Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I hate my MacBook

I hate my MacBook
Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2008, 02:41 PM

So it's been just about two years since I bought my MacBook (2 Ghz Core Duo - white). I've wanted an Apple laptop for a very long time, so I was pretty excited when I basically spent the first few paychecks I've ever had to get one, even though I had to wait around at the Apple store for an hour just to get someone to notice me.

I started experiencing problems almost immediately. First off, it was slow... really slow. There was none of this snappiness I've heard so much about. I wasn't too worried about that though since I figured I could just upgrade the 512 MB of RAM. The other problem was that the MacBook would not wake up after it went to sleep. A call to support didn't didn't fix the problem. So I just didn't put my MacBook to sleep. A software update eventually fixed the problem I'm guessing.

Later on, the hand rest cracked. I saw that one coming, considering it was made out of polystyrene. The Apple Store replaced it with an ABS (I think) hand rest, which now has dark stains on it.

I finally upgraded the RAM to 2GB after I found some on sale on New Egg. Sadly, my MacBook was still kind of slow. I was considering installing Boot Camp so I could run some of the engineering programs I needed for school, but it was out of the question after I realized that even 2GB of RAM couldn't make my MacBook any faster.

I was content with my MacBook even though it was slow, and kind of annoying sometimes. But recently the bluetooth module.. or something, I'm not really sure.. broke. Bluetooth only works intermittently now, which is VERY annoying. To make matters worse, whenever the bluetooth stops working, my MacBook refuses to sleep. It will randomly wake up while the lid is closed. There's a thread on Apple's forum with people with a similar problem.

I brought it to the genius bar to find out how much it would cost to fix the problem.. it would cost $280 to get it fixed. I wouldn't even buy this MacBook for that much. The genius also commented about how slow my my MacBook was.

I bought my MacBook as an investment and I expected it to last me at least four years. So far it's been one of the worse decisions I've made. My MacBook is now basically my desktop which is sadly slower than my now 6 year old PC. I really just hope I got a lemon, although I don't think I'll be getting another Mac.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2008, 03:34 PM

Sounds like you just got a lemon.

After you experienced the problems immediately, you should have taken it to the Genius Bar then and gotten it exchanged.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2008, 08:20 PM

I would have exchanged it if it really was that much slower than other macbooks.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jul 3, 2008, 08:28 PM

I agree with these guys. I would have taken it there as soon as problems occurred. I have had a few problems with my Macbook, but none to your degree. My hand rest has cracked as well. You should have picked up Applecare, protect your investment. Sorry for your situation.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2008, 11:38 PM

never had a problem with my Gen1 macbook, and neither with my old powerbook g4, nor my new mba

Ozz_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2008, 09:16 AM

I have heard around that even though it's out of warranty, Apple will still fix the handrest cracking issue. I would at least try to get them to. If that fails, an email to [email protected] explaining that you already had it replaced once and now it did it again, will probably yield you some unexpected results. I have done this myself on other issues.

At least you would be able to sell the unit for a fair price afterwards and replace it. You most definitely got a lemon. I own several Macs and have owned a dozen more in the past, and I never encountered issues this bad on a new machine.

fesdds
Jul 4, 2008, 11:39 PM

When ever you plan on keeping a laptop for as you stated "4 years" you should most definitely get Apple Care. I always did with my first laptops and back when Apple was having the logic board issues with the iBooks I ended up with a new iBook 2.5 years into the ownership period. I don't get Apple Care now only because I end up getting a new one every 12-18 months. I will complain about the handrest issue. Now you have learned that a computer is not an investment - it is losing value everyday.

Albert Pujols  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2008, 01:18 AM

You guys are right, I shouldn't have settled for a problematic MacBook, but I was just excited about finally having a MacBook and I was in a bit of denial about there being something wrong with it. It sounds kind of stupid now but I never really thought it was a big deal, it annoys the hell out of me now.

At the time I couldn't justify buying the $250 AppleCare because I just didn't think I'd have a problem with it. If I did buy it I would have saved $30 considering it costs $280 to fix whatever the problem is.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2008, 02:16 AM

I wouldn't let this turn you off from Macs. The original Core Duo MacBooks had many problems with them. The newer ones are great, and I'm using one right now. No problems whatsoever.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Cold Warrior
Jul 5, 2008, 10:01 AM

I'll agree with the comments about first-gen core duo MacBooks. I've seen many more problems with them than I've seen on any Mac product before or since. I owned one and it had a number of problems.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2008, 11:19 AM

I am sorry to hear about your problems. The first gen MacBooks seemed to be extremely hit or miss, quality and reliability wise. I have several friends with them, and some have had more problems than you have, and some have been absolutely perfect. As a general rule, AppleCare is a good idea with a first-generation product, especially a portable that uses pretty much new technology (for Apple).

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2008, 01:44 PM

I have to agree. My first gen MacBook has been disappointing. I sprung the extra $150 for the BlackBook, and it just hasn't worn well, with the case really showing oil and wear and a string of dead pixels off to the right of the screen. Okay, so apparently I'm "greasy," but I have a Wallstreet 233 Mhz, and it doesn't show half the wear my BlackBook does, and its screen remains flawless.

I'm not trying to slag the line or anything, but of all the Macs I've owned over the last 16 years, this one isn't that great.

To make up for it, I bought an Air, which I love. IMHO, it's a superior bit of craftsmanship.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2008, 06:03 PM

On an upside note, my MacBook is the best Mac I've had. It's a second generation one though. It did have the crack happen a few months ago and I ended up procrastinating on fixing it until the last day of my warranty. Though it was fixed overnight at the Apple retailer.

It may seem slow when running a lot of high processor stuff but it's fine when not. It's still hella faster than my previous Mac which was the 1.25GHz G4 mini.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2008, 09:26 PM

Yep, I've been less than thrilled with my first-gen MacBook as well. Fortunately, I got Applecare, so my recent motherboard replacement cost me $0 instead of >$1,000. Sorry to hear that you're out of warrantee with those issues. You can always do what I'm planning on doing: wait for the rumored upcoming update to the MacBook Pros, then wait for one more update if there are any significant physical changes, and then buy one.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

roller
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2008, 10:46 AM

Just to jump in on the lemon issue...

I have purchased over 30 Macs over the last eight years, various models from clamshell iBooks to Mac Pros. I am a yearbook adviser at a local high school and am responsible for all aspects of the Mac lab I run.

I have had very few problems with any of the machines. Ironically, however, an iMac I purchased (with my own money, in this case) for my daughter as a Christmas gift has been a lemon from day 1. It has had the logic board replaced twice, a new power supply, new hard drive, some new sensors, and more all over the course of its three-year warranty. None of that has ever really solved the problem.

I share that just to note that Apple does have lemons, just like any other company. It sounds like you just happened to get one of them. I know that will color your impression of Apple in the future, and I can't blame you, but it is likely that the next Apple machine you own will not have issues.
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

Cold Warrior
Jul 9, 2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by roller View Post
It has had the logic board replaced twice, a new power supply, new hard drive, some new sensors, and more all over the course of its three-year warranty. None of that has ever really solved the problem.
I would have asked for a complete replacement long ago.

roller
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I would have asked for a complete replacement long ago.
Yea... I agree. I should have and consider it a lesson learned.

Frankly, I now think the issue could be third party RAM which Rember reports as being bad.
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

bbales
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 01:04 PM

I, too, would have asked for a replacement. No way would I have accepted a computer that did not work as expected. But really -- part of that is YOUR problem for not being your own advocate. You experienced a persistent problem, but then something somewhat magically fixed it? You have to be pro-active, too.

I, on the other hand, hope never to be a party to any purchase of a Dell. My daughter has a Dell laptop (tried to talk her into apple, but she wouldn't listen...) she got two years ago for college and it has been nothing but trouble. Dell replaced pretty much all of its parts, and at one point we said when will you just give her a new mchine? Answer -- not till everything, including the motherboard has been replaced. Dell finally gave her a refurbished one (quite a bit faster than the original!) -- and that, too, has had significant issues.

Never again. Won't buy another Dell.

tiger
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2008, 01:43 PM

I got similar issue with my first gen C2D macbook as well. its 2gb, 80 gb hard drive, and 1.8ghz. The bluetooth only works once in a while, and it sometimes doesn't sleep or just wakes up in its sleep and restart... I got apple care but haven't sent it in yet, and also my airport would randomly drop as well oddly enough... my palmrest never cracked but regardless, I never saw something that bad with a mac. Recently though I bought a new macbook pro.. I was very angry to see my Macbook pro have so many problems out of the box... it had dead pixels, it would not sleep, latch would not work... i mean come on... do you really expect this from a new machine... all I did was walk into an apple store took it to a genius the day it arrived and walked out with a new one... simple as that. I got a new one now that is practically perfect, no issues whatsoever (except for some driver issue with nvidia graphics, but that's not a biggie).

Something I learned about computers (back when i had an iBook G3 that had the logic board issue and I sent it in almost every month) is always buy apple care for laptops, no matter what brand they are, you need a warranty because you can't really fix most of the issues that could go wrong with it and when you're looking for a long term (4 year) in vestment, then apple care is a no-brainer...

The fact that your mac is so slow could also be a hard drive issue... that you can fix, pretty simple...

Cheers

maclover192
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2008, 01:47 PM

My MacBook has had similar problems. The palmrest was designed very poorly (mine cracked too) and I hate the white epoxy they used. But my main complaint towards apple came today with the new iPhone G3. I got in line three hours early along with three hundred people and the store only had 40 phones in stock WTF! Apple is really pissing me off today. Did they learn nothing from last year?

Albert Pujols  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 11:46 AM

They actually used polystyrene for the hand rest. It's such a poor choice of material, it's just too brittle. Although it is cheap and easy to process; they basically sacrificed quality to reduce the cost/increase revenue. In my opinion, it's just not a corner they should've cut.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 12:16 AM

My MacBook has probably been my best Apple Laptop ever. I had an iBook and a 12 inch PowerBook before it, the PB was great, but got all banged to hell, optical drive got a disc stuck in it at one point,t he iBook was by far the most problematic with dying logic boards four times. The only problem I had with this puppy was a dead optical drive within the warranty which I forgot to report until after the warranty was done. Apple still replaced it free of charge. Oh and the mag safe connector went... but that was more the adapter then the unit itself.

I do wish Apple would use materials that didn't absorb hand oil though, my hand rests are all shiny now even though I clean it pretty often. Oh well no real complaints from this machine, it's been rock solid and with two gigs of RAM still feels damned solid. I doubt I'd even notice a big speed up with a new Book... hence why I haven't upgraded. Perhaps after snow leopard comes out I'll upgrade mine. Or get an iMac since I don't really take my MacBook with me much anymore, can't even remember the last time it left my room.

Forum Links
Forum Rules