Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Battery Life

MacBook Battery Life
discotronic
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 11:03 AM

I would like to see what the average battery life is before I make a decision to buy one. I have asked in a couple threads and got an answer of about 3 hours from one person.

Please post your results

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 11:47 AM

Apple says 6 hours.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 11:56 AM

But reckon that wifi cuts that down to 3.5 - seems a bit of a steep drop. With bluetooth on as well, I can't see it lasting much over 2 hours
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

discotronic  (op)
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0
Apple says 6 hours.
Where did you find this information?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
But reckon that wifi cuts that down to 3.5 - seems a bit of a steep drop. With bluetooth on as well, I can't see it lasting much over 2 hours
I don't see any reason to be so pessimistic. My 12" PowerBook lasts well over 3 hours with bluetooth and wireless on.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by discotronic
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...son_chart.html
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

discotronic  (op)
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 12:18 PM

I looked all over the site but I didn't see this chart. Thanks

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2006, 12:18 PM

Take a guess: on Apple's website!

EDIT: beaten by Stradlater!

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
I don't see any reason to be so pessimistic. My 12" PowerBook lasts well over 3 hours with bluetooth and wireless on.
Well Apple themselves state that battery life goes down to 3.5 with wifi on, so real word thats about 3 hours, and bluetooth is a real juice drinker
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2006, 12:24 PM

Wi-fi uses a lot more power than bluetooth, at least in my experience.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
May 18, 2006, 12:29 PM

with airport on and bluetooth off on the lowest screen setting (useless in a bright room or outside, but most of the time i'm in dimly lit rooms) i get ~5:15 of battery life on my 12" ibook g4

masugu
Senior User
May 18, 2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by hookem2oo7
with airport on and bluetooth off on the lowest screen setting (useless in a bright room or outside, but most of the time i'm in dimly lit rooms) i get ~5:15 of battery life on my 12" ibook g4
Thats great....but where you Need your battery life is on a plane. Not in your room - near power outlets. Unless you live in a Cabin with no electricity like Ted Kazinsky did -in whiich case you would not be using a computer

discotronic  (op)
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by masugu
Thats great....but where you Need your battery life is on a plane. Not in your room - near power outlets. Unless you live in a Cabin with no electricity like Ted Kazinsky did -in whiich case you would not be using a computer
Guess you've never been to a meeting where there wasn't enough power outlets to go around. Battery life is very important in situations other than on a plane.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 01:38 PM

WiFi always drains battery power. Don't know why you'd leave blue tooth on all the time.

zmcgill
May 18, 2006, 02:56 PM

Guess you've never been to a meeting where there wasn't enough power outlets to go around.
Or a place where it's simply inconvenient to lug around a power supply/cord, like a college campus, or dorm hall, or large four story house. If you're so concerned about planes, you can buy adaptors for them.

dannyillusion
Forum Regular
May 19, 2006, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
Or a place where it's simply inconvenient to lug around a power supply/cord, like a college campus, or dorm hall, or large four story house. If you're so concerned about planes, you can buy adaptors for them.
But the real problem is using it in the bathroom... I hate it when I run out of battery while taking a dump!! I reach for the power adapter, look around for a socket... nothing... darn...
Minimum of 10hrs of battery life should be a human right!!
I'm writing a petition for the UN as we speak!!!!

On second thoughts... 24hrs should be the minimum...
DI

craigb6
May 19, 2006, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by dannyillusion
But the real problem is using it in the bathroom... I hate it when I run out of battery while taking a dump!! I reach for the power adapter, look around for a socket... nothing... darn...
Minimum of 10hrs of battery life should be a human right!!
I'm writing a petition for the UN as we speak!!!!

On second thoughts... 24hrs should be the minimum...
Isn't that really, really, really, really unhygienic?!?!?

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2006, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by craigb6
Umm, why? While you're sitting there, your hands do nothing they wouldn't do otherwise either. When you're done, put away the Mac, clean up, wash hands, take Mac again. Using your Mac after blowing your nose is the greater hygiene problem.

dannyillusion
Forum Regular
May 19, 2006, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by craigb6
Sure is!!! But it's my MacBook and I MacBook wherever the MacBook I want to...

**********NEWSFLASH************
Kofi just phoned me, thanked me for my comitment to the cause of world dom and said he's sending peacekeepers to Apple HQ.
**********NEWSFLASH************
DI

dannyillusion
Forum Regular
May 19, 2006, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
Umm, why? While you're sitting there, your hands do nothing they wouldn't do otherwise either. When you're done, put away the Mac, clean up, wash hands, take Mac again. Using your Mac after blowing your nose is the greater hygiene problem.
Thanks you for your support my friend. This will not be forgotten once we obtain world dom.
I agree that nose blowing is a big problem.
Will place another call to Kofi.
DI

masugu
Senior User
May 19, 2006, 12:49 PM

Guess you've never been to a meeting where there wasn't enough power outlets to go around. Battery life is very important in situations other than on a plane.

Did not meant to say Planes were the only place

Umm. I actually have been to meetings w/ few outlets.

This is an interesting predicament tho...Unless you are presenting, using a laptop in a meeting is sorta rude / disctracting. But I know we all do it.

pbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2006, 01:09 PM

I watched Under Siege 2 (run time 100 minutes) and still had about over 2 hours left according to the batter meter. This was with wireless on and screen brightness set to the lowest bar. The battery life on the MacBook is quite a bit better than the TiBook it replaced.
PB G4/1g/1G/60G/SD

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by dannyillusion
Thanks you for your support my friend. This will not be forgotten once we obtain world dom.
I agree that nose blowing is a big problem.
Will place another call to Kofi.
Give him my best regards.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 19, 2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by pbook
I watched Under Siege 2 (run time 100 minutes) and still had about over 2 hours left according to the batter meter. This was with wireless on and screen brightness set to the lowest bar. The battery life on the MacBook is quite a bit better than the TiBook it replaced.
Was it a DVD, or a movie file on the hard drive?

amazing
Professional Poster
May 19, 2006, 02:33 PM

arstechnica posted a MB review, which now (after some anxiety-inducing delay) has battery figures:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macbook.ars

sadly enough, it doesn't review the wireless range. Guess that's another thing the reviewer forgot...

the battery life results are interesting--and at least the reviewer was savvy enough to post a variety of battery scenarios, for example figures with wireless and bluetooth off, screen at half brightness.

pbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Was it a DVD, or a movie file on the hard drive?
DVD
PB G4/1g/1G/60G/SD

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 19, 2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by pbook
DVD
impressive

masugu
Senior User
May 19, 2006, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by amazing
arstechnica posted a MB review, which now (after some anxiety-inducing delay) has battery figures:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macbook.ars

sadly enough, it doesn't review the wireless range. Guess that's another thing the reviewer forgot...

the battery life results are interesting--and at least the reviewer was savvy enough to post a variety of battery scenarios, for example figures with wireless and bluetooth off, screen at half brightness.
One of the most comprehensive reviews I have seen so far. Build quite a case for pciking one up. Just don't know if I should wait for Core 2 Duo or not. AAAARGH
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2006, 06:24 PM

That's not bad, apple always overrates there battery life, but 4 to 5 hours websurfing and I'm happy.
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

amazing
Professional Poster
May 19, 2006, 08:03 PM

Patience rewards the cautious: Every day, more considered reports emerge on the MB.

For example, Peter Cohen has a very good opinion on 3D games and the MB, along with the gaming clincher in the last sentence. If you're going to be salivating over these games, the MB is not for you:

"Already some games are being released that implicitly exclude the Mac mini, and by extension, the MacBook, from their supported system requirements. Aspyr Media announced earlier Friday that Call of Duty 2 will ship soon—that’s one such game. Aspyr’s recently-released Quake 4 is another."
http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/game...ames/index.php

Also at Macworld.com, a "What you need to know article" about the MB--required reading!! No other review puts it as succinctly, and no other review talks about the excellent wireless range (a horizontal antenna on the left side, a vertical antenna on the right side of the display--wow!)

http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/firs...kfaq/index.php

Contrast that with the arstechnica review that doesn't even mention wireless performance, anywhere.

Forum Links
Forum Rules