Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > keyboard flexibility

keyboard flexibility
wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2001, 05:50 AM

I found that the keyboard of my one-week old CD-RW iBook is rather flexible. It flexes slightly in and out when I type. Since I cannot compare it to a Ti or another iBook keyboard, I do not know if this is normal. May be it is supposed to be so "soft"?

The feel is very different from the iMac's keyboard which is very firm and sturdy. I am sure that I put the keyboard back properly after installing RAM. I do not have an Airport card which may explain some flexibility. But I did not expect it to be that flexible.

Thank you.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2001, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by wunderkind:
<STRONG>I found that the keyboard of my one-week old CD-RW iBook is rather flexible. It flexes slightly in and out when I type. Since I cannot compare it to a Ti or another iBook keyboard, I do not know if this is normal. May be it is supposed to be so "soft"?

The feel is very different from the iMac's keyboard which is very firm and sturdy. I am sure that I put the keyboard back properly after installing RAM. I do not have an Airport card which may explain some flexibility. But I did not expect it to be that flexible.

Thank you.</STRONG>
Did you turn the screw in the num lock light (between the F5 & F6 keys a half turn? That'll take some of the flex out. You can get a 6 piece precision screwdriver set at Sears for a couple bucks.

bipto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2001, 08:36 AM

Yeah, turning that little screw will fix you right up. On my 'Book, it takes all the flex out of the keyboard and makes it much more stiff than the keyboard on my old Lombard. Why Apple doesn't ship these things with that screw thingy already engaged is beyond me...

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2001, 09:23 AM

[QUOTE] [Why Apple doesn't ship these things with that screw thingy already engaged is beyond me... ]

Because if they did ship with the lock engaged then people would complain that they could not get the keyboard off to upgrade the RAM and AirPort card. After all, who wants to read the manual to figure things out! Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: imacaholic ]
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2001, 10:56 AM

Personally, when I first bought my iBook, I hated the keyboard because of the flex. but now I worked it out with the screw, it is indeed perfect. I almost spent a little fortune to get a pro-keyboard. I never thought that no. keylock was a llittle screw. Thanks guys.

drillerkiller
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2001, 11:50 AM

When I locked the screw on my keyboard a small light came on under it and lit it up. It stayed on the whole time I used it that day. After restarting my ibook, it's never been on again. What gives?

drillerkiller
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2001, 11:55 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that the light wasn't on because the number lock was on. The light stayed on when I pushed the number lock button at least 10 times. maybe something was just stuck.

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: drillerkiller ]

x user
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2001, 12:05 PM

It's ages better than the old iBook. The right corner of the keyboard flexes horribly on it!

wunderkind  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2001, 01:39 AM

Thank you for all the replies.

The problem is that I had a little screw between F5 and F6 locked all the time after installing RAM. I have to conclude that this flex - which is mostly noticeable on the left half of the keyboard just above where Airport card goies - is due to the fact that I do not have the card installed.

It is nothing to complain about. I just wondered what other people thought. May be it is the time for me to invest in the Airport card?

wunderkind
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

meridian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2001, 11:18 AM

You really shouldn't still be experiencing much or any flex with the keyboard propoerly seated. It is quite easy to seat the keyboard incorrectly. I reccommend you unlock the screw, carefully pull the 2 top latches back and remove and replace the keyboard. Make sure NOT to force it in any way. There are way too many stories about popped "delete" keys, etc. that won't go back on. The trick is to make sure the bottom notches on the keyboard are seated properly and the two top latches are seated properly before turning the locking screw.

Mine is rock solid after doing this. I don't have an Airport card.

Cheers,
Joe
Peace,
Joe

Forum Links
Forum Rules