Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any baseball/Ernie Harwell fans?

Any baseball/Ernie Harwell fans?
residentEvil
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2009, 08:55 PM

Finally got to posting my photos from Ernie's farewell speech at Comerica Park. I was pretty far away (cheap seats this year for my season tickets, it was all I could afford) so not the greatest. There are plenty of Detroit area news sites with "up close and personal" photos

Enjoy the photos here: www.hoedeman.net

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 17, 2009, 09:57 PM

I read about Ernie retiring, and thought "even with Tiger Stadium a thing of the past, there was a link to the teams of old-until now." I'm sad to hear that Ernie is retiring, but I'll keep those memories of slow and drawling play-by-play calls. That's still what I think of when I think of baseball.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2009, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I read about Ernie retiring, and thought "even with Tiger Stadium a thing of the past, there was a link to the teams of old-until now." I'm sad to hear that Ernie is retiring, but I'll keep those memories of slow and drawling play-by-play calls. That's still what I think of when I think of baseball.
he retired 7 years ago; this is his farewell before he passes...he was diagnosed with an incurable cancer that is near his bile duct two weeks ago. this is the way he wanted to do it; short and sweet and say good bye/thanks to Detroit. he is also going to be the honorary captain for the Lions Sunday and perform the coin toss.

starting at the bottom of this page; you can read what has transpired the last two weeks: http://www.freep.com/article/9999999...=ERNIE_HARWELL

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2009, 08:55 AM

When I think of baseball I hear Ernie's voice. I have fond memories of listening to Ernie on a transistor radio on my walk home from elementary school.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 18, 2009, 09:27 AM

I didn't phrase my post very well. I should have said "When I read about Ernie's retirement..." then added that I'm sad he's terminal. But I got caught up in memory, thinking of his announcing, as if I had just heard a game... It was like I was reminiscing about Al Kaline and the '68 series... I sort of forgot about anything but baseball for a while. That's the kind of thing Ernie's voice could do for me.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules