Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Living in Toronto?

Living in Toronto? (Page 2)
subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Subego, did you have sex?
ALL rewards were refused.
( Last edited by subego; Feb 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2013, 11:19 AM

I can also proudly say that when that cabbie was murdered outside my front door, there were 50 people out in the street a minute later.

My kinda town.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2013, 12:31 PM

What is Chicago sex like? What positions are used?

mindwaves
Feb 16, 2013, 12:32 PM

For a US citizen, how long can one legally stay in Canada without a visa or something? Just for travel purposes.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2013, 12:35 PM

Never mind. Joke exploded about six feet off the launch pad. All hands lost.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2013, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
For a US citizen, how long can one legally stay in Canada without a visa or something? Just for travel purposes.
Two days. Then you either have to leave or consume 10 pound of poutine and a liter of maple syrup. So far, nobody has succeeded.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2013, 04:28 PM

Congrats. U of T is a great school with a good reputation, and Toronto is really a very nice city with lots to see and do. Be sure to check back in when you've got some living options....
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2013, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
6 Months
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2013, 03:36 PM

Whoops, wrong thread.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2013, 03:39 PM

For Internet may I suggest Teksavvy or Distributel over Rogers and Bell.

TekSavvy - Residential

High Speed Internet, IP Phone Service and Long Distance | Distributel

Rogers and Bell are both highway robbers. Expensive with restricted services. Teksavvy and Distributel both offer unlimited with fair use policies for less then Rogers. I would also strongly recommend Cable Internet vs ADSL in most cases.

As for phone companies I am partial to Fido (subset of Rogers) and Virgin. Again Avoid Bell and Rogers itself.

If you are renting look into the Ontario's laws regarding renting rights. There are a lot of protections for people here but you have to know about it. Scum will take advantage when they can. I can't say I know much about Ontario's laws but for a renting example in BC no landlord can ask for more then 50% one months rent for a deposit. Even if you sign a contract that says you will pay 100% deposit, no contract can change the fundamental rules of the BC tenancy act so you can deduct that over payment after the fact. I am sure Ontario has many rules that protect the renter so its good to know them all.

Really shop around for insurance products and check online. Sometimes the cheapest isnt the best way to go looking at customer reviews on the pains they went through when making claims.

Banking system is similar and simple. We only have a few national banks and a lot of credit unions that link together in the same network. After using both I sadly have to say my experiences with the major banks have been better then credit unions. And to that effect I have to rate Scotia Bank as my first choice with scene rewards if you are a movie person and TD Canada Trust as dead last for anything. If you do a lot of US banking or travel to the US, Royal Bank is a excellent option.

Debit is really just debit here but our banks are now coming out with Debit Credit Cards that can act as a credit card as well as a debit card, something Americans have had for a long time now. We use chip cards and here in Vancouver almost every where is setup for them now. I assume this the case in Toronto too.

last and most important it is a REQUIREMENT that you swear allegiance to Canada every morning and sing the Canadian National Anthem when you wake up every morning loudly and proudly or you will be arrested, tied up and tickled until pass out.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2013, 03:52 PM

Just to illustrate the east-west divide

Teksavvy are a great company with a lousy product. Because they piggy-back on the Roger and Bell network, they rely on Rogers and Bell delivering great service to them, so they can deliver great service to their customers. Yeah, right....

I tried Teksavvy twice, both times the connection was slow and unreliable. Support pretty much told me that there was nothing they could do, as the network was out of their hands. With Rogers, on the other hand, I've had rock solid service for over five years now. There is a cap, but it's so large that I don't even know what it is. The only time I ever had a 75% warning was during the Olympics when we were streaming video pretty much every day for hours.

TD Bank, what can I say. I bank with them, got my mortgage with them, do my business banking with them. Their online banking is second to none, the small business advisor we work with is friendly but useless, our mortgage advisor is awesome and has become a personal friend. So it goes.

In Ontario, first and last months rent is standard practice to secure an apartment, plus one months security deposit. Also, most landlords insist on pre-dated cheques for rent so they don't have to chase after you every month.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2013, 05:41 PM

Any one not Bell, Telus, Shaw, Rogers and Videotron is piggy backing some one elses network. Teksavvy and Distributel both piggy back off of Telus and Shaw in the West. I have not personally used Teksavvy but I have been using Distributel with limited number of problems for a year and a half.

Sounds like you have been with Rogers for the last 5 years and you are basing your experience with Teksavvy from 5 years ago. With how much technology changes you might as well be talking about dial up in the 80's because 5 years ago was life times ago in technology

(Personal Question)

If you are moving into a apartment that is $1000 a month in rent, you have to pay $3000 up front? First, month, last month and full month deposit?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2013, 06:17 PM

When we owned rental apartments we took two months, first and last, with no security deposit. I always thought three months was excessive, but i know landlords who insist on it. When tenants moved on we checked the apartments in good time to see if anything needed repairing. We always had great tenants, so never a problem.

Teksavvy, maybe because they use the Shaw network they get better service. Here in Toronto their cable service uses the Rogers network, their DSL is on Bell. Nobody I know who uses them is happy with the service. Not their fault, the providers are doing everything they can to make their life difficult.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2013, 06:39 PM

I've had some minor service issues with Distributel but not enough to cancel. I cut cable tv out of my life a long time ago. Its all Netflix, hulu, Youtube and torrents now. So I need the bandwidth.

And ouch for the 3 months rent thing. I would never be able to afford to move if I had to secure enough money for 3 months rent while I wait for a landlord to return my deposits.

Now I am assuming when its your last month your still expected to pay that last month and your at the good grace of the landlord to pay the deposit back?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2013, 07:03 PM

That depends on your relationship with the landlord. Our tenants never gave us reason to hold money back for repairs, but there are tenants from hell out there.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2013, 07:49 PM

Rental rights are definitely different across each province. BC a landlord can't change the locks on a tenant or toss them out on the street with out first getting a arbitration order. In Alberta I know landlords can change the locks. Ontario I believe has more pet rights while in BC there is no rights for Pet owners.

OreoCookie  (op)
Feb 19, 2013, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
In Ontario, first and last months rent is standard practice to secure an apartment, plus one months security deposit. Also, most landlords insist on pre-dated cheques for rent so they don't have to chase after you every month.
Just a question: can't I ask my bank to have a monthly standing order for my rent? Wouldn't that be more convenient than writing cheques each month?

The real estate market is really something, in Japan, you often pay rent in cash We have a third-world banking system where ATMs close for the night
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2013, 07:00 AM

That depends on your relationship with the landlord. Our tenants never gave us reason to hold money back for repairs, but there are tenants from hell out there.
If you're still a landlord, you might want to re-read the Residential Tenancies Act. Remember, you must provide a copy of it to each renter before they start paying your rent....

Any rent deposits can be for no more than one months' rent (or one "period" of rent if it's biweekly etc.), which must be applied to the last rental period. Interest must be paid on the deposit (which isn't an issue in these modern times, anyway).

No security deposits are allowed. You can't use any deposit to fix rental damages, without first going through the Residential Tenancies Board.

I know landlords just "do" these things, but only because most tenants don't know how to protect themselves.

(Also, of course, because some tenants that do know try to take advantage of the rules.)

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2013, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Just a question: can't I ask my bank to have a monthly standing order for my rent? Wouldn't that be more convenient than writing cheques each month?
Interesting. Here there's a (I'm pretty sure legally mandated) five-day grace period. Rent is effectively due on the 5th.

ATMs close for the night
I've heard it's that way with hospitals too.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2013, 07:07 AM

The real estate market is really something, in Japan, you often pay rent in cash We have a third-world banking system where ATMs close for the night
We accepted email money transfer on the last day of each month. Takes them a minute to send and us a minute to receive; if your landlord will do it, it's probably the best and easiest way IMO.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2013, 12:05 PM

All true, but nobody rents according to the letter of the law. There's a shortage of apartments, so most people put up with it.

We pulled out from residential letting, too much hassle, and invested in a commercial property instead. My own company is the tenant, so should there ever be a problem with the rent, I know what number to call

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
If you're still a landlord, you might want to re-read the Residential Tenancies Act. Remember, you must provide a copy of it to each renter before they start paying your rent....

Any rent deposits can be for no more than one months' rent (or one "period" of rent if it's biweekly etc.), which must be applied to the last rental period. Interest must be paid on the deposit (which isn't an issue in these modern times, anyway).

No security deposits are allowed. You can't use any deposit to fix rental damages, without first going through the Residential Tenancies Board.

I know landlords just "do" these things, but only because most tenants don't know how to protect themselves.

(Also, of course, because some tenants that do know try to take advantage of the rules.)
Hence why I asked and suggested learning the Ontario Residential Tenancies by heart before hand. I know the BC act inside and out, won every arbitration hearing I ever had too. So its good to know the rules.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2013, 03:04 PM

What you are referring to would be a Pre-Auth Debit which most companies do. But private renters of basement suites, small apartments might still do check only. The landlord I had for my last basement suite did Email Interac. The apartment complex im in now wants pre-auth payments but its a company I don't trust and I forced the issue to stick with pre written checks with them. In BC cash payments its the law a receipt is given at the time of payment and I suspect this is the case in Ontario and its good practice to have a receipt for any cash payments at time of payment. Never allow them to offer to give it to you later. Depending on landlord check, credit card, debit card, cash, pre-auth automatic payment and email payments can all be used here.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2013, 03:08 PM

You will want out of country medical insurance for at least 3 months into your stay from where you are coming from. Then you will want to register with Ontario Health for coverage if you meet the requirements which I believe you would under the class your coming here for. More information here

Ontario Health Insurance (OHIP) - Ministry Programs - Public Information - MOHLTC

Ontario Health is the basic provincial coverage, your job should offer you extended medical and drug benefits if its a decent job but those are always on top of provincial health care. And registration is a requirement for Canadian citizens not sure if it is for work visas, perm residence but I think it probably is as well. If your lucky your job will cover the Provincial portion of costs. Chances are your job will actually setup your Ontario coverage. But still wouldn't hurt to go over the site.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2013, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Hence why I asked and suggested learning the Ontario Residential Tenancies by heart before hand. I know the BC act inside and out, won every arbitration hearing I ever had too. So its good to know the rules.
The vast majority of persons will never have a problem. Somehow I'm not surprised you've managed to escalate more than one disagreement with your landlord to the level of "arbitration".

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2013, 10:20 PM

What a statement to make with out knowing anything about it. My Chinese immigrant landlord tried to evict my partner and I after learning we where a gay couple. To this day she was the only discrimination I ever faced for being gay/bi. The system worked, she lost both times badly.

OreoCookie  (op)
Feb 20, 2013, 02:51 AM

What's this e-mail money transfer you keep on referring to? I've never heard of it.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2013, 07:31 AM

What a statement to make with out knowing anything about it. My Chinese immigrant landlord tried to evict my partner and I after learning we where a gay couple. To this day she was the only discrimination I ever faced for being gay/bi. The system worked, she lost both times badly.
You talk about discrimination, yet you're finding it necessary to bring up the fact that your landlord was a Chinese immigrant?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2013, 07:34 AM

What's this e-mail money transfer you keep on referring to? I've never heard of it.
The debit card system here is called Interac. If your bank supports it, all the big banks do, you can send money via Interac to anybody with an email address or mobile phone number. It's a great alternative to cheques or cash.

Details: Interac e-Transfer - Email Money Transfer, Send Money Online

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2013, 08:13 AM

It's actually the best way to send money that I know of. It's basically like Paypal, except it's connected directly to your online banking, it goes into your bank account, and it costs about $1.50.

As you might imagine, PayPal has fast become a non-entity in Canada other than for specialized use.

OreoCookie  (op)
Feb 20, 2013, 09:36 AM

You will want out of country medical insurance for at least 3 months into your stay from where you are coming from. Then you will want to register with Ontario Health for coverage if you meet the requirements which I believe you would under the class your coming here for.
Thanks for the info. The university has sent me some info on that as well. They also mandate I enroll for a certain supplemental health insurance, they're pretty well-organized so far.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2013, 05:29 PM

You talk about discrimination, yet you're finding it necessary to bring up the fact that your landlord was a Chinese immigrant?
So the word Chinese and the word Immigrant are now taboo or are you a reverse racist, the kind that finds anything racist to the extreme to be not racist but by doing so become the biggest racist of all?

We don't need to allow people from any other country into this one if they are not going to adapt. If a American moved here and discriminated against our black people he should be shipped back to the USofA. That goes for Chinese immigrants, Aussie immigrants, American immigrants, Korean immigrants and so on.....

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2013, 05:32 PM

Email Interact is just Electronic Funds Transfer, "EFT" or Electronic Money Transfer "EMT" made simple and via a Email interface. Canada followed by the Netherlands are the biggest users of this technology adoption wise. We have had it for a very long time to so im not sure if this started in Canada.

Money culture is pretty different around the world. Most Canadians don't really handle cash any more. Most purchases are through Debit, Visa, EMT, Email but no checks for example. Amazingly the US still has a lot of usage of checks which from my perspective is so out dated and they use a LOT of cash there. I know from my European friends its mostly debit and electronic there too.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2013, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the info. The university has sent me some info on that as well. They also mandate I enroll for a certain supplemental health insurance, they're pretty well-organized so far.
Under the immigration class your coming under do you have the option to apply for citizenship down the road? Its pretty handy to have. A Canadian citizenship and passport is one of the top passports to have for world wide travel. Additionally you don't have to renounce your other citizenship and if your under 30, Canada is part of international programs like work play visas that let you work in a lot of countries around the world as a year long vacation. If your young enough to take advantage of these under citizenship its worth it.

OreoCookie  (op)
Mar 25, 2013, 12:41 AM

So I have an update, my girlfriend plans to join me in Toronto. I'm very stoked. And thanks to all Canadians for making such sensible immigration laws: we are not forced into a marriage. She'll apply for a working holiday visa, and then after a few months, she'll apply for a regular work permit as a common law spouse.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2013, 09:38 AM

Great news. Contrary to what many people believe, marriage isn't an automatic entry visa anyway.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2013, 12:36 PM

Hey Oreo,

Have you looked at whether you'll be able to continue using your old cell phone number? This is something I need to figure out myself. My brother has been telling me I might be able to get a cheap fiber Internet connection, and I'm expecting my cell service to be cheaper than what I'm paying now. If you're interested in keeping this thread open and kind of making it a Toronto tips thread, that would be very useful at least to me!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2013, 12:37 PM

Another thing I may need to look into: storage units

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2013, 04:12 PM

Another thing I may need to look into: storage units
They exist. Cheaper in the suburbs.

Phone, why would you want to keep a non-Toronto number alive? That would cost you a fortune?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2013, 04:17 PM

They exist. Cheaper in the suburbs.

Phone, why would you want to keep a non-Toronto number alive? That would cost you a fortune?

I don't want to pay any additional fees to do so, but here in the States when you go from one cell provider to another you can often bring your phone number with you. I was just wondering if this would be an option...

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2013, 08:18 PM

I don't want to pay any additional fees to do so, but here in the States when you go from one cell provider to another you can often bring your phone number with you. I was just wondering if this would be an option...
Maybe I am being dense, sleep deprivation does that to me, but wouldn't that mean that you'd be in Toronto with a US phone number? Why would you want to do that?

OreoCookie  (op)
Mar 25, 2013, 08:33 PM

Have you looked at whether you'll be able to continue using your old cell phone number?
I doubt I can keep my German or Japanese number But I'm wondering whether I can keep my Japanese iPhone. It's a 4S, I'm perfectly happy with it, but I haven't found out whether it is locked. I wanted to try and use my German SIM card, but it was too big (mini instead of micro SIM).
If you're interested in keeping this thread open and kind of making it a Toronto tips thread, that would be very useful at least to me!
Of course. I plan on posting updates every now and then.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2013, 10:45 PM

Maybe I am being dense, sleep deprivation does that to me, but wouldn't that mean that you'd be in Toronto with a US phone number? Why would you want to do that?
To assist with the transition?

It's not a big deal, just exploring options.

OreoCookie  (op)
Mar 26, 2013, 08:55 PM

I have a question regarding carriers and phone locking: I have an iPhone 4S from the Japanese carrier Softbank, and I'm very happy with it. In principle, there is no good reason for me to update other than that part of me wants the latest and greatest. However, the Japanese carriers lock their phones, and I was wondering whether it makes more sense to sell my iPhone here and get a new iPhone 5(S?) in Canada or to unlock it and use it there. On ebay, these unlocks cost €160!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2013, 05:09 AM

You can do either. Having a unlocked phone is ideal. Canadian Carriers lock you into a 3 year term for iPhones. If you unlock your iPhone 4S you can use it on any of the carriers except for those on 1700mhz like Wind or Mobilicity. Fido and Virgin give you the best options while Telus, Bell and Rogers are bloody expensive. All the other carriers like Koodo, are sub brands of the major 3. The CRT is looking into forcing new rules on the mobile phone industry so its best to avoid any contracts if you can since major changes are coming this summer. You might not need to unlock the phone btw. Rogers, Fido, and Telus lock there phones against US carriers like AT&T but not always against European carriers so people can use local sim cards when travelling. At least this had been the case. I cant say it is for the iPhones or currently. That 4S you have might work with local SIM cards but not Asian sim cards.

But selling and buying new here is not a bad option either for a iPhone 5. I would still get it form Apple direct unlocked so you can move around carriers.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2013, 11:11 AM

Rogers and Bell might be a little more expensive, but their coverage is better - much better. Especially when travelling, this can become important. Bell has excellent coverage in the more rural parts of Canada, where Rogers and others tend to drop their signal. If you're not planning on traveling much, the cheaper plans will work just fine. Fido uses the Rogers network, making it a good choice.

If you're happy with your phone, and there's an easy way to unlock, that's what I'd do. For me, there isn't enough of a difference between a 4S and a 5 to justify the cost.

OreoCookie  (op)
Aug 21, 2013, 09:32 AM

So, I've arrived in Toronto two days ago, and everything is going smoothly so far. Yesterday, I've opened a bank account, gotten my social security number, signed my second work contract, enrolled my girlfriend and me in the university's health insurance plan, did a whole bunch of other paperwork, met a few people and gotten a whole bunch of confirmations on university stationary.

Today I'll get a SIM card for my cell phone, pay my health insurance, drop off my bike for a tune-up and explore the city some more.

I'm positively surprised by the efficiency here, I did not expect that (it's been a much bigger ordeal in the US). Even border control agents are patient and friendly. In some parts of the city it looks as if buildings are growing within parks or forests. (But remember, winter is coming! )

Sealobo
Aug 25, 2013, 10:31 AM

UofT graduate here.

get yourself a reliable 4x4. Winter is coming.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2013, 06:27 PM

Right now my wife and I are waiting out the stupid CIC strike, which is holding up the processing of our permanent residency application.

I do have some questions for Canadian pertaining to things like capital gains taxes and other investment things, particularly moving our US investments north of the border. Any takers?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2013, 06:51 PM

Subego, did you have sex?
He did. With a prostitute from Toronto. It cost him $847.00 and a ride back to the clinic.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules