Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How to route traffic to a specific server via one of two network ports?

How to route traffic to a specific server via one of two network ports?
OreoCookie
Aug 31, 2016, 02:26 AM

I have a Mac Pro which is connected to the internet in two ways (using wired ethernet), and I need both for different purposes. Connection 1 is a “normal” connection where I am connected to the internet via a router, and I sit behind a firewall. I need this connection to print. Then I have Connection 2 which is a direct, unfettered connection to the internet (fixed IP, etc.). I need this connection to connect to a VPN server. Is there a way to tell OS X to only use Connection 2 if I want to connect to the VPN server?

PS I know that it would be easier to just change the settings in the firewall which protects Connection 1. Unfortunately, I can't, and this was the only viable solution offered to me. And yes, very soon I will put a dedicated firewall in between the wild internet and my Mac Pro.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

P
Aug 31, 2016, 03:46 AM

Sounds like you need to add a static route. The command to do that is:

sudo route -n add -net IP_of_network_segment IP_of_gateway

So if the router at Connection 2 is called 12.34.12.34, and the VPN server is called 5.6.7.8, you'd type

sudo route -n add -net 5.6.7.8 12.34.12.34

This does not persist across reboots, so you'd need to make this an autostart object if you want it to stick.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

OreoCookie  (op)
Aug 31, 2016, 06:10 AM

Ah, thanks a lot, that does what I want.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules