Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > GTAV

GTAV (Page 3)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2013, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
They also added the height option so you aren't constantly pushing the joystick up to see over the car as to whats coming up nearby.
About damn time.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 25, 2013, 11:29 PM

They also added the height option so you aren't constantly pushing the joystick up to see over the car as to whats coming up nearby.
Have you seen the option for the "complex" targeting sight? I think you mentioned that the standard sight was too small. Max Payne had the same option.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2013, 05:03 AM

Car in first person is acceptable. Took me a few goes for Franklin to win his street race.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Have you seen the option for the "complex" targeting sight? I think you mentioned that the standard sight was too small. Max Payne had the same option.
Changed to it immediately when going through the options.

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Car in first person is acceptable. Took me a few goes for Franklin to win his street race.
As someone who usually drives in 1st, I feel like the cam is more prone to shakiness because of the ground in this version; I can't play it with it that unstable.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2013, 11:23 AM

The Coyote Cross Country Triathlon is located on the south beach of the Alamo Sea in Sandy Shores. This triathlon is a Gruelling 30 Minute affair and only becomes avaialble after the completion of The Alamo Sea Triathlon . 100% Player stamina is advised before entering and pasuing the game numerous times to give you thumb a rest is advised.
Why would you do this? Is this Grand Theft Auto or Gran Turismo?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2013, 11:28 AM

I keep forgetting to mention – in a post Borderlands era, it's travesty that there's no way to

A. Wire money from character to character
B. Trade cars
C. Do a better job of keeping and spawning multiple cars

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2013, 12:18 PM

Awesome physics

---

Drove to the top of a mountain for this shot

Getting back down proved to be too challenging and I rolled down the side in the car and it miraculously survived and still ran.

---

Had a better shot of SA at night, but here's one of the country side.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2013, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Well we know I won't be getting the Xbox and I did recently tell you during Battlefield that the idea of having a PC to game leaves a sour taste in my mouth sooooooo that leaves the PS4. How soon I adopt the next gen is largely up in the air.
Well, considering the bad publicity this gen, I feel confident any early hardware woes will be swiftly covered by either competitor. See you at xmas!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 30, 2013, 12:35 PM

Okay, almost half-way through this bad boy. The three-character system has all but revolutionized the game for me. Arguably it may have segmented missions, but it allows for diversity within those missions while retaining a narrative.

Playing Golf is fun. Not amazing or anything, but interesting enough that I wish there was a second course and I wouldn't ind playing someone else online.

The flying has been nerved to make aircraft a little shaky. This is annoying. Basically, BF3 is easier chopper piloting. I never understand why shit like this happens.

Whoever did the audio design will probably not get the love he deserves. So many small details in the audio – break a car window, your shoes crunch on the glass. Go swimming, your shoes slurp as you walk. The sounds of the Ferrari engine is divine.

The rampages are mostly boring, and sparse enough to almost seem like a throw-in. Worse yet, they count towards your most used weapon stats, making it more like your most successful rampage stat.

Oddly, the soundtrack on this game may be the weakest since GTA III. There's a plethora of stations (maybe twice as many as IV) but with half as many songs? There's two talk radio stations, but it feels like there's only three or so programs each making it feel like you constantly heard the program thats on after playing the game for a few hours. They're also not nearly as funny as previous incarnations.

Zero known people providing voices in this game. Not a big deal but after Vice City and subsequent installments this looks to be one area Rockstar cuts costs.

There are two stock markets in the game. One controlled by in-game events, the other online and linked by console. The latter has created buy and sell-off events.

More notably, all the companies represented in the stock market have a physical presence in the game, down to having almost landmark-like locations. At least three different power stations, various big box stores, warehouses at airports and docks, etc. etc.

The game feels very diverse and hand crafted. There are very few streets you can drive down and feel like you've seen it before. I'm impressed at the amount of detail just given to homes in vinewood.

Shooting from a car sucks. There is no auto-aim, and no way to target without firing. And for confusions' sake, the button that opens the weapon wheel on foot fires weapons in car, making for lots of awkward situations.

There's a lot of clothes in this game, but I feel they put some artificial limitations on who can use what. Extremes are diverse enough that an item not being "in character" would be a stretch for reasoning.

Meanwhile, I'm underwhelmed by the hair and beard options. Perhaps more will unlock, but feels doubtful.

The diversity of the vehicle selection is laudable. Most of the vehicles from IV, plus tons of aircraft, more boats, ATV, bikes, trucks, big rigs, tow trucks... Its really impressive.

Most empty parking lots ever. Technical issue, but makes getting a ride inconspicuously a hassle.

The wanted system is showing its age and needs a major overhaul. Blowing up a car in the middle of nowhere on a mountain attracts the police (even though they can't physically get to you). Police are legalized murder men.

Did two of the collectibles this weekend. The pay off on one is so bad its insulting.

Also, check this out: The Infinite 8 mystery - GTA V - GTA Forums

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 30, 2013, 01:08 PM

Oh c'mon!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 30, 2013, 02:50 PM

This game drives you to look at stuff like this while at work.

OMG HOW ARE MY STOCKS DOING

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 30, 2013, 04:28 PM

Couple other details I forgot to add:

• You can shoot a cars gas tank and it will leak gas. If you drive, it will leave a trail behind it. This trail can be ignited by shooting it, backfire from the exhaust, or sparks from a rim.

• I walked into a clothing store and it was getting robbed

• One I have trouble believing: Shave your head or keep your face clean-shaven, and your hair and stubble will grow in over time.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2013, 12:40 PM

I have a problem with the breasts. They bounce when women are running, but they don't move when you've paid 2 strippers to put on a show.

I mean WHAT THE FCUK?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2013, 04:18 PM

Fake boobs.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2013, 06:48 AM

Even fake boobs move when touched.

Mate took 35 hours to complete the main missions (same one that went to Eurogamer). How many hours have people played?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2013, 11:18 PM

Even fake boobs move when touched.

Mate took 35 hours to complete the main missions (same one that went to Eurogamer). How many hours have people played?
So have you beaten the game? If so how hard was it compared to the other games in the series? I just completed my first heist at the Jewel store. About 20% through myself.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2013, 01:44 AM

I haven't finished it, a mate of mine did. I couldn't compare, never played any other GTA games.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 4, 2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
So have you beaten the game? If so how hard was it compared to the other games in the series? I just completed my first heist at the Jewel store. About 20% through myself.
Did you find the forced camera angles awkward while smashing the glass? The camera angle would change to something "cinematic" to smash the glass, but would then stay at that angle when it was time to move to the next case, making movement really awkward for me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 6, 2013, 07:23 PM

So I started GTA Online. I had to do this twice because somehow their servers were too chickens hit at 1 am to save my character.

I was going to give R* the benefit of th doubt, but I'm now convinced those DLC monies are real. I managed to jack a Banshee (high end car) online and when I took it to the shop I was told it was "too hot" and to purchase one legitimately online.

In essence, Grand Theft Auto told me not to steal a car. That is ****ed.

Anyway, its a big ol' grindy fest replete with max griefing. I'd like to play it, but no way I'm doing it with randoms. Hit me up if you wanna play online. I'll start a NN Crew when I get a chance.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2013, 06:18 AM

Can you hire a server a la BF3?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2013, 09:11 AM

You can make private games.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2013, 10:28 AM

Created a MacNN Crew. Made a custom logo which of course has not been saved. Lemme know if you guys want in.

Also, does no one but Bogues have a social club account? Surprised that no one else on my friend's list shows up.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2013, 11:32 AM

I have one - LaminarFlow.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2013, 11:38 AM

It doesn't appear to have your GTA account linked.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2013, 11:51 AM

No, I don't know that my PS3 is linked up yet, just Steam/PC.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2013, 10:18 AM

Posting from NeoGAF:

Last night I learned how you get engine unlocks. This game is absurd. Not participating in lots of races, or even just finishing in the top half or top 3, but having to win tens of races.

Given how absurdly they jacked the prices compared to SP having to additionally unlock items to access them is just pure sadism.

I think this game is shooting itself in the foot in terms of long-term playability. They're completely gimping it for more casual players.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2013, 03:23 PM

So things are getting a little controversial. R* has been modifying payouts for farmed missions, but ignoring the fact that there are much harder missions that give terrible payouts. And on top of that, deaths in this game have some heavy handed financial penalties. What you lose for a death can't be recovered by just a mission or robbing a store. Now imagine was an hour of ****ing around could cost you; You lose money for dying in general, but on top of that, you lose it for dying in missions.

I'm waiting for some blowback to happen about this.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2013, 01:14 PM

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2013, 02:42 PM

Come over to saint's row, you don't even need a car to win races. There are no car races. There are a few on-foot super speed races.

Heck you don't even need to use a car to play the game, cars are passe, when you have super-speed and super-jump.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 11, 2013, 11:16 AM

Grand Theft Auto Online: Half a Million GTA$ Stimulus Package this Month | Rockstar Games

Money in the Bank

Given some of the recent technical issues during these first days of GTA Online, and now that things are starting to look much smoother (touch wood!), we are planning to provide a special stimulus package for all who have played or will play Grand Theft Auto Online this month. We will be dropping a cool half a million GTA$ in the GTA Online bank accounts of all players this month, starting as early as next week.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 11, 2013, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Come over to saint's row, you don't even need a car to win races. There are no car races. There are a few on-foot super speed races.

Heck you don't even need to use a car to play the game, cars are passe, when you have super-speed and super-jump.
Grand Theft Auto without cars! Sounds fun!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2013, 11:59 AM

Grand Theft Auto without cars! Sounds fun!
LOL.

=============

Is online mostly about car races, or like Red Dead organizing a posse?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 11, 2013, 12:04 PM

LOL.

=============

Is online mostly about car races, or like Red Dead organizing a posse?
Imagine the single player game only with friends. If you go into a random lobby, however, it'll be exactly like GTA IV – constant death and griefing. You can avoid that by playing a solo session, or just constantly looking for races, deathmatches, and competitive missions.

I imagine I'll be on this weekend if you want to mess around.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2013, 12:15 PM

Don't depend on it, but I'll try to get on.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 11, 2013, 12:21 PM

I won't I'll be on anyway.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2013, 12:38 PM

Wife gone for the weekend, little one headed to the in-laws for the night. I'll be on.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2013, 09:28 AM

Well now I'm annoyed. I played online yesterday afternoon for a while then went back to single player and got to he point where Trevor moves into town. Back to online for a bit and when I went back to single player, for some reason I was all the way back at where I pull down the kingpin's house with the truck, before I do the diamond heist. Wtf

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2013, 02:35 PM

I spent the morning on single player and got back to where I was before. The advantage was that I got to make different choices on the jewel heist. If you pick the inexperienced gun guy he falls off his bike during the getaway and you get his cut. Even with the crappy hacker I think I got 19/20 cases smashed.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 14, 2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Well now I'm annoyed. I played online yesterday afternoon for a while then went back to single player and got to he point where Trevor moves into town. Back to online for a bit and when I went back to single player, for some reason I was all the way back at where I pull down the kingpin's house with the truck, before I do the diamond heist. Wtf
Did you save before going online? I always quicksave out of paranoia. After that, I'd probably have tried reloading the last save.

---

The further I get online, the more I lament if I end up doing everything again next gen. The timing of this gen sucks. Shoulda happened last year. Too many banner titles coming out now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 14, 2013, 02:12 PM

God damn, this thing has a great emblem creator. At this point I wish you could just upload stuff.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 14, 2013, 02:44 PM

Getting jealous

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 14, 2013, 03:24 PM

I made myself a golfing outfit.

You can't see the shorts that complete the look.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2013, 09:18 PM

I'm popping in here quick and not reading anything lest there be spoilers.

I liked 3 and San Andreas. Vice City and 4 just pissed me off. 3 was the best of the bunch IMO.

Will I like 5?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 15, 2013, 09:09 AM

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2013, 12:21 PM

I guess that could be fun...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 15, 2013, 01:18 PM

For fans of Drive...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 15, 2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'm popping in here quick and not reading anything lest there be spoilers.

I liked 3 and San Andreas. Vice City and 4 just pissed me off. 3 was the best of the bunch IMO.

Will I like 5?
I don't understand what the difference between VC and the other two is. You'll have to elaborate.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2013, 01:37 PM

The best aspect of 3, simply put, is there was little to no penalty for failure. This created a form of "emergent" gameplay, where you could just **** around.

VC had poorly designed missions. It took way too much effort to move forward in the storyline and therefore get better stuff to **** around with.

SA pulled back from that, but had the multiple wipeouts, which sucked. Still better than VC.

4 was basically like my life. I feel bad about blowing off social obligations to play a game which ends up being designed to make you feel bad for blowing off in-game social obligations.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 15, 2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
4 was basically like my life. I feel bad about blowing off social obligations to play a game which ends up being designed to make you feel bad for blowing off in-game social obligations.
Oh god. Yeah that was so bad it became a meme.

Suffice it to say social interactions are optional now, and there is no friendship meter to worry about.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2013, 01:56 PM

Good.

I can even handle the social interaction as a mini game, but 4 made it where playing social interactions wrong denied you to later parts of the game.

Who is this hypothetical person who is entertained by having sections of the game denied to them? It's especially irritating coming from the people who created the game which prides itself on having no limitations.

Forum Links
Forum Rules