Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > What will the GOP do if Trump gets nominated?

What will the GOP do if Trump gets nominated? (Page 3)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2015, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
However, do you really think all his businesses are run ethically? Do you think all the crappy falling apart "luxury" hotels in Atlantic City were built on the up and up with no kickbacks, backroom deals, or handshakes? Do you think he doesn't have Hollywood connections and friends in various industries that he'd do favors for?
I don't disagree on ethics with you - Trump does not seem to be an ethical person.
But that's a different, higher standard than being law abiding.

To my knowledge, Trump has not repeatedly broken criminal law. He might be a slimy asshat, but not a criminal.

Hildabeast on the other hand has lied under oath, disclosed classified information, obstructed investigations etc... These offenses weigh much heavier than "just" unethical behavior. If you or me did what Hildabeast did, we'd be in jail for good. No doubt about it.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2015, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I don't disagree on ethics with you - Trump does not seem to be an ethical person.
But that's a different, higher standard than being law abiding.

To my knowledge, Trump has not repeatedly broken criminal law. He might be a slimy asshat, but not a criminal.

Hildabeast on the other hand has lied under oath, disclosed classified information, obstructed investigations etc... These offenses weigh much heavier than "just" unethical behavior. If you or me did what Hildabeast did, we'd be in jail for good. No doubt about it.

-t

The same way Michael Jackson, OJ Simpson, and Bill Cosby allegedly did stuff. I.e. this is your speculation, and it may very well be true, but let's not present this as actual fact.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2015, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
The same way Michael Jackson, OJ Simpson, and Bill Cosby allegedly did stuff. I.e. this is your speculation, and it may very well be true, but let's not present this as actual fact.
Wrong. The FACTS have been documented. It's just an unfortunate fact (oh the irony) that no indictments have been issued (yet).

E.g. lying under oath - this is a matter of public record.

-t

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2015, 12:12 PM

Lying about the Benghazi event being caused by a YouTube video. (all done to protect Obama's reputation before the elections).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2015, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Wrong. The FACTS have been documented. It's just an unfortunate fact (oh the irony) that no indictments have been issued (yet).

E.g. lying under oath - this is a matter of public record.

-t

Then why isn't she in jail?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2015, 12:18 PM

Its funny the way conservatives get so upset about certain things but only when democrats do them.
Hilary is the epitome of corruption but lobbyists and favours and tax breaks and kickbacks has been the whole MO of the GOP for years.

I get why conservative voters are floundering though. The reasons the various candidates are going up and down so much are straightforward. The GOP nomination race is the best example of Giant Douche Vs Shit Sandwich in history. And thats from the conservative point of view, not just the liberal one.

Looking at all the current potential options on both sides, if you want a president who is any combination of intelligent, articulate, sane and internationally respectable, you have to vote democrat;
If you don't like racism, vote Democrat;
If you can't stand lies and corruption, vote Sanders;
If you think the most qualified/experienced person should get in, vote Clinton;

You're short on compelling reasons to vote for any single GOP candidate.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2015, 12:29 PM

Hey, all. It's been a few years since I posted here. I hope everyone is doing well.

I recently read an opinion piece that discussed a Trump candidacy in the general election. The main point: Trump can win NY, or at the very least he can compete in NY like no other GOP candidate in recent memory since Reagan and force Democrats to commit more resources in NY than w/ any other GOP candidate. It's an interesting scenario.

Donald Trump Can Win New York State and All Working-Class America | TheBlaze.com

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2015, 12:38 PM

What the liberal mind is passionate about is a world filled with pity, sorrow, neediness, misfortune, poverty, suspicion, mistrust, anger, exploitation, discrimination, victimization, alienation and injustice. Those who occupy this world are ''workers,'' ''minorities,'' ''the little guy,'' ''women,'' and the ''unemployed.'' They are poor, weak, sick, wronged, cheated, oppressed, disenfranchised, exploited and victimized. They bear no responsibility for their problems. None of their agonies are attributable to faults or failings of their own: not to poor choices, bad habits, faulty judgment, wishful thinking, lack of ambition, low frustration tolerance, mental illness or defects in character. None of the victims' plight is caused by failure to plan for the future or learn from experience. Instead, the ''root causes'' of all this pain lie in faulty social conditions: poverty, disease, war, ignorance, unemployment, racial prejudice, ethnic and gender discrimination, modern technology, capitalism, globalization and imperialism. In the radical liberal mind, this suffering is inflicted on the innocent by various predators and persecutors: ''Big Business,'' ''Big Corporations,'' ''greedy capitalists, ''U.S. Imperialists,'' ''the oppressors,'' ''the rich,'' ''the wealthy,'' ''the powerful'' and ''the selfish.''

Why do modern liberals think and act as they do? The radical left’s politics and its destructive effects on our basic freedoms have provoked many to speculate on what makes these people tick.

The modern liberalism’s assaults on:
a) The freedom of adults to make good lives for themselves by cooperating with others.
b) The ability of families to raise children to be self-reliant and mutual
c) The morals, rights and laws that protect our freedoms
''Modern liberalism’s irrationality can only be understood as the product of psychopathology. So extravagant are the patterns of thinking, emoting, behaving and relating that characterize the liberal mind that its relentless protests and demands become understandable only as disorders of the psyche.'' The Liberal Mind reveals the madness of the modern liberal for what it is: a massive transference neurosis acted out in the world’s political arenas, with devastating effects on the institutions of liberty.

- Lyle H. Rossiter, Jr., M.D. ‘‘The Liberal Mind The Psychological Causes of Political Madness’’ 2006

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2015, 12:40 PM

The incompetence and politics of the Obama Admin. Lets not upset the applecart by going off the narrative.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2015, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
The incompetence and politics of the Obama Admin. Lets not upset the applecart by going off the narrative.

and way too much political power, she's American royalty.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2015, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
and way too much political power, she's American royalty.
Should Dick Cheney be in jail?

I think I know the answer to this... (and no, this is not a direct response to anything relating to Clinton)

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2015, 03:27 PM

Should Harry Truman? LBJ? Obama?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2015, 08:57 PM

45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2015, 12:17 AM

^^^^

That wasn't cool at all. The kids are off-limits. Period. Dot. End of sentence.

OAW

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2015, 06:58 AM

And nobody at the Post had the good taste to stop it initially.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
^^^^

That wasn't cool at all. The kids are off-limits. Period. Dot. End of sentence.

OAW
I'd say it's not so much kids are off limits, as kids are off limits as your punchline.

If the cartoon was Cruz dressing his kids up in monkey costumes, I'd feel differently.

That's the basic rule in off-color comedy for public consumption. The off-color part needs to lead to the punchline, not be the punchline.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2015, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'd say it's not so much kids are off limits, as kids are off limits as your punchline.

If the cartoon was Cruz dressing his kids up in monkey costumes, I'd feel differently.

That's the basic rule in off-color comedy for public consumption. The off-color part needs to lead to the punchline, not be the punchline.
I don't get the difference in this example.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2015, 02:32 PM

In one his children are humans, in the other they're not.

A non-trivial alteration of context, no?

Or am I not understanding your point?

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2015, 04:44 PM

If you were looking for things in terms of my statement WRT to off-color humor...

In my version, the punchline is Cruz dressing his children up so he can exploit them. What he dresses them as isn't the joke, it's spice. The joke is the length to which he goes to use his children for political gain (dressing them in costumes). The off-color part helps demonstrate the scale of that action.

In her version, the punchline is Cruz's children are monkeys, and as such, are exploited by him. The off-color part doesn't inform some aspect of the joke, it is the joke.

To put it another way, I'm (comically) alleging Cruz would cast his children as monkeys. This cartoonist actually casted his children as monkeys. I put in a layer between me and the off-color metaphor.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2015, 05:40 PM

And nobody at the Post had the good taste to stop it initially.
Why is it only liberals are expected to exercise taste and restraint?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2015, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Because you guys act as if you're morally superior and unimpeachable in social contexts, and as a result get mocked when you demonstrate just how backwards your priorities are in that domain. Aren't you guys all about "tolerance"?

Sorta the same reason liberals expect all conservatives to be racist, when the vast majority are not.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2015, 08:07 PM

And thats from the conservative point of view, not just the liberal one.
You wouldn't know a conservative point of view if you got smacked upside the head with one.

Looking at all the current potential options on both sides, if you want a president who is any combination of intelligent, articulate, sane and internationally respectable, you have to vote democrat;
If you don't like racism, vote Democrat;
If you can't stand lies and corruption, vote Sanders;
If you think the most qualified/experienced person should get in, vote Clinton;

You're short on compelling reasons to vote for any single GOP candidate.
Blah blah blah blah partison droll.....

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2015, 11:26 AM

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 26, 2015, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Blah blah blah blah partison droll.....
I don't think thats the word you meant to use but I notice that you don't actually have anything to refute my point, which wasn't really intended to be any kind of partisan statement but just drawing attention to the fact that all the GOP candidates are really poor this time. They weren't great last time, but new lows, scarping barrels etc etc.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2015, 02:19 PM

Paul, Kaisich, and Graham are racists?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2015, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Paul, Kaisich, and Graham are racists?
Paul who and who?

Maybe they aren't racist enough to get any traction/attention.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2015, 09:29 PM

Did your original statement refer to all GOP presidential candidates, or just the ones you hear about in other countries?

I assumed by saying "all" you meant "all".

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2015, 08:24 AM

I expect they DON'T HAVE these traits.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2015, 01:57 PM

Well I imagine this sort of thing is giving the GOP Establishment fits. But quite frankly they brought it on themselves. You can't utilize the "Southern Strategy" and play "dog-whistle" politics for decades in order to win elections and then turn around and act surprised when someone dares to directly appeal to this element of the GOP base quite unapologetically. This is the inevitable result of "feeding the beast" of right-wing extremism.

Earlier this month, former Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard and Louisiana state representative David Duke said that Donald Trump’s campaign is a net positive for those who believe in the “cultural uniqueness” of the white race and oppose the state of Israel — even though the self-presumptive GOP nominee strongly supports Israel’s right to exist.

Trump’s campaign is “positive in the fact that there’s less political correctness and people are getting the courage to speak out,” Duke said, though he acknowledged that the Donald “speaks a little more, actually a lot more radically, than I talk.”

“He’s giving voice to a lot of people — he appeals to the values and interests of the European-American majority,” Duke continued, “and that’s the underlying appeal of his popularity.” When asked if he considered Trump’s positions on minorities and Muslims to be divisive, Duke said that “the divisive factor is the overwhelming thrust of the American media, which is basically very divisive.”

He was particularly incensed by Quentin Tarantino’s “Django Unchained,” in which “the main black character says ‘kill white people’ and gets paid for it. Imagine if there was a movie on the other side of that equation!”

Duke did register some disagreement with Trump, particularly on the question of Israel. “I certainly don’t support the idea of America supporting the nation of Israel, which has committed terrorism against the United States of America, with the Lavon affair and the attack on the Liberty and the incredible treachery and the damage that was done by Israel with its spy Jonathan Pollard, who basically caused the death of hundreds of our operatives — I think, and I see this Jewish extremist, this basically Zionist, minority having enormous influence.”
Former KKK Grand Wizard says the Donald even trumps him when it comes to speaking “radically” about America’s future - Salon.com

OAW

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2015, 02:26 PM

Meh. Who cares what some KKK idiot says. Just because he claims something about Trump doesn't make it automatically true.

Just imagine this guys said this:

"Hillary Clinton’s campaign is a net positive for those who believe in the “cultural uniqueness” of the white race because her support for the Affordable Care Act, which financially hurts poor black communities."

-t

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2015, 02:49 PM

Picking the "facts" is another "Narrative tool" when screaming racist all day long.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2015, 03:11 PM

"Racism!" As always, you can easily spot the most racist people, they're the ones who can't stop talking about it. Identity politics is a blight, and the faster we destroy it, the better.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2015, 03:35 PM

Why should the stuff the KKK guy say be discounted, but not all of the stuff in this thread and the other one, whatever it was called:

http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...llduggery-2-a/

Either way it's obsession over fringy, non-representative stuff. In a country with the population of the USA, particularly given its strange political climate and idiosyncrasies (e.g. guns, freedom, fear, treatment of science, drug laws, war/foreign policy, exceptionalism, crazy long election cycles, politicians being bought by corporate interests, two party political loyalty bordering on religious commitment, etc.), you are going to find every fathomable belief imaginable. Why should we care about every little belief so long as it remains non-representative?

What makes Trump's popularity interesting is that things that some might have considered to be fringy and non-representative in the past are being given the light of day, and are not falling into obscurity.

I think ultimately they will, but they have been surprisingly resilient.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2015, 04:03 PM

Well then let's see what Trump supporters seem to think shall we?

Originally Posted by Public Policy Polling Sep 01, 2015
PPP's newest national poll finds Donald Trump just continuing to grow his lead over the GOP field. He is at 29% to 15% for Ben Carson, 9% for Jeb Bush, 8% for Carly Fiorina, 7% for Marco Rubio, 6% each for Ted Cruz and John Kasich, and 5% each for Mike Huckabee and Scott Walker. That group makes a pretty clear top 9. Rounding out the field are Chris Christie and Rick Santorum at 2%, Jim Gilmore, Rand Paul, and Rick Perry at 1%, and Lindsey Graham, Bobby Jindal, and George Pataki at less than 1%.

Our new poll finds that Trump is benefiting from a GOP electorate that thinks Barack Obama is a Muslim and was born in another country, and that immigrant children should be deported. 66% of Trump's supporters believe that Obama is a Muslim to just 12% that grant he's a Christian. 61% think Obama was not born in the United States to only 21% who accept that he was. And 63% want to amend the Constitution to eliminate birthright citizenship, to only 20% who want to keep things the way they are.

Trump's beliefs represent the consensus among the GOP electorate. 51% overall want to eliminate birthright citizenship. 54% think President Obama is a Muslim. And only 29% grant that President Obama was born in the United States. That's less than the 40% who think Canadian born Ted Cruz was born in the United States.
Trump Supporters Think Obama is A Muslim Born in Another Country - Public Policy Polling

There are more GOP voters who falsely believe that Sen. Cruz was born in the US than those who correctly believe that President Obama was born in the US. So it was a very politically cunning move when Trump jumped on the "birtherism" bandwagon. It's paying great dividends for him now! Especially given his long-history of support for Democrats. This good people is the political equivalent of what we call a "juke move" in football. Make a brazen appeal to the racist and xenophobic sentiments of elements within the GOP base and they might not pay any attention to those little things we call facts like this ...

Before Donald Trump was a front-running Republican presidential candidate, the real estate mogul believed that the nation's economy ran better when Democrats were in control and that Hillary Clinton would be a strong negotiator with foreign nations.

"In many cases, I probably identify more as Democrat," Trump told CNN's Wolf Blitzer in a 2004 interview. "It just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats than the Republicans. Now, it shouldn't be that way. But if you go back, I mean it just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats. ...But certainly we had some very good economies under Democrats, as well as Republicans. But we've had some pretty bad disaster under the Republicans."
Donald Trump: 'I probably identify more as Democrat' - CNNPolitics.com

But there's more ....

Originally Posted by Public Policy Polling Dec 08, 2015
PPP's new North Carolina poll finds Donald Trump at his highest level of support in the state yet. He's at 33% to 16% for Ted Cruz, 14% each for Ben Carson and Marco Rubio, 5% for Jeb Bush, 4% for Chris Christie, 3% for John Kasich, 2% each for Carly Fiorina, Mike Huckabee, and Rand Paul, 1% each for Lindsey Graham and Rick Santorum, and less than 1% each for Jim Gilmore and George Pataki.

When Trump led in our July North Carolina poll it was the first poll to find him leading the GOP pack anywhere in the country. Since then he's increased his support in every poll- from that 16% starting point in July he went to 24% in August, 26% in September, 31% in October, and now this 33% standing in December. Trump is also broadly popular with Republicans in the Tar Heel state- his 63/26 favorability rating puts him behind only Carson (64/23) and is improved from 52/35 on our last poll.

Trump's Islamophobia is a central feature of his appeal to his supporters:

-67% of his voters support a national database of Muslims in the United States, to only 14% opposed to it.

-62% believe his claims that thousands of Arabs cheered in New Jersey when the World Trade Center collapsed, to only 15% who don't believe that.

-51% want to see the Mosques in the country shut down, to only 16% against that.

-And only 24% of Trump supporters in the state even think Islam should be legal at all in the United States, to 44% who think it shouldn't be.

Although these ideas are certainly most commonly held by Trump supporters, they're not unique within the North Carolina GOP base:

-Overall 48% want a national database of Muslims to 33% who are opposed. Ted Cruz's (43/31) and Marco Rubio's supporters (38/36) join Trump's in their support for that idea while Carson's (34/51) are opposed.

-Overall 42% think thousands of Arabs cheered in New Jersey on 9/11 to 26% who don't think that happened. Cruz supporters (47/12) and Carson supporters narrowly (27/22) agree with Trump's that that happened while Rubio's (31/45) don't think it did.

-Overall 35% want to shut down the mosques in the United States to 33% who are opposed. Cruz supporters (41/28) again join Trump's in supporting that while Carson's (26/34) and Rubio's (29/45) are opposed.

-GOP voters as a whole (41/32) do at least think Islam should be legal in the United States. Trump's the only major candidate whose supporters are against that- Cruz's (37/30), Carson's (52/27), and Rubio's (52/16) all think Islam should be allowed.
Trump Getting Stronger in NC; Islamophobia Helps Fuel That Strength - Public Policy Polling

Originally Posted by Public Policy Polling Dec 15, 2015
PPP’s newest Iowa poll finds Donald Trump and Ted Cruz at the top of the heap with 28% and 25% respectively. Marco Rubio at 14% and Ben Carson at 10% are also in double digits with Jeb Bush at 7% the only other candidate who clears even 3%. Chris Christie, Carly Fiorina, and Mike Huckabee all hit that level with John Kasich and Rand Paul each getting 2%, Lindsey Graham and Rick Santorum each getting 1%, and Jim Gilmore and George Pataki both having literally no support.
Originally Posted by Public Policy Polling Dec 15, 2015
-78% support Trump’s call to bans Muslims from entering the United States, to only 13% who oppose it. Overall 54% of Republicans support him on that to 28% who are opposed. Supporters of Cruz (62/20) and Carson (54/25) also favor a Muslim ban while backers of Rubio (28/48) and Bush (28/49) are opposed.

-65% of Trump voters think thousands of Arabs in New Jersey cheered the collapse of the World Trade Center, to only 11% who don’t think that happened. Overall 43% of Republicans think that event occurred to 29% who don’t. Supporters of Carson (44/10) and Cruz (45/26) agree with Trump’s that it happened while those of Rubio (24/47) and Bush (12/62) say it didn’t.

-59% of Trump voters support a national database of Muslims, to 18% who are opposed. Republicans as a whole are evenly divided on that issue, 40/40. Carson supporters (42/38) join with Trump’s in wanting a Muslim database but those of Cruz (38/42), Rubio (32/48), and Bush (19/62) are all against it.

-45% of Trump voters want to shut down the mosques in the United States, to only 23% who are opposed to doing that. Overall just 27% of Republicans support that to 45% who are opposed though. Supporters of all the other major GOP candidates are opposed to shutting down mosques- it’s 32/48 with Carson backers, 25/44 with those of Cruz, 9/66 with Rubio voters, and 9/69 with Bush’s.

-Finally as long as we were at it we decided we’d ask people if they thought Japanese internment had been a good idea. Among Trump voters 48% say they support the use of internment during World War II, to only 21% who say they oppose it. Overall just 29% of Republicans support that to 39% opposed, and supporters of all the other candidates are against it- 29/33 with Cruz voters, 23/54 with Rubio’s, 12/48 with Carson’s, and 13/56 with Bush’s.
Trump Edges Cruz in Iowa; His Supporters Think Japanese Internment Was Good; Clinton Still Well Ahead of Sanders In State | Public Policy Polling

Trump supporters ... out of all major GOP presidential candidates ... express far more Islamophobia than GOP voters as a whole. Interesting. But wait it gets worse!!

Originally Posted by Public Policy Polling Dec 18, 2015
PPP's newest national Republican primary poll finds Donald Trump holding his largest lead yet in the wake of Tuesday night's debate. He's at 34% to 18% for Ted Cruz, 13% for Marco Rubio, 7% for Jeb Bush, 6% for Ben Carson, 5% for Chris Christie, 4% each for Carly Fiorina and Mike Huckabee, 2% each for John Kasich and Rand Paul, 1% each for Lindsey Graham and Rick Santorum, and less than 1% each for Jim Gilmore and George Pataki.
Originally Posted by Public Policy Polling Dec 18, 2015
A lot of people thought Donald Trump's support might come crashing down after he announced support for a ban on Muslims entering the United States last week but that position, as well as a lot of the other things Trump has said recently, is broadly popular within the GOP:

-54% support Trump's proposed Muslim ban, to only 25% who oppose it. Among Trump's own supporters there's 82/5 support for it.
Cruz voters favor it as well, 57/25. Rubio voters are pretty evenly divided on it with 39% in favor and 40% opposed, while Bush voters oppose it 21/37.

-46% support a national database of Muslims, to only 37% opposed. Trump voters support this 66/15 but voters for the other top candidates are more closely divided- Cruz's (40/41) and Rubio's (44/45) narrowly oppose it while Bush's (36/49) do by a wider spread.

-36% think thousands of Arabs in New Jersey cheered when the World Trade Center collapsed to 35% who don't think that happened. Supporters of Trump (49/24) and Cruz (47/22) both pretty firmly think that occurred while Bush (37/51) and Rubio (22/46) voters don't think it did.

-Only 28% of GOP primary voters go so far as to think mosques in the United States should be shut down to 47% opposed to that. Trump voters are on an island on that issue- they support it 45/28 but backers of Cruz (23/40) and especially Rubio (18/66) and Bush (14/68) are strongly against it.

-Supporters of most of the major GOP candidates agree with the basic premise that Islam should be legal in the United States- it's 59/21 with Cruz voters, 67/11 with Bush voters, and 77/10 with Rubio voters. Trump supporters are off on their own on that one too though- just 33% think Islam should be legal to 42% who think it should be illegal. Overall 53% of primary voters think Islam should be allowed to just 26% who don't think it should be.

To put some of these findings about real modern day issues and Trump voters in context, 41% of his voters think Japanese internment was a good thing, to 37% who don't. And 41% of his supporters would favor bombing Agrabah to only 9% who are opposed to doing that. Agrabah is the country from Aladdin. Overall 30% of Republican primary voters say they support bombing it to 13% who are opposed. We asked the same question of Democrats, and 36% of them opposed bombing Agrabah to 19% in support.
Trump Lead Grows Nationally; 41% of His Voters Want to Bomb Country From Aladdin; Clinton Maintains Big Lead | Public Policy Polling

Trump supporters have their panties in a wad so much with Islamophobia that 41% of them actually support bombing "Agrabah" .... a fictional country in the movie Aladdin!! You just can't make this sh*t up!

Now do we still think "what some KKK idiot says is so off the mark with the actual sentiments that Trump has tapped into into?

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Dec 28, 2015 at 04:18 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2015, 04:40 PM

My only hope is that Trump is exciting a very vocal minority, and that the sane side the party is just not speaking up because they don't really have a candidate they are excited about.

If the crazy vocal minority is only 15% of the overall voting population, that's still a higher number than most of us would like, but it's still going to amount to the same old collection of weird house elected congressmen and women, and establishment politicians paid for by corporations. No massive change, except maybe more of the former.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2015, 04:56 PM

That's not as bad as the Hillary supporters getting behind her to "repeal the Bill of Rights".

The invasion of the low information voter.
( Last edited by Chongo; Dec 28, 2015 at 05:07 PM. )
45/47

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2015, 05:03 PM

There are 10 or less in that video, Chongo. Polls are often pretty meaningless because of the same sample size issue (among others), a video interviewing 10 people (in a single location, to boot) is not even worth discussing.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2015, 05:20 PM

There are 10 or less in that video, Chongo. Polls are often pretty meaningless because of the same sample size issue (among others), a video interviewing 10 people (in a single location, to boot) is not even worth discussing.
The sad thing is he found anyone to get behind repealing the Bil of Rights. Here is another video of Yale students signing a petition to repeal the 1st ammendment. He got over 50 signers in one hour.

45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2015, 06:41 PM

Trump Lead Grows Nationally; 41% of His Voters Want to Bomb Country From Aladdin; Clinton Maintains Big Lead | Public Policy Polling

Trump supporters have their panties in a wad so much with Islamophobia that 41% of them actually support bombing "Agrabah" .... a fictional country in the movie Aladdin!! You just can't make this sh*t up!

Now do we still think "what some KKK idiot says is so off the mark with the actual sentiments that Trump has tapped into into?
Now where's the other half of the story? Oh, I get it, you're just here to apply spin. Typical.

Forty-four percent of Democrats said they would support allowing refugees into the country, while 27 percent opposed. The remaining 28 percent were "indifferent."

The poll results also explored what "Young Democrats," ages 18-34 and "a key constituency of President Obama, are especially eager to take in imaginary refugees" thought about the question. Two-thirds said they supported allowing in refugees from Agrabah, while 22 percent opposed.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2015, 07:02 PM

Now where's the other half of the story? Oh, I get it, you're just here to apply spin. Typical.
That's because he is a one-trick pony zero-trick, one-sided pony.

-t

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2015, 07:50 PM

Most Americans ... be they Dems or GOP ... are fairly clueless when it comes to geography. But that's not really the point now is it? Dems generally favor accepting immigrants from countries they perceive to be Muslim because they don't believe that US immigration policy should be predicated on religion. Whereas a plurality of Republicans and especially Trump supporters seem to favor bombing a country simply because they perceive it to be Muslim ... despite having no information that would indicate said country threatened let alone attacked the US. Which speaks volumes in and of itself.

OAW

PS: And don't think we didn't notice how you ignored the rest of the polling that had nothing to do with "Agrabah" and what it makes abundantly clear about Trump supporters.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2015, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
The sad thing is he found anyone to get behind repealing the Bil of Rights. Here is another video of Yale students signing a petition to repeal the 1st ammendment. He got over 50 signers in one hour.
You guys have very strange emotional reactions to these sorts of fringy weird stories. How do you find them? Do you seek them out? Why do you worry about this stuff? Right now as we speak there is some person having sex with his Christmas tree. Who cares?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2015, 03:23 AM

PS: And don't think we didn't notice how you ignored the rest of the polling that had nothing to do with "Agrabah" and what it makes abundantly clear about Trump supporters.
The hell are you talking about, it all had to do with it. You feeling okay? Did you hit your head? And *** you about being a "Trump supporter", I'd sooner write-in for Aladdin before I'd vote for him, so get your story straight. Geez.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2015, 08:22 AM

You guys have very strange emotional reactions to these sorts of fringy weird stories.
Stories illustrating the lack of brains, intelligence and knowledge are not as 'fringy' as you assume. Look all the way back to the "ObamaFone" lady.
The lefties, especially Hillary supporters are some of the most ignorant and gullible folks anywhere.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2015, 10:07 AM

The hell are you talking about, it all had to do with it. You feeling okay? Did you hit your head? And *** you about being a "Trump supporter", I'd sooner write-in for Aladdin before I'd vote for him, so get your story straight. Geez.
FTR .... I never said anything about YOU as in CTP being a Trump supporter. You've already stated that you are not. My point was about the sentiments expressed by those who ARE Trump supporters. The entire Aladdin thing was an aside. The main point was that birtherism, anti-immigration across the southern border, and anti-Muslim sentiment RUNS DEEP within this group. So the point I made about David Duke can't simply be dismissed because he's a "KKK idiot". And no it isn't about Duke individually either. It's about the very "Duke-esque" message that Trump is sending to his supporters which is finding a very receptive audience.. And no ... your response didn't address that part at all.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Dec 29, 2015 at 05:50 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2015, 12:25 PM

Stories illustrating the lack of brains, intelligence and knowledge are not as 'fringy' as you assume. Look all the way back to the "ObamaFone" lady.
The lefties, especially Hillary supporters are some of the most ignorant and gullible folks anywhere.
The polls surrounding Trump's platform that OAW posted are troubling too, but as depressing as these stats and these anecdotes/videos/stories are, they are still (thankfully) a minority, and there will always be people doing and saying weird stuff. Whatever floats your boat as far as a conversation for a thread, I guess, but I don't see why it's worth getting worked up over.

For the record though, I sometimes question your intellect given your religious-like devotion to political party badly in need of a makeover CTP represents his ideas as his own, which I think is a good idea. Why tether yourself to a sinking ship?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 4, 2016, 11:15 AM

6 months? The Left has been splitting for >10 years, the Socialists simply haven't had a candidate until now.
So that's a yes? Can I get an example of this 10 year split-in-the-making?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2016, 01:14 PM

The polls surrounding Trump's platform that OAW posted are troubling too, but as depressing as these stats and these anecdotes/videos/stories are, they are still (thankfully) a minority, and there will always be people doing and saying weird stuff. Whatever floats your boat as far as a conversation for a thread, I guess, but I don't see why it's worth getting worked up over.

For the record though, I sometimes question your intellect given your religious-like devotion to political party badly in need of a makeover CTP represents his ideas as his own, which I think is a good idea. Why tether yourself to a sinking ship?
You get an "F" for reading comprehension. I am NOT a Republican. I am a constitutional conservative.
I am more disappointed at the lack of clear thought from those on the left. The assumptions, pop science BS and lies repeated over and over makes me sick. Gun control is a prime example of the left not understanding the issues and having NOTHING to offer. They can't seem to get their little baseball sized heads around the problem of how to MAKE CRIMINALS OBEY THEY LAWS. The Law abiding citizens do follow the laws, but how do you keep guns out of the hands of criminals, wack jobs, and terrorists?? UNTIL you have a real solution STFU. More words typed on a piece of paper is nothing but a feel good gesture from the hand wringers on the left. Pathetic.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2016, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
So that's a yes? Can I get an example of this 10 year split-in-the-making?
Barry-****ing-Sanders

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2016, 02:34 PM

Bernie, not Barry.
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules