Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Trying to wrap my head around Android

Trying to wrap my head around Android (Page 14)
subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Android works just fine out of the box. Even the Samsung flavour, or the HTC flavour, or the LG flavour. For the average user there is zero need to hack anything, to have a good experience. My wife has switched from an iPhone to a Samsung and could not be happier. Amazing screen, great camera, fantastic voice recognition... No rooting required.

If I could install a different launcher onto my iPad, I would. I I could install a different icon pack, I would. If I could install widgets, I would. Not because my iPad is broken, but because it would make my personal experience better, because I would end up with a better tool. Same deal. Much of the tinkering I do in Android is just that, tinkering for fun.

Don't forget, we're all a bunch of geeks who get into these conversations often thinking that the rest of the world cares as much as we do. That's not the case, most people don't care one way or the other.
But you have at least three nerds explicitly telling you they have no interest in tinkering with their phone.

It's not my girlfriend. I don't want to show it sweet lovin.

That's what building a PC is for.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 02:16 PM

Don't forget, we're all a bunch of geeks who get into these conversations often thinking that the rest of the world cares as much as we do. That's not the case, most people don't care one way or the other.
That people "don't care" doesn't negate qualitative differences. People "didn't care" about the differences between Macintosh and Windows 95, partly because they were told that they weren't any, beyond looks.

People not caring is no excuse for a lesser user experience, because even those who purport not to care will enjoy it more.

And I'm a geek and a techno-nerd, and I care, but I'll only tinker if I HAVE TO to get paid.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2014, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
This seems like a misrepresentation of what's being argued.

The point isn't you need to root an Android to be functional, it's you need to root to be an Apple killer.

Honestly, I'm not informed enough to know if this is true, but it's a far more reasonable argument.
I've posted this previously : everyone that I knew who had an iPhone has switched to Android, mostly Samsung.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 02:41 PM

Well, I know one person with an Android phone because they like it, though they just bought an iPad for tableting. Everyone else had one because they're cheap, and bought an iPhone once they had the scratch.

Anecdotes are pretty meaningless.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2014, 02:51 PM

Well, I know one person with an Android phone because they like it, though they just bought an iPad for tableting. Everyone else had one because they're cheap, and bought an iPhone once they had the scratch.

Anecdotes are pretty meaningless.
Not when backed up by sales figures.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 02:57 PM

Then I fail to understand why you put your argument in anecdote form.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2014, 03:13 PM

Does it matter? I was commenting on what I saw/see around me. I know don't know anyone with an iPhone. I see a few about, but not near as many as Android phones, and this seems to be backed up by sales data. Don't bite my head off because I'm telling the forums what I see around me.

I cannot see why some find Android ugly. I cannot understand why your icon is more important than your functionality. I don't get that if you're having problems with Safari, why you don't install Chrome or Firefox or Opera, or Dolphin or something else.

I am only trying to offer up my experience and limited knowledge of Android.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 03:35 PM

You have a choice between an anecdote and concrete data, and pointing out one is superior is "biting your head off"?

As for why I use Safari even though it sucks, I've explicitly stated it.

Inertia.

That's not exactly a compliment.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Yes, months. When I got my SGS4 it was already out several MONTHS and nobody cracked the Verizon bootloader yet. It wasn't until MONTHS after *THAT* that someone finally did.

And I'm sure I know more about Android than you do, tough guy.

EDIT: If it was so easy, why was there a bounty on it? Verizon Galaxy S4 Root and Bootloader Unlock Bounty Now Sits at $3000+ After Just 8 Days | Droid Life

(Answer: because you don't know what you're talking about)

EDIT2: Galaxy S4: Is there a root method/bootloader unlock method for 4.4.2 yet? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
I doubt you know much of anything, except how to be an ass, which is what I generally see from you around here, sport. "Oh, here's a phone that hasn't been unlocked yet!" Yeah, the exception that proves the rule, because unlocks for other devices are so common and readily available that such a thing seems alien now.

If you knew so much about Android, you'd know how much it's advanced past iOS and how far Apple is lagging behind, in technology and install base. So it's either blind fanboyism or ignorance, which is it?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 04:59 PM

Could you guys knock off the posturing? It's getting in the way of trying to figure out the advantages and disadvantages of Android.

I'm pretty sure that sales numbers are a useless metric for quality comparisons, though. I've been a Macintosh user for 25 years, so I've seen a fair bit of that fallacious argument.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
So there it is again "Android is awesome, if you're on a Nexus, or you've rooted whatever you've bought."

This involves research, considerable risk (yes, it's following instructions, but they have to be the RIGHT instructions, a rooted firmware may not even be available, there is a very real risk of bricking the device, and companies like Samsung, for example, will increment a non-accessible "reset counter" and deny warranty).

Basically, it's really simple: if I have to hack it, it's shit. I need a tool, not a hobby.

I'm perfectly willing to set up and configure the tools I need to make a living, but I'll gladly pay for one that does so out of the box. I realize, of course, that this is exactly where some of you run up against the limitations of iOS.

But as Phileas says, there is real hope that most of these will be fixed come iOS 8.
Rooting isn't necessary anymore, and with new unlocked flagship phones finally breaking the $300 price barrier (like the OnePlus One and Blu Life Pure XL), it's becoming less important. Bloatware is thinning out quickly, and what's still there isn't slowing down the 2+GHz quad core monsters that are shipping now. Google told/threatened manufacturers and carriers to slim things down and better optimize their code and they did.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 05:15 PM

Could you guys knock off the posturing? It's getting in the way of trying to figure out the advantages and disadvantages of Android.

I'm pretty sure that sales numbers are a useless metric for quality comparisons, though. I've been a Macintosh user for 25 years, so I've seen a fair bit of that fallacious argument.
There's a big difference between phone installed base and computers, computers don't require carriers for basic service. If/when Android starts outselling iOS 10:1 (7:1 now), and they make twice as much on an LG or Samsung over an Apple (right now it's ~75% more), which is going to be their focus to push? I'm not proclaiming a death watch, Apple has too much cash for that, but a slow, protracted relegation to a tiny niche in the smartphone market is inevitable if they don't get their shit together soon.
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 05:58 PM

Things which suck about iOS.

It iterates too slowly.
Safari is a dog.
Apple made some dumb choices, like altering how you select an entire paragraph.
The cellular data implementation is murder on your battery.
[Here's where Safari decided to reload the page because I looked at a text message]
Poorer integration with the dossier Google keeps on you.

Things which are cool about iOS.

It's pretty.
It plays well with MacOS.
With the exception of having to deal with Apple approval, it's a hugely attractive development ecosystem.
If you have a large circle of friends who use iOS, iMessage is awesome.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2014, 06:00 PM

Background : I do mail, surf, read news and play little games like chess, sudoku or card games on my phone. I occasionally use some apps for cinema, flying and a French dictionary. Guess that I'm a 'light' user. I text more than call. I don't even bother visiting forums on my phone because the experience is so frustrating (size and moving around the screen really piss me off).

OK, I'll try and list what I see as the disadvantages of Android.
Google is evil - no, I'm not joking
Not as many peripherals as Apple
Quality control of apps

My list of the disadvantages of Samsung phones with Android
Samsung is evil
TouchWiz sux.
Kies is shite (it was when I used it last)

Never used other manufacturers' phones so ....

My list of the advantages of Android.
I can buy a phone from anyone who makes Android phones
I can choose if I want vanilla Android or not
I can choose if I want to root it or not (not found the need)
I can choose launchers, icons, and interfaces that I want (although I don't)
I can get 90% of the apps that iPhone users use most
I can install software from different markets
I can buy a very large phone or a very small phone
With vanilla Android I don't wait for updates

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 06:06 PM

Size is another thing. Totally see why you'd want that choice. I don't need it because the current size is perfect for my lady hands.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
There's a big difference between phone installed base and computers, computers don't require carriers for basic service. If/when Android starts outselling iOS 10:1 (7:1 now), and they make twice as much on an LG or Samsung over an Apple (right now it's ~75% more), which is going to be their focus to push? I'm not proclaiming a death watch, Apple has too much cash for that, but a slow, protracted relegation to a tiny niche in the smartphone market is inevitable if they don't get their shit together soon.
What you're missing is that this is the primary reason Samsung is selling at all: telecoms sales droids are offered stupid incentives for every Galaxy pushed (50€ per customer at one point).

Apple doesn't do this. In fact, any reseller wanting to sell iPhones has to buy them from Apple at FULL RETAIL. And they do, because iPhone customers are valuable customers.

Android took over market share because the manufacturers (well, Samsung) stuffed the channels and lined resellers' pockets.

iPhones are still selling like crazy and dominating profit share because people want iPhones, and badly enough that Apple has zero incentive to discount them or pay silly sales commissions.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 06:25 PM

That makes me think of another Apple advantage. Far better customer service. I'm having problems with my phone, I walk out of an Apple store with a new one in 10 minutes flat.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2014, 07:17 PM

That makes me think of another Apple advantage. Far better customer service. I'm having problems with my phone, I walk out of an Apple store with a new one in 10 minutes flat.
Used to be. When the microphone died on my Nexus 5 (two months out of warranty) here's what happened:
  1. Put in a support request online.
  2. Get a call back from google within five minutes.
  3. "Hi, the microphone on my Nexus 5 died. Here's what I tried to fix it (list reset to factory etc)"
  4. "Ok, thanks for taking these steps. A new phone will be sent out to you and I have just emailed you a return authorization label for the defect one. Please wait for the new phone to arrive, it should take a maximum of two days, and then use the box to send the defect phone back. The courier will wait for you to exchange it. Is there anything else I can help you with?"
  5. "No thanks, that's fine. Bye"

Replacement phone arrived the next morning. Google customer service has improved by leaps and bounds in recent years.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2014, 07:25 PM

That people "don't care" doesn't negate qualitative differences. People "didn't care" about the differences between Macintosh and Windows 95, partly because they were told that they weren't any, beyond looks.

People not caring is no excuse for a lesser user experience, because even those who purport not to care will enjoy it more.

And I'm a geek and a techno-nerd, and I care, but I'll only tinker if I HAVE TO to get paid.
The difference in quality are, to my mind (and I appreciate that other people might disagree) far smaller than you might think they are.

Those that do exist I live with because Android makes common tasks easier to achieve than iOS does.

I do find it amusing that the debate appears to have switched from "iOS is the superior OS because it makes life easier for the user" to "iOS is superior because it's prettier".

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 07:34 PM

That's what YOU'RE turning the debate into.

It's been pointed out more than once that that is a useless point to make, as function is far deeper than surface appearance.

If you wish to argue that functionality and feel of the two systems are equivalent, then do so, but stop pretending that the discussion is reduced to one of aesthetics: We aren't arguing aesthetics; you are.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2014, 08:01 PM

Size is another thing. Totally see why you'd want that choice. I don't need it because the current size is perfect for my lady hands.
I wouldn't have bought an Android if there weren't iPhone-sized options out there (Galaxy Mini, One Mini, etc...) I see why the big screens have caught on, but I find them ridiculous.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 08:02 PM

I doubt you know much of anything, except how to be an ass, which is what I generally see from you around here, sport. "Oh, here's a phone that hasn't been unlocked yet!" Yeah, the exception that proves the rule, because unlocks for other devices are so common and readily available that such a thing seems alien now.

If you knew so much about Android, you'd know how much it's advanced past iOS and how far Apple is lagging behind, in technology and install base. So it's either blind fanboyism or ignorance, which is it?
I develop for both iOS and Android. Again, I know far more than you about the innards of both.

Tell me - how many apps do you have on each app store? I'll wait...

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2014, 10:36 PM

That's what YOU'RE turning the debate into.

It's been pointed out more than once that that is a useless point to make, as function is far deeper than surface appearance.

If you wish to argue that functionality and feel of the two systems are equivalent, then do so, but stop pretending that the discussion is reduced to one of aesthetics: We aren't arguing aesthetics; you are.
I am sorry, I was being facetious.

Some of us, myself included, keep talking about the fact that Android is superior to iOS when it comes to getting actual work done. We follow this up with concrete examples, i.e the superior way Android handles data access amongst applications, or the far better voice recognition. Or the way google drive integrates into the OS, etc, etc, giving far greater flexibility to the user. No bogus bookmark install on my Nexus to perform a simple task like saving a web page to Pocket, to give another example. I could go on.

You then retort with some nebulous statements about function going deeper than surface. If I understand you correctly, then I wholeheartedly agree. Android's function goes indeed far deeper than the surface. The price you pay for the more unified user experience in iOS, although that point is increasingly debatable, is a lack of flexibility that's frequently stifling. If there weren't workarounds available like IFTTT and then iOS would be entirely useless to me and I'd be typing this on an Android tablet.

Let me repeat myself: iOS gets in the way of my workflow. Android supports it. If that begins to be the case, then screw the pixie dust, get out of my way. What's keeping me in iOS isn't iOS, it's a number of extremely useful, extremely we'll thought out apps that don't exist in the Android ecosystem.

I am sure there are examples where the shoe is on the other foot, I.e. IOS has the better implementation, but you haven't really posted any examples yet.
( Last edited by Phileas; Jul 20, 2014 at 10:50 PM. )

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 10:44 PM

Let me say: Android gets in the way of MY workflow and I hate it. iOS supports it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2014, 01:36 AM

What you're missing is that this is the primary reason Samsung is selling at all: telecoms sales droids are offered stupid incentives for every Galaxy pushed (50€ per customer at one point).

Apple doesn't do this. In fact, any reseller wanting to sell iPhones has to buy them from Apple at FULL RETAIL. And they do, because iPhone customers are valuable customers.

Android took over market share because the manufacturers (well, Samsung) stuffed the channels and lined resellers' pockets.

iPhones are still selling like crazy and dominating profit share because people want iPhones, and badly enough that Apple has zero incentive to discount them or pay silly sales commissions.
Profit /device won't keep the ship afloat over the next 10 years, and with Android hardware quality now equaling, and in some cases surpassing them, Apple's mindshare will quickly follow. I sat in a board meeting for a major wireless carrier, top 5, and heard them working to phase out and marginalize Cupertino (because of such slim device profits). Unless they do an about-face in the next... say, 24 months, it'll be like the gorgeous girl at a dance, where all the guys are sick of her manipulative shit and they choose someone else. She has the best looks, but ends up sitting alone.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2014, 01:42 AM

I develop for both iOS and Android. Again, I know far more than you about the innards of both.

Tell me - how many apps do you have on each app store? I'll wait...
Oh my god, you know how to use canned tools with a GUI to make apps?!? My nephew (17) has 5 apps on the Google Play store, 3 being quite complex (for a mobile app). Like that means much. Back in the day, I could make pretty much anything I wanted with Visual Basic and Foxpro in no time, because pushing around other people's objects isn't much more than a trained monkey skill.
- Thomas Paine

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2014, 03:29 AM

Oh my god, you know how to use canned tools with a GUI to make apps?!? My nephew (17) has 5 apps on the Google Play store, 3 being quite complex (for a mobile app). Like that means much. Back in the day, I could make pretty much anything I wanted with Visual Basic and Foxpro in no time, because pushing around other people's objects isn't much more than a trained monkey skill.
Wow. When did you become a condescending ass?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2014, 05:15 AM

I've been wondering that too. Shaddim, this isn't like you.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2014, 06:14 AM

Wow. When did you become a condescending ass?
We've always been "at odds", and it usually starts with a cheap shot from you, generally because you can't debate an issue without personally trying to tear someone down.

If you honestly think Apple's done nothing in four years, you're more ignorant than the trolls on G+.

At least I develop for both platforms. DO YOU? I'm not talking out of my ass.
Don't play innocent with me.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2014, 06:15 AM

I've been wondering that too. Shaddim, this isn't like you.
It is when I'm called an "ignorant troll". I've seen you go on benders for less.
- Thomas Paine

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2014, 06:25 AM

Let me say: Android gets in the way of MY workflow and I hate it. iOS supports it.
Is that from a developer or end user perspective? I understand that Android is harder to develop for.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2014, 06:30 AM

Profit /device won't keep the ship afloat over the next 10 years, and with Android hardware quality now equaling, and in some cases surpassing them, Apple's mindshare will quickly follow. I sat in a board meeting for a major wireless carrier, top 5, and heard them working to phase out and marginalize Cupertino (because of such slim device profits). Unless they do an about-face in the next... say, 24 months, it'll be like the gorgeous girl at a dance, where all the guys are sick of her manipulative shit and they choose someone else. She has the best looks, but ends up sitting alone.
I can echo this exact same story for a major Canadian carrier.

There are now so many well made Android devices on the market, Apple doesn't have a monopoly on quality anymore.

Even at the lower end, if I'd be a kid, what would I rather get: a $150 Motorola that I own outright and can just pop in a pay as you go card or a $600 iPhone that ties me into a contract for three years?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2014, 07:22 AM

Newsflash: The carriers and their high street partners have been trying to marginalise Apple since Android came out.

The one part they haven't managed to copy adequately is the after sales service.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2014, 07:24 AM

In summary, iPhone 6 and iOS 8 will be very, very important releases that Apple should not **** up.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

OreoCookie
Jul 21, 2014, 07:59 AM

Please keep it civil, guys. I don't want close this thread because the topic is quite interesting, but if it devolves into a poo flinging match, you'll leave me no other choice.

Back to the topic at hand: Android!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2014, 11:17 AM

Is that from a developer or end user perspective? I understand that Android is harder to develop for.
Android's Eclipse development system is a nightmare, but I was talking about from a user's point of view.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2014, 11:27 AM

If Steve did anything for Apple, he pounded in how important it was to have good development tools.

As I said above, iOS is an extremely attractive development platform. Not just the tools, but the reach and a distribution model you can make good money off of.

Except for the approval process, it's like it's a dream.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2014, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I wouldn't have bought an Android if there weren't iPhone-sized options out there (Galaxy Mini, One Mini, etc...) I see why the big screens have caught on, but I find them ridiculous.
This initially came off as you trying to disprove my argument, rather than state the Android side.

To be 100% clear, I don't think disproving me was your intent, nor am I claiming you were somehow unclear, but it strikes me this type of misunderstanding may be the source of the acrimony in this thread.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2014, 11:48 AM

Android's Eclipse development system is a nightmare, but I was talking about from a user's point of view.
Got any examples? Because my personal experience is the exact opposite.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2014, 11:48 AM

The approval process is stupidly long. It shouldn't take a week.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2014, 11:55 AM

Got any examples? Because my personal experience is the exact opposite.
App prefs. One some apps they use the on-screen prefs menu AND the prefs key. Why both?
Why is there a Photos app an a Gallery app?
Why does my damn phone keep telling me I have a missed call from MAY? Over and over again.
This is more of an aesthetic thing, but the icons look like some bad Umbuntu hack job.
Some apps won't show you the name of the app but the name of the view you're on when you put the app in the background.
How some apps try to take over a device's functions despite telling another app to handle them. Like when I install GoSMS but the Messaging app keeps trying to repeat the same text message notifications that I already got from GoSMS.
Different volume settings for different events. On the surface this is a good idea, but when Android gets confused and screws with one, it's a pain to fix.

I think some of it comes down to how Android is VERY lax in letting apps with a crappy UI get through, whereas Apple will actually take a good look and reject an app based on a bad design. Say what you will about Apple's approval process but it really does make the *experience* of using an iDevice that much better for the user and Apple's image.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Newsflash: The carriers and their high street partners have been trying to marginalise Apple since Android came out.

The one part they haven't managed to copy adequately is the after sales service.
The difference is, now the Android phone makers have the quality to back it up.
- Thomas Paine

OreoCookie
Jul 21, 2014, 04:12 PM

The difference is, now the Android phone makers have the quality to back it up.
Which one, for instance? My brother's Xperia is alright, but feels less hefty than an iPhone. (Although I'm very jealous that he can dunk it in beer, rinse it off with water and make a phone call ) The higher-end Lumias feel equally great (but they're Windows Phone phones) and also HTC's One series (including the new M8) is very, very close. What I like about the Lumias is that there is no way you can mistake them for an iPhone.

Motorola's Moto X and the Nexus 5 feel well-built, but not quite as well as the other phones mentioned above. Samsung's flagship phones have always had a cheap feel to them -- despite their price tags. And their design is atrocious (especially with these asymmetric eyes looking at me every time I use it).

The quality story for me is rather that a Nexus 5 is good enough in terms of quality and design, and certainly much, much better than what you could get at that price point -- sort of like Honda vs. BMW in the car world.

OreoCookie
Jul 21, 2014, 04:19 PM

I sat in a board meeting for a major wireless carrier, top 5, and heard them working to phase out and marginalize Cupertino (because of such slim device profits).
I don't see how this is a good thing for the consumer: the iPhone is, as far as I can tell, still the only phone which carriers have to sell because consumers want it. Most non-Apple phones (e. g. my LG Windows Phone 7 phone or my brother's Android phones) have had carrier crapware on them which, among other things, forced you to jailbreak the phone if you wanted immediate OS updates. I'd rather that Android becomes more like iOS in this respect: be more friendly to the consumer and less friendly to the carrier.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2014, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Which one, for instance? My brother's Xperia is alright, but feels less hefty than an iPhone. (Although I'm very jealous that he can dunk it in beer, rinse it off with water and make a phone call ) The higher-end Lumias feel equally great (but they're Windows Phone phones) and also HTC's One series (including the new M8) is very, very close. What I like about the Lumias is that there is no way you can mistake them for an iPhone.

Motorola's Moto X and the Nexus 5 feel well-built, but not quite as well as the other phones mentioned above. Samsung's flagship phones have always had a cheap feel to them -- despite their price tags. And their design is atrocious (especially with these asymmetric eyes looking at me every time I use it).

The quality story for me is rather that a Nexus 5 is good enough in terms of quality and design, and certainly much, much better than what you could get at that price point -- sort of like Honda vs. BMW in the car world.
My Nexus 5, after well over a year of use, looked just as great as it did the day I bought it. No case. My iPhone 5 was dinged up, with the bare metal showing, after three weeks.

OreoCookie
Jul 21, 2014, 05:28 PM

My Nexus 5, after well over a year of use, looked just as great as it did the day I bought it. No case. My iPhone 5 was dinged up, with the bare metal showing, after three weeks.
I don't mean that in a disparaging way, just as a statement of fact. How can you expect that a phone half the price is as well-built? I take your point on the iPhone 5's cosmetic durability problem*, but that does't take away the feel of heft and quality that it has and the majority of other phones don't. Also from a design perspective, the Nexus 5 is alright, certainly it has much, much better design than the LG smartphone I've had, but judging from the pictures Xiaomi's new flagship looks much better than the Nexus 5.

* And yes, Apple's iPhone 5/5S does have a problem with paint rubbing off at the chamfered edges, it's very hard to keep it looking nice even if you baby it. I've had no such problem with my 4S which still looked almost pristine when I sold it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2014, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I don't see how this is a good thing for the consumer: the iPhone is, as far as I can tell, still the only phone which carriers have to sell because consumers want it. Most non-Apple phones (e. g. my LG Windows Phone 7 phone or my brother's Android phones) have had carrier crapware on them which, among other things, forced you to jailbreak the phone if you wanted immediate OS updates. I'd rather that Android becomes more like iOS in this respect: be more friendly to the consumer and less friendly to the carrier.
That irks me. Android's "openness" has been largely used by carriers to almost completely reverse the effects of Apple's iPhone.

Apple was the first manufacturer ever to build phones that people wanted so badly that they could give telecoms the finger with regard to customization.

Android took that power from the customers and manufacturers and gave it back to the telecoms (who are now, again, the customers, as they've always been).

Oh, unless you buy a Nexus or root whatever else you've bought - if you can.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2014, 05:37 PM

The 4/4s was a pretty silly design IMO, the glass going all the way to the edge (with a tiny rubber bumper) made the damn thing pretty shatter-prone. Also, there was glass on the back for no apparent reason, which also broke frequently. Otherwise it was a hefty little bastard, fun to take apart and put back together as well. Apple stuff is beautifully engineered no doubt about that. It took me 1/10th the time to totally disassemble my GS4 Mini and dry it out after the toilet incident. While I appreciated the easy teardown, it was noticeably more flimsy than the 4s was.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2014, 05:37 PM

My 5S looks great. No case. Bought it at launch. Dropped it a couple times.

It should be said however, I'm religious about nothing else going in my right pocket.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2014, 05:39 PM

My original Galaxy S has a near-mint screen, plastic on the back is a bit worn, and I am not very picky about what my phone rides shotgun with. That phone set in motion my taste for Androids to this day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules