Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > SD-card reader won't write, sensor dirty/defective

SD-card reader won't write, sensor dirty/defective
OreoCookie
Jul 18, 2011, 05:16 AM

I noticed that I'm no longer able to write onto SD cards using the built-in card reader of my MacBook Pro. Is there any troubleshooting I can do short of sending it in for repair to Apple (something I'm very reluctant to do for such a minor issue)?

I've tried multiple cards and reading off of them works just fine. (I haven't noticed the problem, because I have the habit of formatting memory cards on my camera to get rid of photos.) Hence, I assume it's a problem with the write protection sensor.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2011, 07:40 AM

don't know if you have bootcamp on it or a virtual machine, but try it in windows if you can. mine now only works in windows. for me, it hasn't worked in OS X for about a year...read only works like you mentioned. never looked into an OS update if that 'broke' it or not. i just start up a virtual machine and use it then when i need to write to it. didn't have the time to nuke and pave and start with original OS disks looking to see when/what update made it stop working.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2011, 07:47 AM

and to add to it, i've been looking for a good USB card read for all my macs to share (macbook, macbook pro, imac and mac pro) with SD and micro SD being the most often cards i use (or just SD, as all my micro SD cards come with adapters for full SD readers).

so if anyone else that chimes in has one they are happy with, let me know

OreoCookie  (op)
Jul 18, 2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
don't know if you have bootcamp on it or a virtual machine, but try it in windows if you can. mine now only works in windows. for me, it hasn't worked in OS X for about a year...read only works like you mentioned.
I see, that makes the situation a lot more interesting …
The only reason why I would like to be able to write to SD card is because I want to install a firmware upgrade on my dslr -- and apparently NIkon dropped the feature that allowed you to select mass storage as USB protocol :hmmm:
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2011, 08:24 AM

it was just a thought to try...i did, and i can read/write again.

i use mine to write playlists to it from iTunes so i can play them in my car (it has USB, iPod/iPhone, etc too...but i like just putting in the SD card in and not have to worry about carrying anything if i don't wan to). also, nobody sees any wires/gadgets so less apt to break in and steal too. the SD card slot is incognito...and in MP3 format, 2GB is plenty of music for me. haven't tired a SDHC card yet (4+ GB). wonder if those work in the car too?

ibook_steve
Jul 18, 2011, 03:10 PM

Well if it's a dirt issue, maybe all you need is a little compressed air in there.

Also try flipping the lock/unlock switches a few times, just to make sure.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules