Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Recommend me a pair of headphones for my iPod and my ProBook

Recommend me a pair of headphones for my iPod and my ProBook
OreoCookie
Jul 2, 2010, 12:41 PM

I have had Koss Porta Pros for a few years now, but the quality is steadily declining (in particular the plug has gotten flimsier and flimsier). I'm chewing through a pair of headphones a year.

So I would like to have alternatives. I don't want them to be too large and of decent sound and build quality. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 2, 2010, 04:54 PM

In b4 Bose.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2010, 06:03 PM

How big is too large?

I love my Sony MDR-7506 with the Beyer pads.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2010, 06:31 PM

Bang & Olufsen earphones

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2010, 07:43 PM

I have had Klipsch Custom 3s for about a year now, totally love them.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2010, 10:47 PM

Buds, on-ear, or over-ear? Budget? What type of music? Picking out a set of cans is as subjective as selecting speakers.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2010, 11:29 PM

The sony MDR7506's are AWESOME!!!!

I really like my Sennheiser HD280 PROs too... when I replace these I will be going with the sonys though.

If you have never listened to a >$60 pair of headphones you really should... its truly amazing.

Bose headphones are decent, but overpriced... try to listed to a set of 7506s they are awesome.

I had a pair of sony MDR700s? (the silver DJ headphones) and the bass was amazing but the build was flawed and they still always break.

-Zach

OreoCookie  (op)
Jul 3, 2010, 03:33 AM

The budget is about 60-80 €, perhaps more if I'm really tempted -- after all, that's what I've paid for my first pair of Porta Pros. Regarding what is too big and what isn't, I don't think I want a closed headphone (e. g. a pair of Grados), they're simply way too big.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2010, 07:38 AM

Koss gives a lifetime warrantee, so why not just send them in and get a free replacement? The Portapro was introduced in the 80's, so it's getting slightly long in the tooth but is still great value for the money. I love them.

A great alternative are the Sennheiser PX100 (not 200, they suck). Cost about the same, fold down flat and sound fantastic for the money.

Stay well clear of Bose.

Review link

OreoCookie  (op)
Jul 3, 2010, 06:15 PM

I bought my first Porta Pro 7~8 years ago when they cost me 86 €. My last pair cost about a third (~30 €). In the same time span, the thickness of the cable has decreased significantly (feels almost like a factor of 2, the cables on my initial Porta Pro were massive!) and the quality of the plug has gone from solid to flimsy.

I've sent them in a few times and I've had good experiences with the customer service. However, I'd prefer to get something that doesn't break on me within a year or less. To be honest, if I could buy and old-school Porta Pro with a decent plug and cable, I'd be a happy camper.

The alternatives posted here are either too expensive or too big. Regarding what is too big, I don't want closed headphones, they're too bulky and I look as if I work on the tarmac of Munich airport

@Phileas
Thanks for the review, I'll read it tomorrow (it's quite late here)
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Jul 3, 2010 at 06:40 PM. )

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2010, 08:48 PM

If you don't want closed headphones, (or similar sized offerings that aren't technically closed) your best bet for good sound quality is a pair of canalphones for about $100 are probably a good bet.

Btw has anyone noticed that cheap canalphones have largely replaced the earbud market, must be a style thing I don't understand.

Forum Links
Forum Rules