Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any Makers Here?

Any Makers Here?
iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2007, 05:15 PM

So over the past year I've become extremely fond of Make Magazine (http://www.makezine.com/). Make is just a really great source of inspiration for people who want to participate in the creative side of technology. They've really made "Making" accessible to people who might not necessarily have had formal training in the various technological subjects (like me). Even though I do consider myself a self made uber-geek, I prefer to do things creative and sophisticated and I think that's what really draws people to the Maker culture.

Right now I'm working on an autonomous robot that can navigate via GPS, then maybe I'll be able to incorporate video guided obstacle avoidance.

Just curious how many of you spend time on "maker" projects, regardless of wether you subscribe to Make or not.

What kind of things are you making?

loki74
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2007, 07:32 PM

I read through a bookbinding tute that was from Make a couple of times, but I don't have anything big enough to warrant that type of binding (perfect-binding was sufficient for all of the projects I've done). I think the Make tutorial was probably the most legit for traditional bindings, but I also found a really nice tutorial that's sort of a middle ground between saddle stitch and perfect-bind... and I'm on a tangent now...

Autonomous robot? Wow, I didn't know the magazine covered that sort of stuff. What other kinds of projects do they have? I might see about getting a few issues...

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

alligator
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2007, 07:44 PM

I saw items from this magazine, but I'm the type of person who wants to make everything. I'd get so frustrated not being able to make everything that I'd go crazy. Thus, even though I really like the concept, I intentionally stay away from this magazine.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2007, 08:16 PM

No, sadly. I haven't been to the liquor store in a while.

mindwaves
Aug 21, 2007, 08:25 PM

We have a forum member here who has a blogspot website about Macs and robots/electronics. I forgot the site's name, but it was very interesting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules