Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Transferring software from imac to ibook

Transferring software from imac to ibook
finknottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2000, 08:45 AM

I've just bought an indigo iBook and am thrilled with it. About 9 montha ago I bought a 2nd hand iMac (just four weeks old - my first Mac !) and Photoshop was installed on it by the previous owner. I am new to macs and am wondering is there any way of copying photoshop onto my iBook? Someone told me that I could do it with a CD writer while someone else said that I could just connect the macs thru' the ethernet sockets and transfer that way, however I don't know how to copy it either way. Could someone tell me which way is best and how to go about it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Kevin.
P.S. I'm not being a scrooge by not buying photoshop it's just that I'm a student with little money and the iBook has emptied my bank a/c! (sales tax of 21% in Ireland does not help!!!)

wlonh
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2000, 09:02 AM

ok, now... let's not give this person any grief, and don't shoot me for aiding and abetting...

ok, get a cat5 ethernet CROSSOVER cable and connect it to the two Macs using their respective e'net ports

now, make sure AppleTalk is active and set to Ethernet on both Macs (see the AppleTalk control panel)

then turn on Filesharing (see Filesharing control panel and for more on setting up filesharing, see MacOS Help which will also walk you through this whole affair of setting up a network using ethernet)

then restart your Mac, and launch the Network Browser and click on the Appletalk icon and then click on the icon (computer) you wish to connect to...

finknottle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2000, 04:55 PM

wlnoh, thanks for putting your neck on the line and answering my question.......it never occured to me that it might not be ethical
Appreciate your clear answer!

[This message has been edited by finknottle (edited 09-19-2000).]

mattmarshall
Senior User
Sep 21, 2000, 03:51 PM

actually--wouldn't this be compeltely ethical?

if this person bought a computer, she bought the rights to all the software that came on it. she may not have been given the cd ot came on, but she bought it, and so has the right to use it on all of her computers. wouldn't that be right?

my guess is that the previous owner kept the cd after selling her rights to the software on the old ibook. isn't the previous owner at fault, not the new owner?

it's my understanding that you can sell your software to someone else...which happened when it was included on the ibook. but, to sell it and keep a copy would be wrong.....

hmm...sound right?

-matt

p.s. you aren't expected to pay twice for using it on two machiens, are you?

Cipher13
Sep 21, 2000, 09:42 PM

Yes, you must pay twice to use it on 2 machines (usually what the EULA states)
Crap huh...
Don't bother buying x-over cable, its like 4 times the price of normal stuff...
Get 2 lengths of normal cable and a coupler, and its much more convenient, and cheaper.
Email me and I'll tell you how to make the coupler a x-over coupler.
If you don't feel capable of doing that, or are just too lazy, just get the x-over cable then

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules