Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Briefly: Samsung test drive tapped out, Sprint expands Direct 2 You

Briefly: Samsung test drive tapped out, Sprint expands Direct 2 You
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 24, 2015, 12:01 PM

Samsung has temporarily put its smartphone test drive promotion for US-based iPhone users on hold, after running out of devices. Launched on Friday, the scheme offered iPhone owners the ability to try out the Galaxy Note 5, Galaxy S6 Edge, and Galaxy S6 Edge+ with cellular service for a 30-day period at a cost of $1. Cult of Android reports the South Korean electronics producer ran out of smartphones within a few hours due to "overwhelming demand," though since the program will be run until the end of this year, Samsung asks interested parties to keep checking back for when it can make more Galaxy smartphones available.

Sprint brings Direct 2 You to several new areas in United States

Sprint has expanded the reach of its Direct 2 You home delivery and device setup service into more areas. The service is now available in the Minneapolis, Orlando, Phoenix, St. Louis, San Antonio, and Seattle areas, with carrier representatives now providing and demonstrating the ordered device to customers in 20 major metropolitan areas. As a promotional offer, Sprint is offering gifts to each customer completing a Direct 2 You appointment before the end of the year, with gifts ranging from Motorola Buds Bluetooth headphones to a Caribbean cruise, along with a second social network-based contest to win $250,000.

pairof9s
Senior User
Aug 24, 2015, 12:15 PM

I'd give it a try...they look like (finally) well-built phones. But the issue is not the hardware. Unless Android has gotten incredibly tighter with integration, lesser settings complicated, and better designed since 2 years ago, I don't see the value.

ElectroTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2015, 04:51 PM

I would 'try' one out just to make sure that when it is returned that it is used and knocks the price down to stop Samsung from continuing to rob Apple.

jdonahoe
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2015, 05:26 PM

You can't lose for a dollar. I'd do it just to use up their minutes, but now that I have unlimited calls, there's no incentive. They don't mention if there is any data plan on the 30 day trial. If there was, I'd stream as many movies as I could stand. By doing this, they are artificially inflating their unit sales. Watch for that "bump" in Samsung's next quarterly statement.

Forum Links
Forum Rules