Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disc image

Disc image
drillerkiller
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2002, 03:43 PM

I have a couple of G4s that are both running the same software (OS X, FCP, Photoshop, After Effects). Both machines get used a lot and I find I have to rebuild them often. Is there anyway to make a disc image of a clean instal so when I need to rebuild the machines it will make things a little easier? I did a search here and didn't find the exact instructions for creating and installing from a disc image. Please keep in mind that it doesn't have to fit on a single CD. I'd like to keep the image on my iPod or a firewire drive.

Thanks.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2002, 04:06 PM

I would think Carbon Copy Cloner could do what you want. You want to be able to go back to a "fresh" state occasionally, yes? Just install everything in the way you want it and copy the drive to your iPod (I think it should work with the iPod, it does with normal firewire disks). You can then do the reverse from the ipod to the computer's hard disk when you want to restore.

drillerkiller  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2002, 04:13 PM

Thanks! I wasn't sure if it was that simple. When I copy back from the iPod or firewire will it just overwrite the old info with the new?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2002, 05:08 PM

If possible I would probably format the disk before doing the restore, just to make sure you are starting from a clean slate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules