Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Hillary Clinton becomes Secretary of State

Hillary Clinton becomes Secretary of State
PaperNotes
Dec 1, 2008, 02:16 PM

When a person is addicted to power, like Hillary Clinton or Peter Mandelson, they can never retire, even if they are shamed, the public doesn't like them or involved in scandal. They keep coming back for more and more, bouncing from one top political job to another.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,2022463.story
( Last edited by PaperNotes; Jan 9, 2018 at 05:52 AM. )

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2008, 11:26 AM

There is a Constitutional obstacle that has to be cleared before Hillary can become Sec. of State
HRC, State -- and the Constitution - First Read - msnbc.com
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 1:55 PM by Domenico Montanaro
Filed Under: Pete Williams, Obama WH Transition

From NBC’s Pete Williams
If President-elect Barack Obama nominates Hillary Clinton to be secretary of state, many legal scholars believe it would be the former law professor's first violation of the Constitution as president.

Why? Because the Constitution forbids the appointment of members of Congress to administration jobs if the salary of the job they'd take was raised while they were in Congress. (Article I, Section 6: "No Senator or Representative shall, during the Time for which he was elected, be appointed to any civil office ... the Emoluments whereof shall have been encreased during such time." Emoluments meaning salaries and benefits.)
Past presidents have confronted this problem repeatedly -- Taft in nominating Sen. Philander Knox to be secretary of state, Nixon in nominating Sen. William Saxbe to be attorney general, Carter in nominating Sen. Ed Muskie to be secretary of state, and Clinton in nominating Sen. Lloyd Bentsen to be treasury secretary, to name some notable examples.

The usual workaround is for Congress to lower the salary of the job back to what it was so that the nominee can take it without receiving the benefit of the pay increase that was approved while the nominee was in Congress. This maneuver, which has come to be known as "the Saxbe fix," addresses the clear intent of the Constitution, to prevent self-dealing. But many legal scholars believe it does not cure the Constitutional problem, because the language of Article I is so clearly an absolute prohibition: No senator or representative, period.

"The content of the rule here is broader than its purpose,” said Professor Michael Stokes Paulsen, a Constitutional law expert at St. Thomas School of Law in Minneapolis. “And the rule is the rule; the purpose is not the rule.”

"A 'fix' can rescind the salary,” he added, “but it cannot repeal historical events. The emoluments of the office had been increased. The rule specified in the text still controls.”

Having said all this, so what? If Obama goes ahead and nominates Clinton, it's doubtful the courts would entertain a lawsuit from an outraged citizen. Such generalized taxpayer lawsuits are disfavored by the federal courts.

A more difficult case might come if a Secretary of State Clinton issued an order that put a specific citizen at a disadvantage. That might give rise to a lawsuit that could get some traction.

Even then, though, some legal scholars believe it would be a hard case to make. Former Clinton Justice Department solicitor general Walter Dellinger says there's reason to think that the official acts of someone in a federal office are valid, even if the person's qualifications for the office are in doubt.
45/47

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2008, 11:42 AM

Isn't the Constitution just a piece of paper?

In any case, I hear that Bill is thrilled about her appointment, because now he can bang his Secretary and nobody will complain.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2008, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Isn't the Constitution just a piece of paper?

In any case, I hear that Bill is thrilled about her appointment, because now he can bang his Secretary and nobody will complain.
That hasn't happened since Chelsea was conceived
45/47

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2008, 12:30 PM

Oh yes it has, because.... I didn't want to reveal this, but you've left me with no choice...

I'm Bill Clinton.

PaperNotes  (op)
Dec 2, 2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
There is a Constitutional obstacle that has to be cleared before Hillary can become Sec. of State
HRC, State -- and the Constitution - First Read - msnbc.com
And Obama still needs to show a genuine birth certificate to prove he was born on US soil or didn't give up his citizenship in Indonesia.
( Last edited by PaperNotes; Jan 9, 2018 at 05:51 AM. )

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2008, 12:33 PM

That hasn't happened since Chelsea was conceived
I'm sure he's banged lots of secretaries since Chelsea was conceived. It's just that now he won't get in trouble over it.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2008, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
And Obama still needs to show a genuine birth certificate to prove he was born on US soil...
He has shown a genuine certificate on several occasions. He even allowed members of the press to inspect it in person after people like you insisted it was fake, you know, like the Holocaust. State director of health in Honolulu also verified the original, archived certificate of birth at the Health Department.

...or didn't give up his citizenship in Indonesia.
Why would he have to give up his citizenship in Indonesia? There's a misconception that U.S. citizens can't maintain multiple citizenships. You don't have to give up your citizenship, it's just that the U.S. won't recognize multiple citizenships. Just because the U.S. won't recognize him as also a citizen of Indonesia doesn't mean that Indonesia will stop recognizing him as a citizen.

Do you ever get your information from sources other than Conservative blogs? Even when you think you're posting support for your point of view, 99% of the time you've either completely missed the purpose of the article and its meaning, or, it's some right wing, Conservative bullcrap you managed to dig up from the far reaches of the internet.

Even now you continue to post about crap that's been consistently debunked. I have never known you to verify sources.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I have never known you to verify sources.
He's a foreign agent, trying to subvert and contaminate our precious bodily fluids. Don't let him get under your skin, literally or figuratively.

Monique
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2008, 01:44 PM

That is what happened she made a deal with Obama; when he gets elected President he will nominate her as Secretary of State as long as she does not give him any hard time during the campaign and if she campaigns for him. I understand now the threat against her. An Obama aid said that she should campaign for him if she knew what is good for her. I am so happy that she will be Secretary of State. She will outshine him when it comes to foreign policy.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2008, 01:53 PM

Hillary lost, get over it.

Tiresias
Dec 11, 2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
... you know, like the Holocaust.
Godwin's law fulfilled in less than 10 posts!

Nice work.

Monique
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 09:55 AM

isn't it interesting your God like President is not even an American born citizen and when he became one, he gave it up.

Don't you guys have something called the Constitution that says you have to be born in the U.S. and maintain your citizenship to become President.

Monique
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 09:56 AM

When a person is addicted to power, like Hillary Clinton or Peter Mandelson, they can never retire, even if they are shamed, the public doesn't like them or involved in scandal. They keep coming back for more and more, bouncing from one top political job to another.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,2022463.story
Shamed by what event in both cases?

Monique
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Hillary lost, get over it.
Maybe it is easy for you to give up your priciples and convictions but I will not give up mine.

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
isn't it interesting your God like President is not even an American born citizen and when he became one, he gave it up.

Don't you guys have something called the Constitution that says you have to be born in the U.S. and maintain your citizenship to become President.
Mark my words: The US will conquer and annex Austria only so Arnold Schwarzenegger can become the next president of the US .

Taliesin

Monique
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
Mark my words: The US will conquer and annex Austria only so Arnold Schwarzenegger can become the next president of the US .

Taliesin
I agree with you on this point.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 10:37 AM

How do we know that Hillary Clinton is an American born citizen, and doesn't have dual citizenship somewhere else?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
How do we know that Hillary Clinton is an American born citizen, and doesn't have dual citizenship somewhere else?
She was born in the PR of Illinois
45/47

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 11:47 AM

She was born in the PR of Illinois
And how do you know that?

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2008, 01:10 PM

Maybe it is easy for you to give up your priciples and convictions but I will not give up mine.
Candidates do not represent my principles or convictions... maybe because they dont have any themselves. I think OJ Simpson telling the judge "Im sorry" was more sincere than anything Hillary has ever said.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2008, 01:14 PM

A bit of information on HC.

http://www.icelandreview.com/iceland..._0_a_id=317051

She doesn't seem to know how to show other nations respect it seems. So she's the perfect choice for SoS of the USA......

"Learn to swim"

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2008, 07:32 PM

You're just upset that it only went for $1,000. I mean, seriously, the Sigrún Bergvík?

She probably gave it to a staffer, who subsequently sold it.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 17, 2008, 07:54 PM

Monique, what the bleep are you talking about? Hawaii became a state in 1959, fully two years before Obama was born. Further, it was a U.S. territory for a LONG time before that, and U.S. territory is still the U.S. Or are you talking about something else entirely, something I'm not fathoming at all...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2008, 08:30 PM

When Glenn resorts to swearing, you know you've bleeped up.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2008, 08:39 PM

I'm fairly certain that Bush was born in the US and never gave up his citizenship. Of course, I've never actually *seen* his birth certificate, so I can't be certain.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 17, 2008, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I'm fairly certain that Bush was born in the US and never gave up his citizenship. Of course, I've never actually *seen* his birth certificate, so I can't be certain.
And he was certainly born in the continental US, so who could dispute his "natural born" citizenship?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2008, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
And he was certainly born in the continental US, so who could dispute his "natural born" citizenship?
Pretty much exactly my point.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Homo Loquens View Post
Godwin's law fulfilled in less than 10 posts!

Nice work.
I didn't say anything about Hitler. Maybe I should have used the moon landing.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Cthulhu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2008, 12:59 PM

I won? Sweet!

"Why vote for the lesser of two evils, vote Cthulhu!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules