Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tattoos: Sexy, nasty, or indifferent?

View Poll Results: Are tatoos sexy?
Poll Options:
Hell yeah! Makes things more interesting. 21 votes (23.08%)
Tatoos are disgusting, skin should remain pure! 27 votes (29.67%)
Who cares? If they've got `em or not, makes no difference to me. 43 votes (47.25%)
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll
Tattoos: Sexy, nasty, or indifferent?
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2003, 06:42 PM

Personally, I find tatoos on a woman to be quite sexy, provided they're well done. My GF has 7... which is two more than myself.

How do your tastes run in regard to this?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 06:56 PM

Yep, I mostly agree to that. Except I see daily chicks with tattoos on their butt. For me tattoos is pretty nice if it's an expression of independence and not something to do just because it's trendy like in my example. But that's just me.

And well done tattoos are priceless. I still haven't bothered with taking one though. Hard to find the perfect tattoo to start with.

BTW: I voted "Who cares?", since I don't favor one thing over the other.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

JakeTuba
Aug 24, 2003, 07:07 PM

I'm not into pictures on peoples skin, but I wouldn't mind seeing some chick do herself up like Dax on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (even if it's just temp). You can call me a Trekkie whore if you want, but I think those spots running up the back and sides of the neck are sexy ... of course IMHO.

SMILE! God loves YOU! 8 )

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2003, 07:19 PM

I think there is a fine line between a sexy tattoo and a blob of black in on your skin.

I can't stand people that have them all over their bodies... ICK...

I don't mind a little something, but I'm not getting one, and I sure hope my GF doesn't get one...

Like someone else said, they were so cool that are almost trendy...

Plus you look like an ass when you turn 50 and you can't even figure out what the original tattoo was...

thirsty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2003, 07:19 PM

Love them on a womans lower back, just above the butt, but prefer they keep them off the arms or neck.

How about the woman who has her entire body tatooed due to her skin disorder. Can anyone find a photo of her. She was hot before the art, but found the ink helped her skin deal with the UV rays or something like that.

Voted : Who Cares

fhoubi
Senior User
Aug 24, 2003, 07:42 PM

Just plain ugly... all of them. My girlfriend's friend has one over her back butt. Guess it looks rather stupid when she is, gained weight and aged in her forties within 15 years, going to f.e. a swimming pool.

But that's just me. Feel happy with your tat.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Cipher13
Aug 24, 2003, 08:18 PM

Depends.

Some I really like, some I really dislike.

Tribal tatoos on their back or whatever are freakin' lame, and tell me she has no taste at all, and is out to have a tatoo for the sake of it; and they usually look crap.

Same with astrological symbols and whatnot.

Total turnoff, but more because of the suggestions regarding the bearers personality than because of any level of physical attraction or unattraction.

A nice tatoo, I like a lot. As long as it's well done. Faded looks seedy and cheap, like you could have bought the damn girl down the road.

Excessive tatoos are also a turnoff... you don't need to cover every body part with one.

It just seems like a lot of people put no thought into getting a tatoo, and just GET one. For the sake of it. To be cool. That tells me that the person is stupid, if that's what happened.

Myself? I'll have three tatoos eventually. I know exactly what they are, and where they will go, and they mean something to me. If girls don't like that, tough. Each will be invisible with clothing on, and small regardless.

Voted: who cares - if she's a nice girl, but has a lame tatoo, I'll forgive her that...

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by thirsty:
Love them on a womans lower back, just above the butt
thats what we like to call the "whore branding" because it turns out that most women that have those are whores, unless it is something really creative, like a butterfly

if i got a tatoo i would get a barcode on the inside of one wrist, and "original copy" written on the other inside of my wrist in block lettering

pooka
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
if i got a tatoo i would get a barcode on the inside of one wrist, and "original copy" written on the other inside of my wrist in block lettering
I know nine people who have that tattoo on their arm.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 09:07 PM

Damn. I've had the idea of having a bar-code tattoo for a year, thinking it was really original.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by pooka:
I know nine people who have that tattoo on their arm.
no it isnt original, that is what makes it great, it is a social commentary on how we are all just sheep, so the more people who get it the better

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 09:14 PM

...it is a social commentary on how we are all just sheep, ..
Exactly my thought as well.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2003, 09:24 PM

no it isnt original, that is what makes it great, it is a social commentary on how we are all just sheep, so the more people who get it the better
Until it becomes "the thing to do" and then you look like people that did it because it's a fad.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 09:28 PM

Nope. Don't like them at all.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 09:46 PM

I sat behind a girl in a biology class that had the ugliest fricken tattoo i've ever seen - a big ugly eagle spanning from one shoulder to the other across her upper back, and she wore a tank top every day - god that thing was hideous!! Ever since then, the thought of tattoos on girls makes me cringe.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2003, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by fhoubi:
Just plain ugly... all of them. My girlfriend's friend has one over her back butt. Guess it looks rather stupid when she is, gained weight and aged in her forties within 15 years, going to f.e. a swimming pool.

But that's just me. Feel happy with your tat.
You mean she doesn't have one on her front butt?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 12:50 AM

Heh, front butts suck.

iXavier
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2003, 01:57 AM

I like small tattoos on girls, either right on the lower back or the shoulder blade.

Really large, grotesque tattoos turn me off, though. Small and tasteful is the way to go.

Voted: Who cares - If she has it and it's sexy I'm all for it, if she has it and it isn't sexy, then I'm probably not attracted to her for other reasons, anyway.

x.

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Aug 25, 2003, 02:45 AM

Very interesting to see so many who don't like tattoos. For me they are a huge turn-off but I would have expected to be in the small minority.

Do you think it has anything to do with one's age? I mean that when I was a kid, only three types of people had tattoos: Marines, sailors, and jail birds. Times have changed. Even little boys get their ears pierced now!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2003, 05:05 AM

re: earlobe piercing
Well, if parents have their little girls get pierced earlobes at age 2, I see no reason why boys shouldn't. whether this is ethical at all (it's mutilation, after all) until the kid is 18 is a different question, of course. (I have pierced earlobes, btw - got the first done when I was 18.)

Originally posted by awaspaas:
Heh, front butts suck.
<spaceballs>
Why didn't anyone tell me my ass was so big!?
</spaceballs>

Edited to add:
It is a rare (very rare) tattoo that really looks good. And then, it's not just a question of the actual motive: I've seen tribals that look really, really good, and I've seen tribals that make their wearer look like a dysfuntional, fad-stricken basket case.

-s*
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Aug 25, 2003 at 05:15 AM. )

macrob1n
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2003, 05:18 AM

I voted for tattoo's as I like them, all the better on a girl.
I just got my first one done about 6 months ago and plan more soon. My girlfriend has some tattoo's on her back and arms.

Tattoo's are a matter of taste and many are done without much thought given to it. Cover up jobs can mask old tattoo's or the horror of home DIY jobs. I dislike pictures such as birds or skulls etc. but patterns and designs do it fot me. I would never get a name inked on me.

check it out for a pic of my leg and also my girlfriends back.here
The worst i have seen was a bloke with "the ace of spads" on his face, typo included.
The funniest is Ozzy Osbournes smiley faces on his knees that were done by someone while he was passed out drunk!

lets get some more pics posted as you cant talk about tats without showing them off.
iMac DV+, G4 800 iMac
xbox live tag - DeathBoB

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2003, 10:45 AM

I personaly don't like tattoos. Believe that it is a personal decision. I think that the smaller non conspicious ones are better. As an example Kelly Ripa has on on her ankle!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

scottiB
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2003, 10:58 AM

There's a sign at my tattoo artist's studio (I'm paraphrasing):

Those who are tattooed don't care if you're not.

[edit: added smiley]
( Last edited by scottiB; Aug 25, 2003 at 01:11 PM. )
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by sniffer:
Damn. I've had the idea of having a bar-code tattoo for a year, thinking it was really original.
Did you ever see Dark Angel (cancelled now)? They all had barcodes tatooed on their necks.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 25, 2003, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by JakeTuba:
I'm not into pictures on peoples skin, but I wouldn't mind seeing some chick do herself up like Dax on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (even if it's just temp). You can call me a Trekkie whore if you want, but I think those spots running up the back and sides of the neck are sexy ... of course IMHO.

Check out Beki B.

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 25, 2003, 11:49 AM

P.S. In English, it's spelled tattoo, with a total of three T's. (I corrected the title of the thread.)

palmberg
Senior User
Aug 25, 2003, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Check out Beki B.
Gee, thanks for that. And so close to lunch, too....

DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2003, 01:11 PM

I voted who cares, because it depends on what they are of. I have 4 tattoo's now (with designs on a 5th) all of which mean something to me.

It could go either way--redneck or cool. My last boyfriend had 3 tattoo's I think. I like them on guys. Especially on the upper arm. Yum!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2003, 01:13 PM

A well-placed, well-considered tattoo can be absolutely stunning. However, these days, "well-placed, well-considered tattoo" is almost an oxymoronic term.

Most people who get tattoos nowadays don't really consider what they're going for, including aesthetics, personal meaning, and so forth. They'll get something trendy, or just because "it looks cool" without considering why it looks cool, or most importantly, why it might not look cool. It's like body piercing in a way; for most who get it, it doesn't mean anything; it's all about the looks. And when it's all about the looks, usually the looks suffer.

Even among those who do get well-considered tattoos, many simply don't place them to greatest effect. Admittedly, this is a much harder skill to learn, but it's one worth learning. Barring extraordinary circumstances, tattoos are with a person for life; given this, they should be chosen at least as carefully as one might choose a spouse, for many of the same reasons.

And then, of course, there are tribal tattoos. Authentic tribal tattoos, worn by a person of that tribe, generally work decently well; having been refined over many generations, such tattoos are usually now placed very effectively. Pseudo-tribal tattoos, though, almost universally suck.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2003, 01:53 PM

All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by capuchin:
http://webdev.o1.com/rvb/movies/priv...PSA3_LoRes.mov

'nuff said.

A big for tattoos IMO. Most girls become unattractive for me if they have one, it turns me down. For men I don't really care, but I think most regret it wen they get older.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 03:07 PM

I don't mind people with a few tattoos (in moderation), but I don't prefer them.
I would never get a tattoo myself (I hate needles!)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 26, 2003, 01:50 AM

I love tattoos. I plan to get a lot more, aye!

tooki

JakeTuba
Aug 26, 2003, 03:00 AM

Check out Beki B.

tooki
Well, as for the tattoos, they are somewhat similar. But I prefer much simpler patterns and lines that match contours of the body rather than the wave she seems to have. On another note, that site was a little too 'A Man Called Horse' for me...

SMILE! God loves YOU! 8 )

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2003, 07:28 AM

Check out Beki B.

tooki
Wow. She's ok, but I'm more interested in Kat. Unusual... yet... strangely compelling. Very, umm, "Cell"-like.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules