Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > GigaDesigns 1.2-1.3GHz Upgrade

GigaDesigns 1.2-1.3GHz Upgrade
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2003, 09:53 PM

I'm thinking about getting one of these bad boys for my G4/500 Sawtoothin the next couple weeks. I understand that they don't support the Sawtooth models OC'ing to 1.33 GHz, but I'm still in the market for this. I was wondering if anyone has one or has any words of wisdom. I've read the review on xlr8yourmac, and it looks pretty damn good. Any experiences?

gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2003, 12:13 AM

If you can afford it, the Giga Designs 1.25 GHz upgrade is worth it. I'm running my review unit at 1.35 GHz with no problems. It's very fast (obviously). If you want more info, I'll be posting my review of it as well as the PowerLogix and Sonnet upgrades on Wednesday.

::maroma::  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2003, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by gizzard:
If you can afford it, the Giga Designs 1.25 GHz upgrade is worth it. I'm running my review unit at 1.35 GHz with no problems. It's very fast (obviously). If you want more info, I'll be posting my review of it as well as the PowerLogix and Sonnet upgrades on Wednesday.
Great! Where will you be posting that review? I'm very interested.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2003, 03:18 AM

Check out his signature.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2003, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by a2daj:
Check out his signature.
Oh yeah, that would've helped. Thanks.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2003, 04:55 AM

OK, so I did a little more research. And it looks as though the 1GHz upgrade can be OC'd to 1.1GHz safely on a Sawtooth machine. On the other hand, the 1.2GHz card can't be OC'd at all from 1.2GHz on a Sawtooth machine. The 1GHz card is $465, and the 1.2GHz card is $600. I don't think I can justify spending the extra $135 for 100MHz.

Now I notice that Giga has 2 different 1GHz models. One with 2MB of DDR (Double Data Rate) Cache, and one with 2MB of SPB (Synchronous Pipeline Burst) Cache. The SPB model is cheaper but newer. Is the SPB Cache slower than the DDR Cache?

And has anyone had any success or failures with OCing the GigaDesigns 1GHz card on a Sawtooth machine?

gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2003, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
On the other hand, the 1.2GHz card can't be OC'd at all from 1.2GHz on a Sawtooth machine.
How do you figure? I overclocked mine to 1.35 GHz. Also, you should never buy a CPU upgrade based on overclocking potential. Not all chips will overclock the same way.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2003, 09:23 AM

How do you figure? I overclocked mine to 1.35 GHz. Also, you should never buy a CPU upgrade based on overclocking potential. Not all chips will overclock the same way.
Well, GigaDesigns states it on the specs, so I figured it was so. So you've had no problems after OC'ing your Sawtooth? Any wake from sleep issues, or crashing or data corruption? If not, and it works well, that is great news! I'd rather get the 1.2, especially if I can OC it.

Souljah
Apr 1, 2003, 12:24 PM

1.25 to 1.4 in a sawtooth no problem.I've ordered mine.

http://www.macbidouille.com/article.php?id=111&page=3

----------
G4 400 OCed to 450
Flashed PC 8500

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2003, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by Souljah:
1.25 to 1.4 in a sawtooth no problem.I've ordered mine.

http://www.macbidouille.com/article.php?id=111&page=3
Cool. While I can't read that page, I assume it's all good. Could you post your results when you get your card, if you don't mind?

Souljah
Apr 1, 2003, 09:58 PM

gp to the next page http://www.macbidouille.com/article.php?id=111&page=5
or use google or sherlock to translate
G5 DP 1.8 Rev.B 3g Ram
20" Apple Cinema.
Tigger 10.4.1

gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 03:08 PM

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 07:06 PM

1200 Megahertz Madness
Great review! Clears a lot of things up for me. I am pretty much set on getting the GigaDesigns card.

If I could ask a question, I noticed in your article, you mentioned "Blizzard's Warcraft III also ran very well, though there was some choppiness in heavy battle situations." Did you also have Warcraft III's graphics set at normal (as with the other games)? And was this in single or multi player mode? I will be doing a lot of Warcrafting, so I'm hoping it's much improved.

Thanks for the article. Can't wait to get my card!

Souljah
Apr 3, 2003, 07:29 PM

a more in depth review

http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Fr...803/main2.html

------------------
Those who can, do.
Those who cannot, teach.
Those who cannot teach, administrate

gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 08:49 PM

I had most of the detail settings in Warcraft III on high. It was in a four player game and when everyone fought, it got a little choppy.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 10:16 PM

I had most of the detail settings in Warcraft III on high. It was in a four player game and when everyone fought, it got a little choppy.
Great, thanks for the info. That should work fine for me. I am used to playing WC3 with everything on low in OS 9 in order to get good speeds. If I get at least that or better in X I will be happy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules