Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Microsoft abandons Flash support in Metro version of IE

Microsoft abandons Flash support in Metro version of IE
OreoCookie
Sep 15, 2011, 06:10 AM

So Microsoft is following Apple's lead to abandon Flash support in the Metro version of IE10. It will still be supported in the Desktop version of IE10, but since Metro is painted as Microsoft's future, it means Flash will be phased out slowly. I'm quite happy and hope Adobe finally seems the writing on the wall.

Any thoughts?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

P
Sep 15, 2011, 08:06 AM

Very interesting. I wonder if this is why Adobe released that Flash media server thingy that streams plain H.264 if there is no Flash support?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 08:13 AM

Interesting indeed. Though, I don't think it necessarily means that Flash will be phased out of IE entirely. Metro is, right now, strictly a mobile platform and MS is clearly making this decision based on battery life. Similar to Apple and Safari and Flash, we might see different Flash support between Mobile and Desktop when Metro hits the desktops/laptops.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2011, 09:08 AM

Can't wait for the 'We <3 Microsoft' Adobe banners.

OreoCookie  (op)
Sep 15, 2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Metro is, right now, strictly a mobile platform and MS is clearly making this decision based on battery life. Similar to Apple and Safari and Flash, we might see different Flash support between Mobile and Desktop when Metro hits the desktops/laptops.
Metro isn't necessarily meant for slates/tablets and smart phones, it is supposed to become the default interface of desktop Windows apps. That's what I think makes this decision so interesting

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2011, 09:52 AM

Source?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
LULZ.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
So Microsoft is following Apple's lead to abandon Flash support in the Metro version of IE10. It will still be supported in the Desktop version of IE10, but since Metro is painted as Microsoft's future, it means Flash will be phased out slowly. I'm quite happy and hope Adobe finally seems the writing on the wall.

Any thoughts?
You might be reading too much into this. IE 10 in Metro UI has all plugins disabled. A major reason for this is because Metro is touch-based and 99% of Flash content isn't. Also, Microsoft say that they want a clean slate experience with Metro, and things such as toolbars, extensions, and plugins get in the way.

-Q-
Sep 15, 2011, 10:49 AM

OreoCookie  (op)
Sep 15, 2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
You might be reading too much into this. IE 10 in Metro UI has all plugins disabled.
No, as far as I understand, IE10 for Metro doesn't have any plug-in support.

Edit: reading comprehension fail, sorry imitchell
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Sep 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 11:17 AM

Did you read what I wrote?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2011, 12:04 PM

Isn't the Metro Playmobile Set written with Silverlight, Microsoft's Flash competitor?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

P
Sep 15, 2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
You might be reading too much into this. IE 10 in Metro UI has all plugins disabled.
Correct, but the by FAR most commonly installed plugin is Flash. The followups are Silverlight (which MS is pretty much abandoning as a plugin, although the code can easily be ported to Win8), Windows Media and Quicktime (the functions of which are taken over by HTML5 video) and Java (which MS would have killed sooner, if someone let them). This is a strike against Flash.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2011, 12:36 PM

Do you guys know how much that Flash server piece will cost, and whether it will run on both MS and Linux/Unix servers?

If Adobe's Linux Flash version is any indication, Adobe has some serious challenges on their hand in making this system friendly to Linux hosting environments.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
"We are less than 3 Microsofts?"

P
Sep 15, 2011, 02:17 PM

The regular version, "Flash Media Streaming Server", is $995. This is not new software, it's an upgrade of something they already sold.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Metro isn't necessarily meant for slates/tablets and smart phones, it is supposed to become the default interface of desktop Windows apps. That's what I think makes this decision so interesting
I know. That doesn't mean the mobile and desktop/laptop experiences will be identical, though. If their argument is the same as Apple's (performance and battery life), that need disappears on higher powered machines.

Nevermind that, in any case, the second-most popular browser hasn't yet declared war on Flash.

Forum Links
Forum Rules