Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How to download 32 bit apps for older iOS devices

How to download 32 bit apps for older iOS devices
OreoCookie
Dec 1, 2019, 09:16 PM

I have an old iPhone 5 and an iPad 2, and I am thinking those are perfect devices for our toddler. I have reset the iPad 2 (which was originally my parents's device, but they have gotten a new one from us, and they were more than happy to part with the old device). Is there a way to download old 32 bit apps from the app store?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 1, 2019, 09:59 PM

See if this article helps.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad
Dec 1, 2019, 10:02 PM

If they are previously-purchased apps, you might be able to re-download them, But I don’t think it’s possible to get “new” apps to install. Have you tried to go into the App Store just to see what happens?

OreoCookie  (op)
Dec 23, 2019, 01:21 AM

Thanks for the post and sorry for not replying earlier.
I've tried to access the app store, and I can access it alright. But as soon as I try to download an app, it tells me that my device isn't compatible with the app. What a bummer.

My iPhone 5 is still perfectly usable … but I am still logged in as myself. And I don't want our daughter to start playing with the apps and inadvertently deleting or modifying things.

andi*pandi
Dec 23, 2019, 04:05 PM

do you still have a version of itunes that allows app control? you might have the old apps in itunes media.

OreoCookie  (op)
Dec 24, 2019, 10:21 AM

Puh, I don’t know. I have updated all my machines and since the iPad was my parents’s I don’t have a backup. Bummer. It’d be really nice to get an old version of GarageBand on there, my daughter likes music. And she’s too young for me to buy her a new(er) iPad. The option to use a free hand-me-down would have been nice here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules