Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What Linux distro to use for scientific computing?

What Linux distro to use for scientific computing?
OreoCookie
Jul 11, 2016, 01:31 AM

For work I will dip my toes into simulations. My collaborators recommended me to use COMSOL which seems to be the Microsoft Office in that niche. I got an “old” Xeon workstation fitted with two Sandybridge EP CPUs, and was wondering what the “best” Linux distro is out there. I've used FreeBSD in the past and am quite command line-savvy. But I haven't kept up with the Linux ecosystem. One distro that comes up a lot is CentOS. Any others I should be aware of?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2016, 06:58 AM

most the time, i pick a distro that the software i'm going to be using recommends...the one they develop on or have software install guides for. so, i start with the doc on the software page first to determine that. 99% of the time, its CentOS or Ubuntu for the things I use. i prefer CentOS and will look for software that uses that first.

as a full time OS X machine user, I keep VMware Fusion ready with base template of CentOS: one patched with current stable release and one patched major version behind release.

Forum Links
Forum Rules