Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone videos/photos - posted online

iPhone videos/photos - posted online
residentEvil
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2011, 07:37 AM

I've noticed on YouTube and social media sites, that most the time the videos/photos posted from an iPhone are all in portrait mode; with what I would call a terrible ratio (height v width). iPhone 4 has 5mp camera and if set at the highest resolution, portrait orientation...the resulting photo is a heck of a lot "taller" then my digital 5mp camera also set at the highest resolution, portrait orientation.

The videos/photos all look out of proportion to me based on what my 5mp digital camera gives me (in video or photo mode)

Is that because the user taking those videos/pictures are holding their phone in portrait orientation? Or are sites cropping it funny? Or even is the phone itself cropping it funny? Or am I so use to seeing photos/videos in landscape mode (like for TVs, and monitors, etc) that its just in my head they look so funny now that so many people have these devices/using them portrait?

If it is because of the phone is in portrait, why the heck, for example, are so many people taking video that way when the only thing in the frame ends up being just the subject and no surroundings? Very annoying as you can't see much. Photos too. I much prefer landscape...I guess.

/nitpicky /rant /annoying to me

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2011, 12:21 PM

I have a feeling part of it is you can easily do portrait one-handed, while you need to do a weird lobster claw thing for landscape.

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2011, 01:51 PM

i can see that; still bothers me

for me; sharing content just to be quick/fast isn't as helpful as well thought out and displayed properly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules