Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > BBEdit 10: questions for the experts

BBEdit 10: questions for the experts
OreoCookie
Jul 30, 2011, 06:40 AM

I'm a self-professed TextMate enthusiast, but the age starts to show. BBEdit 10 has just been released and I'm trying to find out whether it is a viable alternative. Since I realize BBEdit is a very complex beast, I don't want to pass judgement too quickly, just because I was too stupid or impatient to find the function I was looking for.

So here are a few things I rely on heavily:
(0) Bundles: Does BBEdit have a bundle culture? I know there are language packs, but the beauty of TextMate is the plethora of bundles that are freely available as open source.
(1) Tab triggers: Does BBEdit have Tab Triggers? In TextMate, you can use tab triggers in a very sophisticated fashion, e. g. typing `begin + Tab' in the LaTeX bundle will insert a code snippet with begin{} and end{}. Then I type the name of the environment and this is inserted in the curly brackets after begin and end. Then I press tab again and the cursor jumps in between begin and end. This is a huge, huge, huge time saver which also avoids me making syntax mistakes. There are tons of other tab triggers that I use on a daily basis.
(2) Git integration: Does BBEdit 10 sport git integration? I could only find a mention of subversion in the manual.
(3) Projects: Instead of loading directories, on longer projects, I prefer creating my own projects. I can see the git status (changed, unchanged, etc.) of a particular file and I can add global settings (e. g. the location of a bibliography file or the TeX master). How does BBEdit stack up?
(4) Inserting references/label names: This is a TeX-specific feature: if I type \cite{, for instance and enter the name of the author, part of the title or part of the citation key, TextMate searches my bib file and inserts the proper reference. If there are several to choose from, it spits out a list. This is again a very big time-saver.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
(2) Git integration: Does BBEdit 10 sport git integration? I could only find a mention of subversion in the manual.
No, but third parties offer some features.

Forum Links
Forum Rules