Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > A mike for an iPad Pro & MacBook Pro

A mike for an iPad Pro & MacBook Pro
OreoCookie
May 9, 2016, 12:57 AM

So one of my wife's hobbies is singing, and she said she wanted a way to record herself with an iPad — and perhaps a MacBook Pro. She found this set by PreSonus online. I was searching a bit and found this mike. Apart from the headphones (which are probably not good anyway), does the set offer any obvious advantages over a USB mike?

Just from a practical perspective, it seems easier to run just a single cable from the mike to the iPad or Mac, and be done with it, but perhaps I'm missing something. Of course, I'm open for suggestions and advice.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2016, 01:31 PM

Mics react differenly to different voices. The mic you would have given Barry White is probably going to be different than the one which is best for your wife.

That's the downside to the all in one. Since the preamp and the analog-digital converter are in the same unit, you can never use another mic with it. Ideally, if she gets into it, she's going to want to experiment.

Apogee makes good stuff, though... and they play very well with Macs.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
May 9, 2016, 02:35 PM

Blue has announced that most of their Mics are compatible with the Apple camera adapter.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2016, 03:13 PM

If experimenting would be the kind of thing she'd enjoy, see if you can find audio people... they really like loaning stuff out.

You've already found one here... so PM me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules