Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > WTF?! Sperm Donor Must Pay Child Support!

WTF?! Sperm Donor Must Pay Child Support!
Father OCN
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2001, 07:39 PM

Just another example how screwed up things are.

Father OCN
"I believe the money I make belongs to me and my family, not to some mid-level bureaucrat with a bad comb-over who wants to give it away to crack addicts squirting out babies."

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by Father OCN:
<STRONG>Just another example how screwed up things are.

Father OCN</STRONG>
i agree, so should you, its all in the genome isnt it?
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2001, 08:13 PM

Ok so who reads Fark.com on here? because it seams that 1 or 2 days after something appears there it's also here.

Father OCN  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2001, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
<STRONG>Ok so who reads Fark.com on here? because it seams that 1 or 2 days after something appears there it's also here.</STRONG>
WOW, that's a cool site, thanks for the link.
"I believe the money I make belongs to me and my family, not to some mid-level bureaucrat with a bad comb-over who wants to give it away to crack addicts squirting out babies."

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Dec 11, 2001, 08:45 PM

I definitely do NOT agree with that. That particular situation was very unusual in that the recipient of the donation actually knew the person who made the donation. I still feel that this should not hold the donor accountable in any legal way at all.

Simply because she knew the donor shouldn't mean anything legally IMHO. Normally donors are kept anonymous and the person(s) whom receive the donation(s) are responsible for the welfare of the child.

This whole situation sort of defies the entire basic reasoning behind why people would donate sperm or choose to be artificially inseminated in the first place. Why the "F" doesn't she hold her former lesbian girlfriend accountable for the child support? This is as it would normally be with any couple (straight or homosexual).

Just because I decided to earn a few bucks donating my choad doesn't mean I want to be the daddy

This world's all screwed-up

Mike

suprz
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>I definitely do NOT agree with that. That particular situation was very unusual in that the recipient of the donation actually knew the person who made the donation. I still feel that this should not hold the donor accountable in any legal way at all.

Simply because she knew the donor shouldn't mean anything legally IMHO. Normally donors are kept anonymous and the person(s) whom receive the donation(s) are responsible for the welfare of the child.

This whole situation sort of defies the entire basic reasoning behind why people would donate sperm or choose to be artificially inseminated in the first place. Why the "F" doesn't she hold her former lesbian girlfriend accountable for the child support? This is as it would normally be with any couple (straight or homosexual).

Just because I decided to earn a few bucks donating my choad doesn't mean I want to be the daddy

This world's all screwed-up

Mike</STRONG>
i have to agree with mike, gay couples want to be able to raise children as any other "couple" but now it seems that the court is saying that no matter what kind of "couple" you are, the "father" or "donor" (in this case) is still responsible $$$$ wise. i say let the other half of the couple pay the child support (one of them had to be the predominant "male" of the pair ) well, like i always say, "the screwing you get, isnt worth the screwing your gonna get"
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

Father OCN  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2001, 08:59 PM

So I guess that if you want to donate sperm in the future, you'd better get a document saying that you are not legaly nor finacially responsible for the children.

/me makes mental note.

suprz
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 09:09 PM

<STRONG>So I guess that if you want to donate sperm in the future, you'd better get a document saying that you are not legaly nor finacially responsible for the children.

/me makes mental note. </STRONG>
a mental note?? i didnt think a man of the cloth was allowed to indulge in such pleasures of the flesh...
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

Father OCN  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2001, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by suprz:
<STRONG>

a mental note?? i didnt think a man of the cloth was allowed to indulge in such pleasures of the flesh... </STRONG>
I'm a man "without" the cloth sometimes. Besides, I'm a pirate at heart.

suprz
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 09:14 PM

<STRONG>

I'm a man "without" the cloth sometimes. Besides, I'm a pirate at heart. </STRONG>
oh a pirate priest.....yo HOE, yo HOE, a pirates wife for me.....

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2001, 09:18 PM

That is so Farked up

Mediaman_12: guess.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Cipher13
Dec 11, 2001, 10:15 PM

This world is one screwed up place.

otis52
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2001, 10:20 PM

Funny sh!t. I'll bet that's the most expensive load he's ever blown....
I wanted to be a artist but I became a graphic designer...
[url]http://c1g.net[url]

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2001, 10:21 PM

Well, there goes my plan to make my millions.

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2001, 04:55 PM

Hmm. I wonder who got custody of the children. Will they let the man keep one or two of his children if he has to pay for them?
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

suprz
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2001, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by cdhostage:
<STRONG>Hmm. I wonder who got custody of the children. Will they let the man keep one or two of his children if he has to pay for them?</STRONG>
HA!!!! now that's a good one! i doubt if these children even know who their father is, (even though he was a friend of the "couple") i doubt he'll get anymore than maybe visitation if that! they dont care about the father's rights or feelings, just the fathers $$$$$$

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2001, 09:23 PM

Fark rules. I don't remember who first posted the link to that site, several months ago, but that was my introduction to The Wonders of Fark.

All that said, I've never been one to think that parentage should be based solely on accidents of biology (you can't pick your biological parents, after all). So I agree that this situation is pretty farked up. Did this friend have an active role in raising the kids? Possibly, but probably not. Do the kids even know who the biological father is? Again, likely not. Given this, why should he be responsible for child support. He isn't raising them; the couple (well, ex-couple) is, and they should be the ones doing the paying.

But given this, I would say that it's probably a wise idea never to donate sperm (or eggs, for that matter) to anyone that you know personally. However good of an idea it might seem at the time, legal complications (which in this day and age are almost inevitable) are a real pain.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

grand illusion
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2001, 09:36 PM

david crosby, watch out!
They're coming to take me away, ha-haa!!! To the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time...

Matsu
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2001, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by suprz:
<STRONG>

i say let the other half of the couple pay the child support (one of them had to be the predominant "male" of the pair ) ...
</STRONG>
I love it! The strap-on wearer in the family ought to pay child support.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules