Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How long does your iBook run on after a full charge?

How long does your iBook run on after a full charge?
dajay
Nov 24, 2002, 08:59 AM

I only manage to get 1.5 hours from a full charge with my iBook 600 under 10.2.2

What are you getting?
( Last edited by dajay; Nov 24, 2002 at 09:20 AM. )

damosan
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2002, 09:22 AM

Much longer than that...upwards of 3.5 hours or more...depends on what I'm doing.

My iBook throttles itself back when on battery though.

It may be time for you to get a new battery.

Damo

slider
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 10:03 AM

I was getting about 2 hours, but with the jag update I am getting about 2.5 hours, I should use a stop watch sometime. iBook 466

dajay  (op)
Nov 24, 2002, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by slider:
I was getting about 2 hours, but with the jag update I am getting about 2.5 hours, I should use a stop watch sometime. iBook 466
Hmm, strange. I was getting 2.5 h before the jag update and now it dropped to 1.5

Instead of a stopwatch, I can recommend the freeware X-Charge.
( Last edited by dajay; Nov 24, 2002 at 02:30 PM. )

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2002, 11:51 AM

I used to get 2 hours with my iBook 600. My newer iBook 700, though, gets almost 4 hours. But it's brand new, and has a higher capacity battery. A month from now, who knows...

Chris

slider
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 12:02 PM

OK, I installed X-Charge and unplugged it, then I turned off the sleep options for the battery set up with xcharge running, also killed the screen saver so we will see, should know in a couple of hours. Airport is also on.

bevo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2002, 01:37 PM

depends what Im doing but I get around 3 hours with airport on with my ibook 600 10.2.2

slider
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 02:31 PM

OK, the computer when to sleep with about 15% of charge left and 15 mins to go. The X-Charge graph shows that it dropped off to 0% charge from 15% charge, don't really know what that means. And is currently charging from the 0% charge on the graph. The time was about 2hr 25min, but throughout seemed to be going for 2hr 40min. I had the screen at full brightness, mail.app made sure the airport card was being used every 5min and I was logged onto iChat as well. The HD spun the whole time and was accessed as needed. Of course the X-Charge app ran the whole time up front. 320MB of ram, will be install a 512MB ram in place of the 256 chip soon, I'll have to see if that does anything. Not bad though, beats the one hour most of my PC friends get.

dajay  (op)
Nov 24, 2002, 02:54 PM

OK, the computer when to sleep with about 15% of charge left and 15 mins to go. The X-Charge graph shows that it dropped off to 0% charge from 15% charge, don't really know what that means. And is currently charging from the 0% charge on the graph. The time was about 2hr 25min, but throughout seemed to be going for 2hr 40min. I had the screen at full brightness, mail.app made sure the airport card was being used every 5min and I was logged onto iChat as well. The HD spun the whole time and was accessed as needed. Of course the X-Charge app ran the whole time up front. 320MB of ram, will be install a 512MB ram in place of the 256 chip soon, I'll have to see if that does anything. Not bad though, beats the one hour most of my PC friends get.
My iBook drops off at 27%, it doesn't even give a warning, just goes to sleep.
Your 2.5 hours is still pretty decent though. I'm nowhere near the 3 hours others are having, even without airport and with the cpu at lower speed.

Most people I have asked so far, seem to have around 1.5 h after about a year of regular use.

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2002, 04:24 PM

I have an iBook 600Mhz with 640MB of ram; I get between 2hrs and 30mins to about 2hrs and 45mins. I have my power management set to automatic so it changes the processor speed to full when I have it plugged in and to reduce when I have it on battery. I don't rely on the OS X low battery indicator because I find that at times it can be very inaccurate not to mention that low power message (bug) that tells your iBook is low on power when it's really isn't after you wake your iBook from sleep.

If you find your battery life is low before purchasing a new battery try resetting the power management goto this url to find out how make sure you find your iBook model.

Apple Power Management Reset

dajay  (op)
Nov 24, 2002, 04:58 PM

If you find your battery life is low before purchasing a new battery try resetting the power management goto this url to find out how make sure you find your iBook model.

Apple Power Management Reset [/B]
Thanks, I just tried that yesterday, but that didn't help. I guess I'll have to get a new battery soon.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2002, 05:42 PM

I get a min of 2 hours, and I usually run Appleworks, IE, Mail, iTunes and more! I dont have airport and Im running on os x . 2 .2 - and my iBook is over a month old
we don't have time to stop for gas

-Q-
Nov 24, 2002, 05:43 PM

With my 500, I was barely getting over an hour or so. With the new 800 I'm not getting 3-3.5 hours depending on what I"m doing, but that's with the airport card. I'm not sure what battery life would be without using the card...

mkoz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2002, 02:51 PM

i'm getting 18 minutes out of my 500mhz ibook that i got in june of 2001 running 10.2.2. it seems like just months ago i could almost get an hour. so, are batteries suppose to only last a year and a half?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2002, 09:39 PM

iBook 600mhz...i get about 2 1/2 hrs on a full charge

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2002, 10:12 PM

I have had my ibook for like a week, 6 days so I have not had time to pull it off of AC power.

kaotage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2002, 06:25 AM

I have mine for two weeks now. and battery lasts in OSX 4 hours. Working with photoshop 7, Adobe GoLive and IE.

------------
IBOOK 700MHz, 128MB, Combo
MBP:C2D:3GB:100:7200

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2002, 08:00 AM

My 800 gets up to about 4 hours, and that's not with reduced processor either. Hopefully this is not just new battery syndrome which will fade..
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2002, 05:50 PM

On my 466, a total guestimate would be around 3.5 hours - nearly fully dimmed and without Airport under 10.2.1. I used to get around 5 or so under OS 9, but I'm certainly not going back there.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Sosa
Senior User
Nov 27, 2002, 08:02 PM

I have a 4 month old 700 iBook. On battery power I set it to automatically reduce processor speed and I always lower the brightness to minimum visible, although I did not know that turning off the airport saved power too. Well, I get at least 4 hrs on my battery, probably closer to 5.

My low battery indicator works perfect too. It warns me when the battery has a few minutes left and seems accurate. Really, i have the longest lasting labtop in my class, everyone else has PC labtops whose batteries last 1 hour.

I will say this about my iBook battery, I try to minimize using it. Batteries hold less charge each time they exhaust. Batteries from good manufacturers seem to last longer too. My wireless phone is 2 1/4 years old and the original battery still gets me 1hr+ talk time. This phone is made by Qualcom LG and it was quite expensive when I bought it ($225).
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

olli2
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2002, 07:59 AM

Some tips for conserving the capacity of the battery, copied from the Manual of my IBM notebook:
- remove your battery if you work on AC power and do not want to charge it
- store your battery with less than 50% of charge for long period of time (months)
- avoid regular deep discharges (do not force using it with less than 3%)
- avoid regular discharge-recharge cycles in the 90-100 % range (unplugging and replugging external power cord, power-cuts)
- avoid starting a charging process for a 100 % charged battery, because Li-ion, Li-polymer and NiMH batteries are very sensible for overcharging (though the electronics should handel this, they have a certain response time to detect that the battery is fully charged)
- avoid using your laptop only on AC power for long periods (months) with the battery in (like a desktop replacement)
- it is good to discharge your battery before recharging it

NB:
- batteris can die just like that
- after 1.5 year of use, the capacity of the battery in laptops reduces to 50-70%
- after the first few days the capacity of the new battery drops some %
- it is very hard to recover the lost capacity of NiMH, Li-ion and Li-polymer batteries (vs. the memory effect of NiCd cells)

Tips to extend battery life:
- reduce LCD brightness (can save 20-30 minutes)
- reduce LCD color depth (can save about 10 minutes)
- reduce processor speed (can save 20-30 minutes)
- use low power consumption memory modules (cheap third party memory modules can be very power hungry)
- use more memory, so the OS will keep files in memory and access the hard disk less often
- turn off wireless hardware (bluetooth, infrared, wlan/airport)
- buy a model with a smaller LCD screen / larger battery

By my experience, Sanyo makes the best batteries.

Some of these were already mentiond here, I just do not want to check.

Edit:
Oh, and the word battery shouldn't be used here, as rechargeable electrochemical cells have the name accumulator (batteries are not rechargeable).
( Last edited by olli2; Nov 30, 2002 at 08:04 AM. )

slider
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2002, 04:26 PM

Looks like I might have lost 15min with the new ram. Still, not bad. First I was not using any power conservation techniques and I am also usually near a power source. I have watched DVD on long road trips, got a 12V power adaptor for that and noise canceling head phones. Hmmm, you can hook up to an external battery with a 12V car adaptor can't you? I am actually thinking of a car battery in a situation where you might not be near other sources of power, but that's not the topic.

jfinete
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2002, 05:31 PM

My mom has a 366MHz Indigo iBook and I have a 500Mhz Dual USB. Both are running 10.2.2 with an Airport card and are set to the "Automatic" Energy Saver mode. Both iBooks get about three hours.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2002, 07:01 PM

I don't have an iBook but a good friend of mine does. I see him every day at university, he got a 14,1" iBook around 8 months ago and uses it at university every day. He still gets around 5-6h depending on what he does.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Raidiant
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2002, 08:58 AM

??? i think the 14 inch has much more battery life. I have a 14 inch and I can run 5 hours with normal settings, 4 hours with maximum brightness....if I set to very optinum settings with minium workload I can even get a 6 ...rarely though... Usually I work with maxed out brightness and my battery dies after 4 hours... but still decent.

At least there is some evidence that my 14 inch isn't such a bad choice after all....

arclight
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2002, 11:09 AM

I have a new 800 combo and I get at least 4 hours on battery if not more. It does go to sleep without warning near 5-10% but then I just plug it back in. Wish they had the removable bay to add another battery like the old PB's.

Batteries will just get better with time. I'm satisfied with four hours for now. I just hope it doesn't get down to the "hour and a half" that some have posted here.
---------------------------------------

dajay  (op)
Dec 1, 2002, 11:17 AM

Yep, the 14" iBook has a larger battery

superblue
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2002, 11:20 AM

Well I was disappointed to find it didn't last long enough to play a DVD last night - suddenly went to sleep about 20 minutes from the end - so I had to mess about with an extension cable to get the end of the film!

GREEKDEVIL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2002, 06:37 PM

I GET 6 HOURS WITH MINE SO U NEED TO BUY A NEW BATTERY GO TO EBAY THEY GOT GOOD DEALS

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2002, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by GREEKDEVIL:
I GET 6 HOURS WITH MINE SO U NEED TO BUY A NEW BATTERY GO TO EBAY THEY GOT GOOD DEALS
I think you broke your keyboard, the CAPS-Lock seems to be stuck...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2002, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by D'Espice:

I think you broke your keyboard, the CAPS-Lock seems to be stuck...
Maybe thats the secret to get 6 hours of battery life.

Subzero Diesel949
Dec 3, 2002, 01:44 AM

1 1/2 hours over here. And that's with both iBooks.

darrenlim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 01:29 PM

I have a 2.5 mths old iBook 700 14.1" screen. The battery lasts about 3.5 hours on full screen brightness with itunes and limewire and normal surfing over ADSL. Almost 4 hours with half screen brightness. I definitely notice a slight loss of capacity when I used to get up to 4.5 hours to 5 hours.

On my previous Pismo, my battery died after a year and a half as I usually left the AC plugged in. I shld have took the battery out. However, the current ibooks have the battery in such a way that taking it out means leaving a gaping hole below. So shld I take the battery out while plugged in? or is it fine to leave it in? I guess not as I am afraid it will eventually die on me (the battery) any solutions?

garetjax
Dec 5, 2002, 05:28 PM

Both my ibooks' batteries are failing big time. I bought them in June 2002 and originally they were getting ~3hrs with airport card. All of a sudden now they're getting about 30 min. The kicker is that after first unplugging from AC the indicator shows 3hrs, then 30 min later it gives the "you are running on reserve power" message when the indicator still had over 2 hrs left. Just went from 2+ hrs to 0 in a few seconds. I went to Apple KB and reset the power manager in both ibooks but still get the same result.

Will Apple replace bad batteries for ibooks still under warranty?

ibook 600/640 ram/CD/airport/OS 9.2.2
ibook 700/640 ram/combo/airport/OS 9.2.2

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2002, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by garetjax:
Both my ibooks' batteries are failing big time. I bought them in June 2002 and originally they were getting ~3hrs with airport card. All of a sudden now they're getting about 30 min. The kicker is that after first unplugging from AC the indicator shows 3hrs, then 30 min later it gives the "you are running on reserve power" message when the indicator still had over 2 hrs left. Just went from 2+ hrs to 0 in a few seconds. I went to Apple KB and reset the power manager in both ibooks but still get the same result.

Will Apple replace bad batteries for ibooks still under warranty?

ibook 600/640 ram/CD/airport/OS 9.2.2
ibook 700/640 ram/combo/airport/OS 9.2.2
I had a similar problem where the iBook would show the reserve power warning after 25 minutes. I decided to see what happened if I ignored the warning and continued using it until it it would put itself to sleep. To my positive surprise, it was running for well over an hour after it reached the 0% level. Then it went to sleep. I tried the same thing some days later, and it would run 12 mins after it reached 0%. Now I get approx. 1h45min on the battery, and that is about what the computer tells me the battery will last when I unplug.

The procedure must have given the battery and power management a new idea of how much the battery is capable of. This is in OS X, and the battery is 18 months old.

garetjax
Dec 5, 2002, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by alien:

I had a similar problem where the iBook would show the reserve power warning after 25 minutes. I decided to see what happened if I ignored the warning and continued using it until it it would put itself to sleep. To my positive surprise, it was running for well over an hour after it reached the 0% level. Then it went to sleep. I tried the same thing some days later, and it would run 12 mins after it reached 0%. Now I get approx. 1h45min on the battery, and that is about what the computer tells me the battery will last when I unplug.

The procedure must have given the battery and power management a new idea of how much the battery is capable of. This is in OS X, and the battery is 18 months old.
You're right about the ability to continue working after the reserve power message. However, in OS 9, the screen dims to an unacceptable level after the message appears, despite being able to continue. I'm headed to the nearest genius bar this weekend to fix these babies. Hope Apple will just replace them with newer, longer lasting batteries. And I'm going to have to get applecare for these ibooks before the year warranty runs out. This is the second time in 4 mos that I had to bring in this ibook.

ringo
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2002, 11:59 PM

500 Mhz, 12" iBook running 10.2...

I get just under 3 hours with Airport on and brightness turned up all the way. I was traveling last week and got almost four hours after turning off the airport card and bringing the brightness way down.

I think Jaguar increased my battery life, but I heard that it should have shortened it.

darrenlim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2002, 11:22 AM

is there such a thing as a weight saver to put in the battery slot of the ibook after taking out the battery? u noe, something like the weight saver for the pismo powerbook.. basically just an empty plastic sort of thing similar in shape to the battery?

I want to run my ibook off AC and store the battery out to extend the life but cant do it as it would leave a gaping hole underneath and not very stable..

any ideas?

FishDoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2002, 02:05 PM

I am having a similar problem with my year-old iBook. I read through the Apple forums, and it appears to be a problem with the battery. In my case, it started by going to sleep when it thought it had 25% left, then when it had 50%, and now it sleeps at 65%....the indicator goes from 65% to 0% immediately.

Interestingly, if I push the button on the battery itself, IT shows only one flashing light, indicating low power, despite showing three steady lights moments before. That suggests that it truly is a battery problem.

I intend to take mine into the local Apple store and see if they will replace it (since I am still under warranty).

Fish

dajay  (op)
Dec 7, 2002, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by alien:

The exact same thing happends on my iBook 600 from time to time. Hm, maybe I should call Apple about this.

cellogal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2002, 11:23 AM

Wow. I feel lucky that my new 800 mhz 12" gets such nice battery life. When I'm working on something, it's usually just with MS Word open, and maybe ical. If I turn my brightness pretty far down (it doesn't bother my eyes), I can get it to tell me that I'll have up to about 5:40. But I've never tested it that far, yet.

So how long after you owned your ibooks did y'all start having battery problems? How much longer do I have of ibook bliss before it starts sleeping on me?

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2002, 02:35 PM

I've owned two iBooks.

The first, a 500MHz revision 1 dual usb model. By the time I got it, it had been about a year old. I wasn't quite sure how the previous owner was with recharges and such, but... 2.5 hours was about the most I've ever seen it able to handle. Upgrading to Jaguar made a slight, though not major impact on the machine.

The new 800MHz 12.1" model is much better. Though I haven't run it down to 0 yet (always been near a power source, plus it's bad for the battery anyway). I've seen 4hours+ with light to moderate usage, enough life to watch all of Spiderman on DVD and have about 30 minutes of usage left.

I am by no means an expert here, but it's most likely that a new battery would solve your problems.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

garetjax
Dec 9, 2002, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by cellogal:

So how long after you owned your ibooks did y'all start having battery problems? How much longer do I have of ibook bliss before it starts sleeping on me? [/B]
I've had my ibooks now for 5 mos. From various posts it seems that this is a sporadic problem. I have no idea what the avg annual decline in battery life for an icebook is but my time of 28 min on one of my ibooks with only 4 mos of daily usage is not acceptable. I brought it into Apple this weekend and they will ship me a new one. Hopefully this one will last longer. My other ibook's battery life is also starting to die: about 1.5 hrs currently. I encourage ibook owners to test their battery life before the warranty runs out. Apple will replace them if there's a problem.

RogerZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2002, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by dajay:
I only manage to get 1.5 hours from a full charge with my iBook 600 under 10.2.2

What are you getting?
I could watch the whole Spiderman DVD and about 80 minutes of Star Wars on a full charged iBook..

BTW: I'm using a 800Mhz iBook with 640MB ram.

Bye
Roger

ChadC
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2002, 11:41 PM

blueberry 300 mhz iBook with 10.2.2 gives me around 2 hours with airport always one.

Chad Coronato
ChadCoronato.com

mishakim
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2002, 11:46 PM

I get maximum 1.5 hours on my 500 MhZ 12.1" with brighness down. Airport on or off doesn't seem to matter.

I think I used to get longer in the past but never actually measured it. I have the feeling that it got worse this fall - after over a year of just using it for an hour or two in the evenings after work, I went back to school and now use it for 4-8 hours a day, mostly on AC.

ickettpe
Jan 20, 2003, 02:14 AM

I get close to 4 hours, screen about 80% brightness, no airport, doing stuff like browsing web, itunes, etc. I just got my baby a few weeks ago.
Proof is an idol before which the mathematician tortures himself.
-Sir Arthur Eddington
----------------------------
800iBook | 384 | 12.1in | Jag

ickettpe
Jan 21, 2003, 01:42 AM

Okay.. today I left my book open and running with a low charge (I would guess around 15 - 20%) and when i came back, it was asleep. I plugged it in to the AC and woke it up, and the charge was 0%. After reading this thread I am afraid that i've ruined my battery. Is there any way I can have my ibook shut down before it goes all the way to a flat battery?
-Sir Arthur Eddington

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2003, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by ickettpe:
Okay.. today I left my book open and running with a low charge (I would guess around 15 - 20%) and when i came back, it was asleep. I plugged it in to the AC and woke it up, and the charge was 0%. After reading this thread I am afraid that i've ruined my battery. Is there any way I can have my ibook shut down before it goes all the way to a flat battery?
I don't think you need to worry. I'd be surprised if the battery won't recharge. Now, it may not be recommendable to go all the way to 0% too often, (can't say I know enough about that,) but once shouldn't hurt.

ickettpe
Jan 21, 2003, 11:39 PM

does anyone know of a way that i can have my ibook shut down when it gets to very low battery power?
-Sir Arthur Eddington

Forum Links
Forum Rules