Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther Locks Up - Move Mouse But Nothing Else

Panther Locks Up - Move Mouse But Nothing Else (Page 16)
gummib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2004, 06:41 AM

I'm the author of that blurb on the Azureus Kernel Panic.

I was looking into this problem for a friend, who is having the same problems indicated here. Azureus locks up the system, the mouse is active but everything else is borked.

I found an interesting entry in the crash logs that indicate the lock-up was linked to an Airport function.

This particular TiBook is 1st gen 400 Mhz G4, yet, my newer 1.5 Ghz G4 Powerbook works fine over many hours on the same network using Azureus.

The log entry itself, and forgive me because I don't have the computer in front of me, eludes to an "Airport idx key". I assume this is must be linked to the key exchange under WPA.

So, I guess I'm wondering if this lockup occurs on machines using Azureus, WPA Airport access on either a completely 802.11b, 802.11g or 802.11b+g mixed network.

Just a thought.

Jernberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2004, 08:47 AM

For me, the strange lock ups (freezes) ended completely after I:

1. installed 10.3.6 (the combo install. I repaired permissions and checked the drive first)
2. Updated Azureus bit torrent client to version 2.2.0.1B8 (which is a beta where the development team claims to have found the solution to the freezing problems).

After doing above, my set up has been running 24/7 in nearly 3 weeks. No hick ups, no freezes.

If it was 10.3.6 or the Azureus update (or a combination of both) that did the trick is unknown but I suspect it was the Azureus update.

My setyp: Dual G5 2 Ghz rev. A, 2,5 GB RAM, 20" Cinema Displ.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2004, 09:05 AM

Every time I start up the official Bittorrent-client, my computer locks up. I have 10 downloads going, and it seems the app just eats up all my cpu.

Installed Tomato instead, and now everything works just fine..

callefoss
Nov 29, 2004, 11:26 AM

"If it was 10.3.6 or the Azureus update (or a combination of both) that did the trick is unknown but I suspect it was the Azureus update."

Well I had the Kernel Panics under 10.3.6 so I guess it was the update of Azuresus that solved it for you. I am using the official mac bittorrent client now which has what I need.

Kate
Senior User
Dec 1, 2004, 06:12 PM

FYI - the freeze affected iBook has been undergone close inspection at Apple. They chose to swap the mainboard again.

Now back to the freeze-testing business to see if it freezes again and if this repair fixes the screen issues permanently this time.

Just a remark, that for me the freeze is not related to any filesharing app like mentioned above. None of my machines that had frozen with the moving mouse ever had such apps installed, while some others who have, never froze.

nilrog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2004, 03:08 AM

Seems like i'm not alone having problems with freezings

I have browsed the whole thread and it seems like there is still no definitive solution. All I know is that is isn't a hardware problem with my iBook, because with a small tweak to the 'vnodes' settings I can at least delay the freezings. It all started for me this summer after either applying the 10.3.5 upgrade or the following security update. If I reboot my iBook it is usually within hours before it freezes. But if I expand the 'vnodes' I can run it for several days...until I manually shut it down for some other reason. All this, and what I have read in this thread, leads me to believe that it is a kernel/vm problem. Unfortunately it seems like Apple have a hard time finding a solution.

Kate
Senior User
Dec 9, 2004, 06:27 PM

Update from my iBook issues:

...the freeze occured again after one week of permanent work. The iBook was on for 24h seven days a week.

This time I heard it grinding the disk, a repeated head movement noise that did not stop did draw my attention. I found it "frozen". I pressed the CD "open tray" button and the disk noise stopped and suddenly the mouse-clicks I had done while it appeared "frozen" were responded to, menus opend but were left "stuck" while the disk noise reappeared.

I think now that the freeze is not a freeze at all, but that something is bringing the kernel response down heavily by eating up all cycles and that for some reason this was this time interrupted by hardware interrupts.

This seems to point to certain kernel issues maybe even related to VM, I cannot say for sure.

I had to force start the iBook and booted from my DiskWarrior CD to see if any damage to the file system had occured and if the grinding noise would indicate a drive failure. DW reported no issues and the iBook booted happily from the disk again afterwards.
The grinding noise did not occur again. I therefore think the "freeze" occured while accessing the disk or retrieving some VM files. This happened while the iBook was left unattended. The only active apps were the Finder and Seti running.

Sort of interesting.

theaidan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2004, 01:02 AM

I've been having the freezes for months now, so I stopped using iTunes and everything ran smoothly. About a month ago the freezes stopped. I gingerly began using iTunes again, and it worked fine. I didn't dare restart my computer for fear of jinxing it. I had it running for 26 days, the longest in at least 6 months. Today, a power outage. When I restarted the computer it only took 45 minutes for it to freeze. I want to cry.

Anyway, what are the vnode tweaks?

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2004, 08:08 PM

Since I switched from azureus to tomato torrent, I have been crash free for over a month. I'm not sure that it's the software so much as what it does though.

Azureus used up quite a lot of ram as well as firefox. When I ran them side by side, the programs would use more than 600MB between them. If you check in /private/var/vm, here are the virtual memory swapfiles.

Mine go: 64MB, 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB

and I don't think I've ever seen it exceed that but what if the next file was pretty big if you use up all the others and there isn't enough space to hold it? Would that lock up the system?

I know that when you fill your hard drive so you have zero left, you get a warning that disk activity will be suspended unless you free up memory instantly by quitting apps but what if the virtual memory allocation causes the hard drive to fill up?

Have these crashes ever happened on systems that have more than enough Ram or hard drive space left. I know the G5's do but the G5 problems seem to be caused mainly by the azureus kernel panic thing.

Zim
Senior User
Dec 12, 2004, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by osxrules:
Have these crashes ever happened on systems that have more than enough Ram or hard drive space left. I know the G5's do but the G5 problems seem to be caused mainly by the azureus kernel panic thing.
I always had enough free disk space (at least 5G). There is/was some question as to whether fragmentation played an issue.

As for RAM, I suspect I was often into the several swapfiles. For other reasons I upgraded from 512M to 756M and between that, a HD upgrade, and disabling crashreporter, for whatever reason, I have not had a freeze in months, even tho I was plagued with them for several months after 10.3.0 came out.

I rarely used iTunes, and never Airport.

Mike

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2004, 12:38 PM

Well, I had one of these lock-ups for the first time in about 6 months earlier :/

Only had iTunes, Safari and WoW open and a mere 1 day uptime. Very odd, as until the restart, I had 30+ days uptime on it.

Hmm. Wondering if it is a one off...

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2004, 01:41 PM

I have been running my dp 1.8 G and dp 800 since the 10.3.6 update with no freezes. For me this once a week or so problem has vanished.

aehaas

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2004, 07:34 PM

Still getting the damn things.
Aloha

Kate
Senior User
Dec 14, 2004, 03:57 PM

old business, yesterday. Again. While it was sleeping. Now I'm hoping for the final version of 10.3.7 .....

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2004, 08:53 PM

aaarggh, just got two in the space of 5 minutes. I've been problem free for a whole month. This time using tomato torrent. It froze, I rebooted and relaunched tomato torrent and it froze again. Oh well, I guess I'm just going to have to put up with it. At least it doesn't happen very often with me.

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 04:22 AM

I wonder if apple will EVER fix this problem.
Aloha

Krypton
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by Link:
I wonder if apple will EVER fix this problem.
I think the answer is yes, but only shortly before they release the next major update. Apple don't ever seem to be concerned about the time scale of fixing these bugs.

Kate
Senior User
Dec 16, 2004, 01:12 PM

My affected iBook successfully updated to 10.3.7 this morning. I'll see if Apple cared for it this time. I hope it's a looong wait until I'm forced to post the outcome here.

AmericanPsych0
Dec 17, 2004, 12:43 AM

I had this issue for about a week where it got progressively worse, eventually to the point that it happened so often that I couldn't overlook it anymore. I used all the free software or software trials mentioned in this thread--or at least within the first few posts--all to no avail, but using the disk repair off the installation CDs worked like a charm, so I suggest that as a first course of action.
When Vin Diesel pops a can of Pringles, the fun stops after about fifteen minutes.

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 01:39 AM

For like the 3rd time, I sent an email to apple about this, except this time it goes to their feedback post.

Essentially, for every lookupd-related crash I get, they'll get an email. (Until they acknowledge or fix the problem), at least they could say a fix is on the way!

Maybe they'll eventually fix the darn thing
Aloha

Kate
Senior User
Dec 23, 2004, 02:01 AM

...for every lookupd-related crash I get, they'll get an email...
DNS issues have been admitted and cared for in 10.3.7 . Do you still have these? Mine, while beeing sporadic in the past, have gone now.

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 04:02 AM

if they were sporadic then you might still have them..

But you say they were fixed? Damn maybe I'll kill my uptime one more time and get it

Anyway, to throw a little more charcoal on the fire, you do know that the "DNS fixes" only address 10.3.5 and on with a certain security update.

I had lookupd crashes LONG before that...
( Last edited by Link; Dec 24, 2004 at 04:28 AM. )
Aloha

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2004, 07:02 PM

Dec 26 05:44:34 CompyG4 pppd[210]: No response to 4 echo-requests
Dec 26 05:44:34 CompyG4 pppd[210]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Dec 26 05:44:40 CompyG4 pppd[210]: Connection terminated.
Dec 26 05:44:40 CompyG4 pppd[210]: Connect time 4637.0 minutes.
Dec 26 05:44:40 CompyG4 pppd[210]: Sent 245956919 bytes, received 1372883993 bytes.
Dec 26 05:44:40 CompyG4 pppd[210]: PPPoE disconnecting...
Dec 26 05:44:40 CompyG4 pppd[210]: PPPoE disconnected
Dec 26 05:44:41 CompyG4 natd[412]: failed to write packet back (Network is down)
Dec 26 05:44:56 CompyG4 last message repeated 12 times
Dec 26 05:44:58 CompyG4 unlockupd[419]: killing lookupd 234
Dec 26 05:44:58 CompyG4 mach_init[2]: Server 0 in bootstrap d03 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd": exited as a result of signal 9 [pid 234]
Dec 26 05:44:59 CompyG4 natd[412]: failed to write packet back (Network is down)
Dec 26 05:45:09 CompyG4 last message repeated 19 times
Dec 26 05:45:12 CompyG4 pppd[210]: Starting link
Dec 26 05:45:12 CompyG4 pppd[210]: PPPoE connecting to service '' [access concentrator '']...
Dec 26 05:45:28 CompyG4 unlockupd[419]: killing lookupd 6631
Dec 26 05:45:28 CompyG4 mach_init[2]: Server 0 in bootstrap d03 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd": exited as a result of signal 9 [pid 6631]
Dec 26 05:45:30 CompyG4 crashdump: Unable to determine CPSProcessSerNum pid: 5351 name: aped
Dec 26 05:45:30 CompyG4 crashdump: Started writing crash report to: /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/aped.crash.log
Dec 26 05:45:31 CompyG4 crashdump: Finished writing crash report to: /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/aped.crash.log
Dec 26 05:45:42 CompyG4 kernel: nfs server automount -nsl [398]: not responding
Dec 26 05:46:13 CompyG4 kernel: nfs server automount -nsl [398]: not responding
Dec 26 05:46:18 CompyG4 pppd[210]: PPPoE connection failed, No route to host
Dec 26 05:46:20 CompyG4 natd[412]: failed to write packet back (Network is down)
Dec 26 05:46:39 CompyG4 last message repeated 6 times
Dec 26 05:46:44 CompyG4 kernel: nfs server automount -nsl [398]: not responding
Dec 26 05:46:48 CompyG4 natd[412]: failed to write packet back (Network is down)
Dec 26 05:47:01 CompyG4 pppd[210]: Starting link
Dec 26 05:47:01 CompyG4 pppd[210]: PPPoE connecting to service '' [access concentrator '']...

Lookupd crashing has NOT been fixed as of 10.3.7.

you apple.
Aloha

paully dub
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 07:48 AM

So as an update, I finally got around to erasing my hd (zeroing it actually) and reinstalling 10.3. That and a flurry of software updates and I'm back where I was, sans any haxies this time. I'm going to put the computer through hell for the next two weeks, since I have a rather big project which requires me to run : photoshop, illustrator, word, safari/firefox and itunes (for my sanity) concurrently. In the past I got freezes with this. Let's see what happens now, with a fresh OS.

Funny, azureus has never been part of the problem for me. In any case I don't really like it, and have used tomato torrent. Never had an issue with Tomato. What really killed me was iTunes running with photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver, flash etc open.

We shall see.

Adopt-A-Yankee

Kate
Senior User
Dec 27, 2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by paully dub:
What really killed me was iTunes running with photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver, flash etc open.
What type of evidence does lead you to believe that iTunes is the main cause for the freeze?

paully dub
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by Kate:
What type of evidence does lead you to believe that iTunes is the main cause for the freeze?
Because, invariably it was the only app always open, as I remember, during the freezes. I have worked for months without with zeros freezes.

Hey, just my experience, but I've had a lot of freezes with iTunes + a bunch of other apps of the photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver, word, flash, imageready, etc variety. However iTunes open with say Safari, Mail or TextEdit alone open hasn't ever frozen on me.

Anyway I was tired of not being able to listen to iTunes while working on my pb. So we'll see if the format and re-install works, as theolein suggested. I'd been meaning to clean out my hard drive anyway, so let's hope I've killed two birds with one stone.

Adopt-A-Yankee

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2004, 07:09 PM

Yeah I Just format+reinstalled last night Last time I format+reinstall, it worked beautifully until one night I screwed up and did an archive + reinstall O_o

They say DNSUpdate can cause it too
Aloha

tbag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2004, 12:54 AM

I first noticed my problem this morning when I went to purchase something in the iTunes Music Store. As soon as I went to confirm with the one click option I experienced the freezing that everyone is talking about.

I have since seen the same thing happen specifically when any window/dialog box appears with iTunes. For example: I reloaded iTunes 4.2 (downgraded from 4.7) and then cleared preferences and other iTune related files. When the dialog comes up to enter your preferences on the first run, the freeze has occured. I have since seen it in other dialog boxes.

This is what I know. I can surf all I want in Safari with no problem. I could surf ITMS. As soon as i did something that required a new dialog box (like a purchase) the freeze occurred.

At first it seemed like it was only iTunes. But then as i tried to force quit or do other things like go to a different application, each subsequent action resulted in a global freeze that required me to do a hard reboot.

I had activity monitor up a few times an watched it and the iTunes process showed up in red and with (hung) beside it.

this is the only problem I have ever had with my eMac and OS X in 2 1/2 years and it is very very frustrating. I refuse to rebuild by machine.

uuggghhh!!!

Kate
Senior User
Dec 28, 2004, 12:53 PM

Since this is a moderated forum and since I am trying to stay a civilized girl I will refrain from expressing my true feelings.

..my iBook did it again today. The freeze...you know...this again.

It was running 24/7 since I upgraded it to 10.3.7 and it hasn' run iTunes for two days.
The two running apps were the Finder and Mail.

So now I have had it.

Next the hard drive goes in the trash bin and a shiny new 60 GB will replace it. Everything else on the hardware side has been replaced. *Sigh!*

paully dub
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by Kate:
The two running apps were the Finder and Mail.
Well I think we've finally found the culprit:

The finder.

I.feel.your.pain.

I take it you've checked your hd with disk utility or disk warrior? I'm wondering if all the forced shutdowns haven't had an adverse affect on my hd. One thing I'd love to see on the new pb's/ibooks is a damn reset button.

Adopt-A-Yankee

Kate
Senior User
Dec 29, 2004, 08:32 AM

Well I think we've finally found the culprit:
The finder.
Not really. While the Finder still is a central feature of Mac OS X that leaves much to be desired in terms of speed, reliability and features, it is one app that is most likely not a main cause of the "mouse moves but everything is frozen" type of freeze.

If the Finder were, I would expect to see this issue more widespread, since the Finder is running on every Mac out there with but a few exceptions were people know how to quit it and are doing so for a reason. Since this freeze is a rare but annoying issue, I suspect a more rare and not so common combination of triggering causes.

On a sidenote I had no luck to squeeze some info out of the system what it was doing while the issue appeared. According to my experience the freeze comes while there IS some disk activity. That is not so easy to detect. It could well be a rare VM issue.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2004, 02:17 PM

I know (?) it's not the finder, I was being sarcastic. I dunno what it could be. I had three (3) kernel panics yesterday. I think my hd might be screwed up. I worked all day from my FW HD and zero problems. All sorts of messy, memory hungry apps running - iTunes included, and no freezes, kernel panics or anything. This on a messy, haxied up OS with only about 10 gb of space (out of 120). This is a bootable copy of the same OS that was freezing on my TiBook. I tried and I tried, but I could NOT repeat the freeze.

Meanwhile 3 kernel panics (my first ever btw) since zeroing the disk and reinstalling the OS. And we're talking about a clean as a baby's bottom OS. Nothing but a few apps installed. Sure iTunes just happened to be running at the time, but I'm starting to doubt that's the reason. Sure I went and did the Techtool check (everything passed), and the DiskWarrior check, repaired permissions, the disk, did a fsck for good measure.

I have to find the DW cd as it said it had trouble replacing the rebuilt directory from the FW HD. Hmm....

Adopt-A-Yankee

Kate
Senior User
Dec 29, 2004, 03:03 PM

I know (?) it's not the finder, I was being sarcastic.
I knew you were. But I answered with other people in mind who might be reading through this to find hints.

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 04:00 PM

I find that nuking and repaving will sometimes fix the issue, like I said, from July to November(?) I didn't have a single lookupd crash.

Then I hacked my system's files, tried to fix it (I really did), but no matter what I did I couldn't keep loginwindow and various other things from acting odd or just not working (I replaced almost the entire system folder at one point!), -- try not to hack your frameworks unless you really desire that, lol

Archive + Install brought the damn thing right back, so I nuked and repaved. Right now my system install is only 2 days old, if that.. No crashes of course!

(then again, lookupd was crashing about every 5-6 days)
Aloha

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2005, 12:31 PM

I've found that setting Acquitision / azureus to download a smaller number of simultaneous files (say 10) resolved the issue on my Dual G5 2GHz.

At 15 days uptime and still going...
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 10:40 PM

I had my first freeze of OS X today. It was on an old yikes g4. What caused it was my wife turning on an electric ceramic heater in the bedroom. I noticed a brief flicker of the lights in the room and instant freeze on the g4.

While my mdd867 and powerbook didn't even blink the G4 was down for the count. This makes me wonder if similar problems can occur with large spikes on a user's AC supply.

During the summer, an air conditioner can cause this and now in the winter, those nasty electric heaters can spike badly. My circuit breaker has even tripped from that heater. [ time for an electrical rewiring]

My mdd867 is on a surge protector, the yikes wasn't. It is just one more additional factor to consider and certainly not the problem that 98% are encountering.

However, until today, I have never seen OS X freeze or even seen it amongst other users. And as a sys admin, I have been exposed to OS X on a lot of rigs.

Eddie S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2005, 11:54 PM

Well, I'm just venting...

I'm using 256M Apple Ram. A clean 10.3.8 installation. Surfing with Panther. With enough surfing or random clicking on a hard disk ( I have 2), Finder will freeze (Spinning beach ball). The actual applications that are opened, still work.

I am running Top in a window and sometimes it will stay 1 stuck process. This occassional comes up when opening or closing apps, but if not, and I happen to look at it, it will come up by itself. Then I try to click on a hard disk, and it doesn't open.

Things I've tried: After installing software, fix/repair permissions. Reinstalled teh Operating System. (Returned Exlir memory for Samsung - but for the past week, I'm using Apple's). At one point, I had about 10 Quicktime movies running to test the memory over night (no freeze up), until I closed them, then about an hour into surfing with mail open, Finder Froze.

During a freeze, I am able to kill many processes, but the hung process is not one of them.

At times, I can get the force quit window to open, but force quitting a hung application at that time or relaunching Finder does nothing.

I have tried reinstalling the OS X on both drives. Original is a Maxtor 80GB; 2nd: Samsung SP1614C.

I did think that it may have been Adium, Firefox, Macromedia Suite 2004, or Photoshop Elements. I did another reinstall last night without any software and the Mac still froze up.

I did purchase Cocktail to run the cleanup scripts, that didn't help.
Before that, I did run Janitor (During the initial purchase - December 04), but that didn't help. I switched to Onyx - still didn't stop the intermittent freezes.

I tried running the hardware tests, both simple/extended, but they only run once and no problem.

I did try Processor on High, Turning off Hard drive spin down, but that didn't help.

I am using a Dlink 524 router with static IP addressing. I did have DHCP running, but figured that could be the cause. It wasn't.

I changed from Auto speed select to 100 1/2 duplex.

My latest change (get this): create a hosts file so that configd will change the search order.

I started this response with TOP, Activity Monitor, Mail, Ichat, Console, and six tabs open in Safari. I opened System Profiler to see the models of my hard disks and I got 1 stuck process.

Like I said, I clicked on my Data Hard drive, it opened but I went to Backup - Eddie - Library folder and the spinning beach ball has appeared. The first windows were in cache so...

The logs will not show anything. I look for anything about 9:45 ish, but nothing will show.

Cups Error_Log show:
E [21/Feb/2005:19:32:06 -0500] get_printer_attrs: resource name '/printers/ ' no good!
E [21/Feb/2005:19:40:52 -0500] get_printer_attrs: resource name '/printers/ ' no good!
I [21/Feb/2005:19:46:39 -0500] Listening to 7f000001:631

As before, the Dock knows that Finder needs to be relaunched since the cursor gives that as an option.
I get the spinning beach ball if I move over any non-opened windows area;
Activity Monitor Says Finder is hung.

Buz Driver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2005, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
I had my first freeze of OS X today. It was on an old yikes g4. What caused it was my wife turning on an electric ceramic heater in the bedroom. I noticed a brief flicker of the lights in the room and instant freeze on the g4.

While my mdd867 and powerbook didn't even blink the G4 was down for the count. This makes me wonder if similar problems can occur with large spikes on a user's AC supply.

During the summer, an air conditioner can cause this and now in the winter, those nasty electric heaters can spike badly. My circuit breaker has even tripped from that heater. [ time for an electrical rewiring]

My mdd867 is on a surge protector, the yikes wasn't. It is just one more additional factor to consider and certainly not the problem that 98% are encountering.

However, until today, I have never seen OS X freeze or even seen it amongst other users. And as a sys admin, I have been exposed to OS X on a lot of rigs.

I will only make you all aware of my experience that might confirm SMacTech's experience. I bought my G4 powerbook last summer in USA where I attended a summer course. I had no experience with Mac, and was looking forward to this challenge if you might call it that. Unfortunately my experience started rather bad with a LOT of freezes, and most time the entire machine included the mouse. The thing is that when I went back to Norway where I'm from, I haven�t had any freeze what so ever. I question my self if it might have something with the power to do, and that the electricity might be more stable here in Norway. Only a thought, and I have no problems anymore so what to say? Have not done anything with settings or OS since I bought the machine.

Hope things work out for you all!

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2005, 08:57 PM

Finally, these stopped bothering me, as shown:

16:56 up 19 days, 14:36, 3 users, load averages: 0.54 0.54 0.44

I tried a few things, one was to nuke and pave, do a fresh install sharing none of my old prefs..

Then I did NOT install a dyndns sorta client (I used to use dnsupdate a lot) -- when I found that some people on versiontracker WERE getting this problem while using DNSupdate..

Suddenly the crashes stopped, then I put my machine behind a router and WOW I'm getting 13day+ uptimes for the first time ever!
Aloha

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2005, 01:44 AM

Finally, these stopped bothering me, as shown:

16:56 up 19 days, 14:36, 3 users, load averages: 0.54 0.54 0.44

I tried a few things, one was to nuke and pave, do a fresh install sharing none of my old prefs..

Then I did NOT install a dyndns sorta client (I used to use dnsupdate a lot) -- when I found that some people on versiontracker WERE getting this problem while using DNSupdate..

Suddenly the crashes stopped, then I put my machine behind a router and WOW I'm getting 13day+ uptimes for the first time ever!
I'm always going to have a sore spot when I think about purchasing Apple's computers after my 1+ years with the freeze-problem, but it's damned nice to have it finally resolved isn't it? I think the fact that they barely acknowledged that it exists/existed is what bugs me the most.

zzarg
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2005, 04:51 AM

I wasn't going to chime in with a "me to" but... what the heck !

I have similar issues on a Rev.A 12" PowerBook with (Apple) 1GB RAM added.

I don't have a BitTorrent client of any sort installed (never have - use my Windows machine for that as it's hardwired to the ethernet not wireless) and do have iTunes running almost all the time (often talking to AirPort express)

I've never noticed having the issue when iTunes isn't running, but it often happens when I'm using Safari with iTunes running hidden and Entourage open, checking mail every 10 mins (don't know if it makes a difference)

Have not noticed anything consistent about the problem - it usually happens when my mind is a million miles away - apart from the fact that it does happen more often in the evening after a long day ... just the thing to really drive me wild

Stefan
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2005, 09:25 AM

a lot of people here seem to have this particular freeze with a PowerBook. mine is a PB 12" and i have lots of freezes that do not even leave my mouse to move. however, they never occur when the computer is cold. my particular problem seems to be that the PB gets too hot.

cambro
Senior User
Mar 5, 2005, 07:57 PM

Just thought I'd relate a similar situation...

A friend of mine (switcher from windoze) has a brand new 1.5 Ghz 12" PB. He is getting hard freezes, which here means:

-mouse cursor moves
-force quit will NOT open
-no input (clicking) works in any application (Finder et al.)

I was on the phone with him telling him how to set a new time zone in Date/Time prefs. It froze when he did this. When he got to my place, I was able to reproduce the lock up by changing time zones, relaunching SysPrefs, changing time zone again etc. Mousing over SysPrefs icon in dock reveals spinny beach ball once the freeze happens. The only way to get out of the lock (I think...) is to hold power button.

This is very annoying and I have NEVER seen any freeze like this on my 2+ yr old Ghz TiBook (10.3.8).

I have trashed relevant prefs, repaired permissions multiple times, run DiskUtility with the 12" in target mode so we'll see...

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2005, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by cambro:
Just thought I'd relate a similar situation...

A friend of mine (switcher from windoze) has a brand new 1.5 Ghz 12" PB. He is getting hard freezes, which here means:

-mouse cursor moves
-force quit will NOT open
-no input (clicking) works in any application (Finder et al.)

I was on the phone with him telling him how to set a new time zone in Date/Time prefs. It froze when he did this. When he got to my place, I was able to reproduce the lock up by changing time zones, relaunching SysPrefs, changing time zone again etc. Mousing over SysPrefs icon in dock reveals spinny beach ball once the freeze happens. The only way to get out of the lock (I think...) is to hold power button.

This is very annoying and I have NEVER seen any freeze like this on my 2+ yr old Ghz TiBook (10.3.8).

I have trashed relevant prefs, repaired permissions multiple times, run DiskUtility with the 12" in target mode so we'll see...
See if you can reproduce the crash doing the exact some thing on another machine. If so, report it to Apple through their standard feedback channel.
( Last edited by Detrius; Mar 6, 2005 at 11:13 AM. )
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Kate
Senior User
Mar 6, 2005, 07:46 AM

Since my last post, dating back to last year or so, I can happily report that my issues have gone.

I now do strongly suspect my old hard drive to have been the main cause, since the time when the new one replaced it, I have never had this type of issue again. The iBook now runs 10.3.8 , has a new drive and is working full time again since months under moderate load.

Keep in mind, that my drive had no reported errors using any testing app out there. I did a full backup off of the old drive and cloned this back to the new drive. So the essential software had been kept and has not caused any problem afterwards.

lrvk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 09:08 PM

same here; after my 'I replaced my boot drive and now it seems to be solved'-post, some months ago, the freezes belong to the past. they never came back.

my hard drive also never reported any errors, so I could copy all important files to the new one, but it was very slow at times. which was why I suspected it could have something to do with the problem in the first place.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 08:43 PM

Hey guys..

It's baaack

And I couldn't be sadder! :'( It turns out for me at least, after upgrading to tiger one day my machine froze.. omg beachball of death! *restarts* check my logs and see this sort of error:

lookupd[689]: ni_statistics: Communication failure
lookupd[689]: NetInfo connection failed for server 127.0.0.1/local

AHHH! I figured it was because I did a straight off upgrade instead of a nuke-and-pave, so I backed everything up to my PB, reformatted, reinstalled and to be safe I started off with fresh new preference files.

Unfortunately it turns out that wasn't enough. I just got one of these a few minutes ago. I dunno what to say except it looks like I might have to either buy a new hard drive or go back to 10.3
Aloha

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2005, 02:09 PM

I've noticed Tiger pauses sometimes, but it always comes back. The biggest problem I had was trying to compile a huge project with only 256MB of RAM on a new Mac mini. It *looked* like the SBOD, but it slowly progressed and eventually finished. It was really just thrashing. After upgrading to 1GB of RAM, I saw that it was using nearly all of my 1GB, so clearly it was just a RAM problem.

That's just my $2*10^-2.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2005, 03:04 PM

Yeah, here it did a lookupd style crash, if you tried to make a program do something you'd get a beachball but otherwise just a frozen machine with a pointer cursor constantly, that is.. unless I waited ~5-10 minutes and then lookupd would restart and all was back to normal.

Unlike your situation though when this happens my machine is pretty quiet, plenty free, so I certainly don't think the memory is involved in this case
Aloha

blasto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2005, 05:06 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I have been having the same problems and thought I would chip in, for what its worth.

My ibook 800 (with airport) experiences the lock up with moving cursor. I haven't been running iTunes, have reformatted and reinstalled OSX 10.3 from 3.3.to 3.9 have swapped out ram and removed airport card and still have the same probs. I have now found I can cause the freeze by moving the ibook in certain ways, which almost certainly points to hardware in my case. The easiest way to get the freeze is to adjust the screen angle. System log reports problem:

Jul 29 11:26:13 localhost kernel: ATIRadeon::submit_buffer: Overflowed block waiting for FIFO space. Have 5, need 6. RBBM_STATUS 0x80010140. VAP_CNTL_STATUS 0x00000002
Jul 29 11:26:24 localhost kernel: ** ASIC Hang Log Start **
Jul 29 11:26:24 localhost kernel: 0x01005c63 4f000217 00000007 00000003
Jul 29 11:26:24 localhost kernel: 0x0200b05d c0001c04 00000002 00000008
Jul 29 11:26:24 localhost kernel: 0x00004443 01e1f8b7 00001616 80010140
Jul 29 11:26:24 localhost kernel: 0x4000ffff 001e0000 51b3a220 72001005
Jul 29 11:26:24 localhost kernel: 0x080a0f00 00000000 040100f8 80000003
Jul 29 11:26:24 localhost kernel: 0x0008bbbb 00000002
Jul 29 11:26:24 localhost kernel: 0:0x00000002
Jul 29 11:26:24 localhost kernel: 1:0x000101ce

This runs on until reboot. I can sometimes recover the OS by closing lid and forcing sleep (this takes a few minutes), but it often crashes on reopening, probably due to the same hardware fault that caused original stall.

Hoping its just the wiring as I'm out of warranty, but iBook logic boards have had a very poor track record....

Would appreciate advice from anyone with similar situation, especially the ASIC hang.
"Your karma's just run over my dogma"

Forum Links
Forum Rules