Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Value of a Housewife?

The Value of a Housewife?
REVBCO
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2007, 04:20 PM

Last week we were in a car accident (that was not our fault) and my wife broke her foot. After a few doctor visits, the conclusion is that she can not put any weight on it for 5 weeks. Her being a housewife who takes care of our two children, a 2 year old and a 5 month old, someone must be with her and the kids whenever I am not here. This is why I ask the question.

I myself am self employed and the truck that we crashed in is, or was, my work vehicle that I use to pull my trailer. So I am not able to work while the insurance company to gets it together.

I am trying to get everything situated and organized for when the insurance company calls. So far we have: Ambulance Ride, ER visits for the family, Doctors visits for my wife, New cars seats for the kids, The truck, The time lost that I could be working, and the loss of my wife not being able to take care of the kids.

If any of you have an Ideas or could point me in the right direction that would be great. I am also looking at getting a lawyer.

B

Railroader
Banned
Aug 23, 2007, 04:36 PM

The price of day care, a in-home chef, house cleaner, concierge, and launderer combined if quite valuable.

200 - day care
300 - chef
200 - part time house cleaner
150 - laundry
plus misc.
Total, I'd say $1k/week

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2007, 04:47 PM

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some feminist website out there that had some kind of breakdown on this.

Edit: Actually this may help you:
Mom's Salary Wizard

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2007, 05:05 PM

I wanted to say "priceless", but that wouldn't help in your situation

Good luck with all that.

-t

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some feminist website out there that had some kind of breakdown on this.

Edit: Actually this may help you:
Mom's Salary Wizard
I agree that it's a very valuable service for a family and would cost a good deal to get a similar service and my wife stays home with our daughter, but $138k as the median? You could hire 3 maybe 4 fulltime(24 hours a day/ live in) nannies/housekeepers for that.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2007, 05:34 PM

Have you checked eBay?

<wait....>

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
<wait....>
I'm waiting.

How much longer will it take ?

-t

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I'm waiting.

How much longer will it take ?

-t
Sexy Deviant Housewife Halloween Costumes md 3924 - (eBay item 220142128645 end time Aug-27-07 07:25:20 PDT)

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2007, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
The price of day care, a in-home chef, house cleaner, concierge, and launderer combined if quite valuable.

200 - day care
300 - chef
200 - part time house cleaner
150 - laundry
plus misc.
Total, I'd say $1k/week
Insurance won't give you much more than the cost of day care. You can cook and clean the house yourself in the evenings.

alligator
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 09:13 PM

If you do talk to a lawyer, ask for a contingency fee arrangement. You pay nothing unless you win.

Cold Warrior
Aug 23, 2007, 09:24 PM

I would talk to a lawyer to try to secure some reimbursement for the costs you described. The guilty party's insurance should take care of any medical and vehicle expenses, but they may be less willing to pay for the other stuff.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 23, 2007, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Insurance won't give you much more than the cost of day care. You can cook and clean the house yourself in the evenings.
I doubt he'll even get that. She makes no money, she gets no money.

REVBCO  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2007, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I doubt he'll even get that. She makes no money, she gets no money.
But I make money, and if I am taking care of my wife and kids then my income should be reimbursed. Right?

In Iowa you can sue for Pain and Suffering. I think thats what its called.

B.

REVBCO  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2007, 11:40 PM

I want to also say that I am not trying to go crazy and cash in on this. I just think that the things that my wife does for me and our children should have some sort of value when an accident happens.

Does anyone know if there have been any cases like this, or heard of a case like this?

B

Railroader
Banned
Aug 23, 2007, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by REVBCO View Post
But I make money, and if I am taking care of my wife and kids then my income should be reimbursed. Right?
I don't think it works like that.
Originally Posted by REVBCO View Post
In Iowa you can sue for Pain and Suffering. I think thats what its called.

B.
I think Wayne Fonts only got some money because he wasn't able to have sex or something. But he was from Michigan and he hurt his back on the job...

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2007, 12:55 AM

The wives's have a much harder job than we do and a much more important job too with regards to the children. More power too them. They are the true head of the household.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Railroader
Banned
Aug 24, 2007, 12:57 AM

Did I just go into a time-machine back to 1962?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2007, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Calimus View Post
I agree that it's a very valuable service for a family and would cost a good deal to get a similar service and my wife stays home with our daughter, but $138k as the median? You could hire 3 maybe 4 fulltime(24 hours a day/ live in) nannies/housekeepers for that.
Ah, damn. Does the thought count?

allisonnj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2007, 08:34 AM

Hello,
Well, I am well-qualified to respond...
When my son was 2 months old I went for a walk and fell and slipped on black ice and fractured my left elbow pretty badly.
I was not employed but was in grad school. My husband worked.
Our health insurance company made us file a claim against the property owner - a church - in case they wanted money back from the money they spent on my care (then why do I have insurance, but that's another question. They have yet to ask for it).
I was in a hard splint for a week and a half and couldn't carry this tiny thing and I couldn't nurse him for 3 days because of the pain in positioning, which means he had to relearn 3 days later, which also hurt.
We have no nearby family to help us, so we had to hire live-in aides from Sunday night to Friday night while my husband was at work for 2 weeks until my arm could go into a brace and I could at least do a little with one arm plus after I was in the brace my left elbow had a little bend in it.
I had to postpone taking a course that was to start during that period.
Bottom line - we got between 17-19K. I forget exactly. Our lawyer also explicitly stated my husband lost income (he gets some commissions)

Forum Links
Forum Rules