Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Networking Mac & PC via Airport?

Networking Mac & PC via Airport?
zencat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2004, 07:53 PM

Here's the situation.

I'm on a Mac G4 desktop running OSX with an Airport Extreme Base Station. My G4 laptop networks/connects to the internet beautifully via the Airport. I want my girlfriend's Dell (running Windows XP) to share my internet connection as well. AppleCare tells me this shouldn't be a problem as long as she has a wireless card installed (she does) and we have the WEP password (we do).

Her PC seems to read the network okay (weak signal, but it's there--new antenna is on the way), but when she tries to connect to the internet, the page doesn't load. Sometimes it says it's having trouble with the DNS server, sometimes it just errors right away.

We've exhausted tech support, my internet service provider (earthlink) won't help us unless we buy their home networking package (which Apple says we don't need) and pay an extra monthly fee�does anyone have any ideas what's wrong?

Thanks.

The Oracle
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Mt. Ararat, chillin' with Noah in the Ark's broken hull.
Nov 14, 2004, 08:02 PM

Is windows set up for dhcp and to obtain an IP automatically?

also, disable WEP and see if that helps.

All-seeing and all-knowing since 2000 B.C.

zencat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2004, 08:20 PM

Thanks...we just tried this, but when we set it up for DHCP and IP on Auto it kills it all. Same when we disable the WEP.

Could this be an issue with signal strength? I know when I move my powerbook into that space the connection gets wonky. But you'd think if this was just about signal, we would have connected at least once.

zencat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2004, 11:35 AM

Problem fixed. We had an incorrect DNS server number typed in. Doh!

Thanks all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules