next 18 months.

The game is available for Windows now and a Mac port will follow in January. I’ve played it for an hour so far and the first impression was that it is way too easy on "Normal". I’m no pro-gamer by any means but "Hard" seems just right.

Torchlight by Runic Games
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

mr. burns
Senior User
Nov 1, 2009, 08:30 PM

looks pretty interesting. hope they do put multiplayer in. the other main diablo-like game, titan quest, has multiplayer but it's pretty poorly implemented.

not all who wander are lost.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2009, 09:11 AM

Today's episode of Totally Rad Show talks about this and they seem to be quite impressed with it.

I'll take a look at it when the Mac OS version comes out.

mr. burns
Senior User
Nov 4, 2009, 03:52 PM

really loving this game so far. i've got an alchemist up to level 22 and i'm going to start a destroyer soon. not having multiplayer sucks, but if they translate this this over to an mmo, i'll be all over it.

not all who wander are lost.

Cold Warrior
Nov 4, 2009, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by mr. burns View Post
really loving this game so far. i've got an alchemist up to level 22 and i'm going to start a destroyer soon. not having multiplayer sucks, but if they translate this this over to an mmo, i'll be all over it.
mmo in about 2 years, according to this ars article, which also has some good info on the game.

Diablo for loners: the story behind indie-hit Torchlight - Ars Technica

Forum Links
Forum Rules